Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   George Carlin dies at 71. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99261)

Illumina Drathiran'ar 06-23-2008 03:33 AM

George Carlin dies at 71.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entert...39172520080623

I imagine now he's in that public tour in Honduras.

This hit me in a way a famous person's death has never hit me before. I've been a fan of his for the better part of 10 years. My mom bought me Brain Droppings when I was in seventh grade, and I've never looked back. I remember bringing it to school, and the nuns would say, "Does your mother know you read that filth?" I'd smile and say, "She bought it for me." That shut them up.

His outlook on life and ravings on everything, particularly politics, youth, and our society, helped keep me sane, particularly during high school. His way of expressing anger through sarcasm was a method that I, for reasons which are obvious to those who know me, identified with heavily. I've seen him live four times, and I've seen all of his specials.

He knew that forte (meaning a strength) is pronounced "fort." (Forte pronounced FOR-tay comes from the Italian word for "loud." The etymologies are different- the "forte" meaning "strength" comes from French. I always correct people on this; it's a pet peeve).

He would have made fun of me for writing this, but that's okay. He would have appreciated it if I gave into my temptation to use the seven dirty words in this post, but I feel that may be frowned upon here.

I'd appreciate it, though, if people refrain from "Rest in peace" and the like... he would have found that insufferable.

Georgie, thanks for all the laughs.

Jaradu 06-23-2008 06:22 AM

Re: George Carlin dies at 71.

Don't know what to say. :( RIP dude.

VulcanRider 06-23-2008 06:29 AM

I liked his earlier humor better, when he was more mellow. In his later years it seemed like he was just angry, with a holier-than-thou attitude. A shining example of the baby boomer generation he loved to poke fun at. About 6 months ago he appeared at a small venue less than 5 miles away from me and I decided not to go. I regret that even more now...

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2008 07:35 AM

They've been playing clips of his on CBC this morning. I don't know how he ever made a living. He's just not funny. Like VulcanRider said, he was just ranting.

Bungleau 06-23-2008 07:41 AM

He brought a different viewpoint into comedy that challenged conventional thoughts and perspectives. He will be missed....

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungleau (Post 1207807)
He brought a different viewpoint into comedy that challenged conventional thoughts and perspectives. He will be missed....

uuhhhh, not by me though..

wellard 06-23-2008 05:48 PM

I have never heard of him until this post but the testimonials above have made me interested enough to seek out some of his work. Is there any book in particular everyone recommends?

VulcanRider 06-23-2008 08:06 PM

I wouldn't look for books. I'd check for audio clips. In fact that might be a nice tribute here -- post a link to a Carlin clip.

Here is the infamous 7 Dirty Words You Can Never Say on Television

Runs about 7 minutes. Need I say it -- warning for language...

Arvon 06-23-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellard (Post 1207840)
I have never heard of him until this post but the testimonials above have made me interested enough to seek out some of his work. Is there any book in particular everyone recommends?

He'd written three books, you might look on Amazon. One title I can remember is "Brain Dropings".

wellard 06-23-2008 10:48 PM

Love that clip vulcan rider! it cracked me up!

So you can't say 'tits' on USA tv? what a shame :D