Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scary Games? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67143)

Madman-Rogovich 01-29-2007 04:32 PM

ello all,

I've been having a killer urge lately to play some fear inducing games of terror. :D

Anyone have any recomendations?

I'm thinkin more Silent Hill than AvP if you get my drift :D

[img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img] cheers

johnny 01-29-2007 06:39 PM

Dunno really, you can up the suspense a bit by playing with all the blinds closed, no lights, stuff like that, that way games like Unreal can make the hair in the back of your neck stand straight up. :D

Have you tried Doom 3, F.E.A.R, or Vampire Bloodlines ? They all have a certain amount of suspense. Especially the Seaside Hotel chapter in Bloodlines was scary stuff, or the house where they made those snuff movies.

Madman-Rogovich 01-29-2007 07:10 PM

Ai yeah I tend to do all the usual business with the lights etc (opening the window on a cold night can be quite effective :D )

I might give Bloodlines a try, have been through Doom 3 and FEAR and am looking for somethin a bit more psychological y'know?

[ 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Madman-Rogovich ]

johnny 01-29-2007 07:13 PM

I guess that applies to Bloodlines, good story, lots of suspence, and what's more, it's in the bargainbins these days and can be picked up for 10€ max, probably even less.

Madman-Rogovich 01-29-2007 07:26 PM

Sounds good, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Any other IWers care to post your favourite chillers?

Kyrvias 01-29-2007 08:11 PM

Quite frankly, I'm thinkin F.E.A.R is about as spycological as you can get. Other games have "BOO!" fear effects. Still, the upcoming BioShock is going to be extremely spooky :D

StigTC 01-30-2007 05:06 AM

Oh come on, F.E.A.R wasn't even remotely scary, how can you get scared by anything when the "fear-music" starts like 15 minutes before you're supposed to see something scary?

Bozos of Bones 01-30-2007 07:12 AM

Bloodlines has several levels that will really make you wish you were playing it in the middle of the town square, full of people. Especially the Hotel, by far the scarriest mission I have ever played in any game.
Fahrenheit, otherwise known as Indigo Prophecy, is also very atmospheric, and has a way of drawing you into the characters. Has a few freaky and skin-crawling levels, but nothing really gulp-inspiring.
Call of Cthulhu is also very creepy. I didn't get far into the ame, my cmputer borked unfortunately.

[ 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]

Madman-Rogovich 01-30-2007 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StigTC:
Oh come on, F.E.A.R wasn't even remotely scary, how can you get scared by anything when the "fear-music" starts like 15 minutes before you're supposed to see something scary?
Agreed, personally I found it lacking heavily in any sorta scariness but then everyone gets scared in different ways.

For years I thought the original Silent Hill could not be beat in terms of actually pushing me to the brink of hysteria and although that was a long time ago, Ive not played anything since thats come close.

Maybe Bloodlines will top it? Although Ive been wanting to try Cthulu for some time aswell. Hopefully one of these will give me a good scaring!

Dreamer128 01-30-2007 09:13 AM

Although Bloodlines is one of my favorite games and definately worth buying, I'd like to point out that the Seaside Hotel is probably the only level in the game that is likely to provide you with the type of 'suspence horror' you are looking for. Other parts of the game feature little more than the usual cheap scares, such as monsters bursting through walls. (although the designers make another brave attempt at psychological horror in the Hospital in downtown LA) Two other games you might like are Return to Castle Wolfenstein and System Shock 2 (which is freeware).

[ 01-30-2007, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]