Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is this right? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59363)

joker :) 11-27-2001 04:55 PM

Hey all again!

It's me...newbie Joker [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Anyways, I just wanted to know how come I can't increase my proficiencies for most of the weapons I want to. When one of my characters level up, and say I want to bone up on my bastard sword proficiency, why won't it let me? I have had to add something new to be proficient in, and that doesn't help me worth diddly.

Any input would be great.

Thanx as always
Joker [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS Still can't figure out my other problem (posted yesterday), but I understand that these things happen.

Mitro Jellywadder 11-27-2001 05:18 PM

Are you a ranger perhaps? They can only go up two slots. Fighters can achieve grand mastery. Five slots.

andrewas 11-27-2001 08:37 PM

first, RTFM.

right, things that occur to my cynical, paranoid mind:

you dont get a prof with ever level. fighters&rangers i know get one every third level. mage i think its every twelve. theives should be somewhere in between, god knows where druids and clerics are.

Not everyone can get every weapon. druids cant use bladed weapons (other than scimitars), theives cant use two handed swords.

only pure fighters get 5* profs. kits, duals, multis and other warrior types get 2*. magic users like mages and srocerors only get 1*.

neer mind tho, these irrelevant profs couldcome in handy when you find a weapon that puts your current one to shame. in ToB theres an axe so powerful you'll want to use it even with no axe profs.

joker :) 11-27-2001 11:29 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
Are you a ranger perhaps? They can only go up two slots. Fighters can achieve grand mastery. Five slots.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am a ranger. But when I started the game initially, I gave myself three levels on a weapon. Isn't this a little out of form? If a ranger isn't supposed to advance more than two slots in any weapon, how come I can begin the game with 3 or more?

Just a rhetorical question...

Thanx
Joker [img]smile.gif[/img]

SSJ4Sephiroth 11-27-2001 11:35 PM

erm, was that perhaps two weapon proficiency? cause thats all rangers can master in, and theyre the only class that can master in that. everything else for them is specialization, except for archers who can grandmaster in ranged weapons except for slings.

Lord Ludtke 11-27-2001 11:35 PM

I did that too, with a non-fighter, but I believe it was in one of the styles like two-weapon, or sword and sheild style. I don't think you can do it in a weapon.

Dundee Slaytern 11-28-2001 12:54 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by andrewas:
you dont get a prof with ever level. fighters&rangers i know get one every third level. mage i think its every twelve. theives should be somewhere in between, god knows where druids and clerics are.<hr></blockquote>

... ...

Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians get one * for every 3 levels.

Mages, Sorcerers get one * for every 6 levels.

Thieves, Clerics, Druids get one * for every 4 levels.

Morgeruat 11-28-2001 12:53 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

... ...

Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians get one * for every 3 levels.

Mages, Sorcerers get one * for every 6 levels.

Thieves, Clerics, Druids get one * for every 4 levels.
<hr></blockquote>

where do monks fit in? i know in first edition (which seems to be where they got alot of the stat's and stuff for monks they got 1 every 2 lvls, but 2nd edition made them a priest subclass, so do they get the 1 every 4 lvls like a reg priest, ro the 1 every 2 lvls like they were originally given?

Dundee Slaytern 11-28-2001 12:56 PM

I also do not know, as I have not touched the Monk class yet. I suspect they get it every 4 levels, but it might be every 3 levels also. A Monk player should be able to answer this.

Keylow 11-28-2001 01:11 PM

I think Monks get prof points every four lvls. Not that you're really gonna use them, coz your fists are your main weapon.

And btw, all warrior classes (Fighter, Ranger, Paladin) can get 3 * in TwoWeaponStyle. The Ranger is just suppossed to have a natural affinity for this fighting style so they get 2 * in it from the begining.

Oh yeah, Swashbucklers can get 3 * in twoWeaponStyle too.