Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Windows 2000 Problems... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49850)

Nyteshade 01-04-2001 02:51 AM

Ok folks, I've got a serious problem with Windows 2000(me), here it is, One day I come home and turn on my computer! Start up BG2, and have to restart my comp because of some error with the save game file. So, I restart it, when it finished loading, the colors are screwed up, the res. is 640 x 800, and i can't run anything with high color prefs. Here is what I have tried, Display; change res. and color, System restore, System; Virtual Mem. Manager. PLEASE HELP ME!! I CAN'T EVER PLAY BG2 WITHOUT THIS FIXED!!!! And I haven't even finished it yet .

- Nyte

Moiraine 01-04-2001 06:16 AM

Seems to me that it is your saved game that is corrupted in some way, not your system (how it did happen, I do not know). I would advise you to load another saved game, and erase the corrupted one from your hard disk (You have another saved game, have you ???).

Moiraine 01-04-2001 06:19 AM

And, I forgot, execute ScanDisk on your computer before launching BGII again. When problems happen on files, best to scan the whole system before doing anything and create a bigger mess.
Besides, I agree with you, W2000 is ... to stay polite, I would say ... not very stable.

Zoratorak 01-04-2001 08:01 AM

(nod head) that is why im still stuck with win98

Moiraine 01-04-2001 08:05 AM

Yeah, I know ...
I made a HUGE mistake ... I listened to my husband.
You know how men are. Not really grown up. They always want to have 'the biggest one', which translates in computer language as 'I have to have the newest fastest (and most expensive) stuff' !
I as perfectly happy myself with my Wi95 Beta ...

Kalgrog 01-04-2001 11:39 AM

Actually Windows 2000 has fairly few bugs for a system of its size. It was not meant to run games. It is a multitasking OS. Really it is a revamped Windows NT. From all sources it is not bad at all. It is also a memory hog! Another reason not to run games in it. I would go get a copy of Windows ME if you want a newer OS that is better for games. ME is more for home users, whereas 2000 is for business apps and multitasking and networking. If you don't use 2000 for any of those things, I would get rid of it, because it isn't doing you any good. Windows ME is actually supposed to be faster with games than W98 and such. I have both ME and 2000 installed on my comp. I just pick which one to load into at startup. Games for ME and all other big apps and such in 2000. My two bits.

Moiraine 01-04-2001 11:56 AM

Oops ! My mistake.

I am fairly bad with names, plus I upgraded W95 -> WME at home, and at the same time WNT4 -> W2000 at work, so I mixed the two.
I fairly agree with you. WNT / W2000 are dedicated to professional uses.
But I must say I find Win98 (I am right, this time) much more stable than WinME !