Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   -10 hitpoints (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5506)

Micah Foehammer 01-26-2002 07:54 PM

andrewas - it isn't a bug. In 2nd edition AD&D rules, there is such a thing called "Catastrophic death" where a character suffers such immense damage that kills him that he can no longer be raised or ressurected. Additionally, There is also an optional rule that when hit points fall to -10, your character is ALSO permanently dead. AND, when a raise dead or ressurection is attempted, a player must also make a system shock roll - failure to pass that also results in the characters permanent death.

Check out page 77 of the SOA manual - Combat effects and recovery - the last sentence states: "When one of your characters suffers massive damage, he or she will be forever dead, beyond hope of resurrection". So, this is NOT a bug, but something within the scope of the rules that has been implemented in the code.

Nifft the Nimble 01-26-2002 08:14 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:

Check out page 77 of the SOA manual - Combat effects and recovery - the last sentence states: "When one of your characters suffers massive damage, he or she will be forever dead, beyond hope of resurrection". So, this is NOT a bug, but something within the scope of the rules that has been implemented in the code.
<hr></blockquote>

Micah,

When catastrophic death happens (and the NPC turns into a shower of chunky bits), typically the NPCs portrait also disappears from the roster. Keldar reports that the NPC portrait is merely greyed out --- indicating non-permanent death, as far as I know.

-- Nifft, puzzled

salom 01-26-2002 08:29 PM

same thing happened not to long ago i lost minsc but just restarted wich took me another day to get back to were i was.
maybe i should save more.

LennonCook 01-27-2002 01:18 AM

<font color="lightgreen">AFAIK, this is a bug... the catestrophic death <u>only</u> occurs in core rules difficulty. I have had this happen once before myself, to my main character. The portrait was greyed out, indicating that he was dead, but I could still move around with him. I believe that what happens here is something like the character is dead, and the portrait system knows it, but the Sprites and the spell system dont. The only way to fix this- editing utility (such as SK or IEEP), or reload an old save.</font>

Keldar Silverpoint 01-27-2002 07:40 AM

Thank you all for the info. Yes, her portrait is grayed out, not missing. I know nothing about the Shadowkweep thing. I tried CTRL+R, get this, Brought the portrait back fully healed. But no Imoen! I hated even resorting to the cheat key, but hey, its a bug, so I feel that justifies the CTRL+R. So, it looks like I am gonna have to face that balor again. Thanks for all the help everyone! <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> GOT ALE?? <hr></blockquote>