Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Whats alignment have to do with anything? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4612)

Tom 12-09-2001 09:39 AM

Well?

say your a BAD guy, and your rep is 20, whats gonna happen? Im not counting NPC's, just the PC

Lucre 12-09-2001 10:07 AM

Nothing really, seeings as you won't have a script for your character.

Jim 12-09-2001 10:59 AM

Being evil opens up a few quests that aren't available to those of good or neutral alignment. Other than that, there's no difference

Lucre 12-09-2001 11:06 AM

There is a difference in hell...

--= Clockwork =-- 12-09-2001 11:17 AM

To actual gameplay, not much... but the whole point of Role Playing is kinda to create a character and PLAY them as their personality is intended to be...

So really, you shouldn't have an evil character with a good rep if you're role playing properly...

Also, with certain classes like Paladins and Rangers, if you're good and go all kill-spree you'll "fall"... and lose abilities etc.

Lucre 12-09-2001 11:34 AM

I used to play with a fallen Paladin in BG1 on one of the lower difficulties.

Lord Ludtke 12-09-2001 02:39 PM

The game is a little biased to good aligned PC's. I am taking a chaotic evil assassin through right now and there are times when I can either say the nice thing = good experience and possible quest or I actually role play the character and tell them off/stab them for talking to me.

During the early levels, it is really tempting to just say whatever they want to hear to get good xp. Justify it by saying it is really evil to lie to people :D

Eldoran 12-09-2001 06:37 PM

Just treat having all those rep points as an excuse to do something naughty... ;)

You can always take the "good" dialog, and then go back later and knife the person who annoyed you... A good stabbity in the head will teach them not to force you to say flowery things just for exp. Darn them, Evil Is Good! [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img]

SixOfSpades 12-09-2001 07:02 PM

Yeah.....they really should have had the game be more aware of your alignment. Your CHA determines how well your NPCs stay in line and how much stuff costs, and your Rep determines whether or not the townsfolk attack you. But what does your Alignment do? Determines your Special Abilities and possibly opens a couple of quests. Hoo boy. It should also control whether or not the NPCs will like you....like Edwin won't join someone who's Lawful Good, and Keldorn will eventually take a swing at anyone Evil.

Lord Ludtke 12-10-2001 02:01 AM

People keep saying that cha affects price but I never see a change. Sometimes I forget to put on the Ring of Human influence while I am shopping, so I end dialoge and then put it on. Go back in and the prices are the same. Rep, however has a drastic effect on price once you are up in the high teens(and conversely the 3-6 range). Rep at 20 means stuff is half price.

I have notices talking changes where the number of choices I have to say to somebody change .

ex.(spoiler?)
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
That thief that you have to get his knife you prove you dealt with him, the first time I went up to him(cha=3)my choices were 1)start swinging while calling him names or 2) sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you.

Walk away put on the ring(cha=18) and now I also have the choice 3)Give me your knife so I don't have to kill you.

But prices, no I have never found any change.