Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What kind of regional monsters do you have? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91144)

Aerich 07-23-2004 12:35 PM

I was thinking about this today, so here goes.

Here in BC (the Canadian province bordering the Pacific) we have three legendary monsters. Ogopogo, Sasquatch, and the Cadborosaurus. There's been a number of sightings and several photographs (possibly faked).

Ogopogo is reputedly a prehistoric serpentine monster that lives in Lake Okanagan. Cadborosaurus is supposedly similar, except living in the ocean and sighted in Cadboro Bay (around Victoria). Sasquatch is a mountain-dwelling bear-man creature, kind of like the Nepalese yeti. It's also been "spotted" in the American Pacific Northwest.

So, do you have any monster legends where you live? (not counting serial killers)

As another question, do you believe the monsters are real?

Rikard T'Aranaxz 07-23-2004 12:55 PM

we have Jan Peter Balkenende

Piestrider 07-23-2004 12:58 PM

Well, here in Waxahachie, Texas we have the elusive jackelope. Its the size of a jackrabbit but it has antlers like an antelope. They are very prized by the hunters around here, however, no one has ever caught one, only sightings exist. Come to think of it though, there is a jackelope antler mounted at the Rockett Cafe but I do believe that one is a fake.

VulcanRider 07-23-2004 12:58 PM

We have a legend about a "Skunk Ape". Florida's version of a Sasquatch, I think. No, I don't believe in them. AFA real monsters, Eileen Wournos cruised the highways in this area (see the movie "Monster" w/Charlize Theron), but you said serial killers don't count.

JrKASperov 07-23-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rikard T'Aranaxz:
we have Jan Peter Balkenende
Peculiarly, I was thinking the EXACT same thing.....

Shows how much we're doomed with that guy I guess... :(

Illumina Drathiran'ar 07-23-2004 01:06 PM

Depending on the season and time of month, we have a siren, a harpy, and a nymph.
And they're all too real. People in my own family can attest to barely escaping the harpy's talons.

Seraph 07-23-2004 02:01 PM

Well, we have "Champ" the Lake Champlain monster. He is basically Americas equivalent of the Loch-Ness Monster. Among the numberous Champ related events include an appearance on the TV shows Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings, and The Today Show, a Discovery Channel special in 2003, and resolutions by the Vermont House and the New York Assembly and Senate declaring that Champ is protected.

Champ's Home Page

Arvon 07-23-2004 02:05 PM

In California we have the usual run of the mill politicians.

Gnarf 07-23-2004 02:18 PM

In Norway, we got Seljordsormen... kinda like Nessie.

[ 07-23-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]

Bozos of Bones 07-23-2004 02:44 PM

Believe it or not, we have elves, gnomes and such. Not elves like D&D elves, but like small, miscevous fey creatures.