Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Update on sorcery and spell learning (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32934)

Bungleau 01-07-2005 12:14 AM

As I mentioned previously, my ranger, samurai, and ninja were having problems learning 7th level spells in their native schools. All of them are beyond level 7, and all have at least level 7 in their native schools. I have also not spent any points on sorcery for them, until recently.

I spent one point on the samurai, raising her sorcery to around 1-3/4. She can now learn level 7 sun spells.

I have not spent any points on the ninja, who just reached level 12. Her sorcery is less than 1-1/2 (growing naturally). She still cannot learn any level 7 spells.

It appears there's a trigger in the sorcery skill to allow you to learn level 7 spells. I'm not sure if it's a minimum skill level or merely the application of a skill point, but I will keep the ninja going until her sorcery naturally reaches level 2, at which point I should be able to determine what the difference is.

Just thought I'd post this update, and relate my late great marine battle. Swimming in the waters of the enchanted sea, we were accosted by six sharks, a trio of dartha eels, and a pair of lagoon piranha. Everyone has levelled up except the warlock... :D

More later... like Saturday, probably. Got to go to Virginia tomorrow.

bsftcs 01-07-2005 06:01 AM

That is really interesting. Perhaps it is a bug, as the manual only mentions, that the magic realm level has influence on the learning of the spells - and not sorcery.

Radek 01-07-2005 06:52 AM

Aha! It would make sense if getting high level spells required a certain skill level in casting spells in general, even if I don't see a difference between Sorcery 1.5 and Sorcery 1.7 .
I haven't been able to see this effect so far because I am always upgrading my Sorcery ASAP.

Bungleau 01-07-2005 11:47 PM

I've never seen this effect before either. I'm only seeing it now because I've been doing little class-changing, and I'm following Bungleau's Rule of Skill Point Application: apply to the lowest thing on the skills list, since once it scrolls off, you can't add any more. Sorcery's comfortably on the left, so my trio (samurai, ninja, and ranger) who have all been warrior-barbarians up to this point have never had a reason to increase sorcery; it's only increased naturally.

Most likely the developers couldn't imagine a scenario where you *wouldn't* increase a spell-caster's sorcery... but I have one [img]smile.gif[/img]

More news as I discover it...

Bungleau 01-11-2005 09:57 AM

Bloodrunt the ratling ninja turned level 13 last night, with 9 in moon and about 1.25 in sorcery (no points applied). She got her last level 5 spell because she still isn't offered any level 7 spells. She also exceeded her barbarian class level, since she got six skill points to apply.

Miss Mayhem, human samurai, had one skill point applied to sorcery and has all her level 7 sun spells. Her sorcery is around 1.75, give or take a little bit. If Bloodrunt's sorcery gets beyond there, I'll test out the sorcery skill point theorem.

Fortunately, we're in the Enchanted Sea, where dartha eels, sharks, and crabs (990, 1400 and 3200 XP, roughly) seem to abound. So she should be levelling up again in the next night of gaming, which will probably be Friday.

More news as the situation warrants it.