Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best piece of classical music? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87978)

Link 10-03-2003 12:52 PM

I listen to all kinds of music, varying from trance music, to punk, but when it's a quiet sunday afternoon I also tend to listen to classical music. Now I don't know if the younger ones here enjoy listening to classical music, but I reckon the older ones here do [img]smile.gif[/img]
What piece do you like best? My favorite is Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3 (this was also used in the movie Shine). It is so beautiful especially the start.. Sometimes I turn down the lights in my room so that everything is dark, turn the volume up and just lie down on my bed, listening to the music with my eyes closed.

Mouse 10-03-2003 02:12 PM

Barber's "Adagio For Strings" always has been one of my favourites (even before it became so popular :D ) Also Rachmaninov "Prelude In C Sharp Minor Op.3 No.2", Borodin "Polovtsian Dances" and Orff "Carmina Burana". In fact, now that I think of it, too many to list [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-03-2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Zuvio 10-03-2003 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Link:
I listen to all kinds of music, varying from trance music, to punk, but when it's a quiet sunday afternoon I also tend to listen to classical music. Now I don't know if the younger ones here enjoy listening to classical music, but I reckon the older ones here do [img]smile.gif[/img]
What piece do you like best? My favorite is Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3 (this was also used in the movie Shine). It is so beautiful especially the start.. Sometimes I turn down the lights in my room so that everything is dark, turn the volume up and just lie down on my bed, listening to the music with my eyes closed.

<font color=lightgreen>
Marcello's Concerto in D minor for Oboe....

I'm 22 BTW, you think I'm old?
</font>

[ 10-03-2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]

SpiritWarrior 10-03-2003 02:27 PM

Romeo & Juliett. Probably one of the best classical works ever, I'd recommend anyone to listen to it once. The movies tend to stereotype it and use the love theme for love scenes but there is much more to it than that, the whole thing tells an epic tale (really!). Oh and I'm 22 also, am I old? [img]smile.gif[/img]

GForce 10-03-2003 03:05 PM

I like Charlotte Church:

1)Pie Jesu From Requiem
ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER (b. 1948)

2)Just Wave Hello (Ford Global Anthem)
by Danny Beckerman

3)Men of Harlech
by John Ceirig Hughes (Arr. Roy Moore & Haydn James)

She's so good. [img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/monkeydoo2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bouncered2.gif[/img]

Link 10-03-2003 03:10 PM

FYI I'm 19 [img]smile.gif[/img] So I'm not that old either, but I was referring to the hoards of 12 to 14 year olds we have here ;)

Chewbacca 10-03-2003 03:15 PM

Amongst others I like Chopin, particularly- Raindrop Prelude and The Funeral March.

Timber Loftis 10-03-2003 03:42 PM

Bach Inventions, Mozart's 40th, Ein klein nacht musik

For Halloween:
Bach---Tocatta and Fugue in D minor
Gounod---Funeral March of a Marionette
Grieg---In the Hall of the Mountain King
Mussorgsky --- Night on Bald Mountain
Saint-Saens---Danse Macabre

Oh, and I love Strauss's Burleske in D minor (or is it Waltz? Sonata? :( I forget) for piano.

[ 10-03-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]

AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe 10-03-2003 04:38 PM

Beethovan's 5th symphony two thumbs up

Davros 10-03-2003 06:54 PM

Swanlake - the whole darned thing - it's all good.