Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Of Paladins and the little Gnomes (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24162)

Ultra Marine 01-14-2006 08:34 PM

I like the little gnomes. They have that nice helm which gives them better AC than paladins. My gnomes are always in front tanking. Does yours work the same? Or most of you put paladins in the front?

Dundee Slaytern 01-14-2006 09:35 PM

Paladin can get better AC than Gnomes equipped with the Helm of the Defender. Not to mention immunities, saving throws, etc...

Tanking is more than just AC.

[ 01-14-2006, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Klorox 01-14-2006 11:24 PM

Gnomes and Paladins both make good tanks. And tanks are what excel in this game.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Definitely. I even take it as far as wearing regular, unenchanted platemail armor instead of the better AC version so I can add an item that boosts Saving Throws. Well, most of the time anyway. Sometimes there are good bonuses other than AC that will sway me to equip the armor (I have an armor now that grants fear/emotion immunity).

[ 01-14-2006, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Klorox ]

Aerich 01-15-2006 12:27 AM

If I don't take a paladin, my tank is often a gnome (otherwise a dwarf). Gnomes are good; very much a "sleeper" race in this game.

IMO, you want one "damage soak" tank with good saves and amazing AC and/or resistances. Any other melee characters should be offensive in nature, built for decent defence and excellent offence, whose role is to step in and deal damage after the paladin (or summoned creature) is targeted in the first round of a fight.

Don't forget, only a fighter or cleric gnome (or halfling) can use the helm. An Illusionist/Thief is out of luck on that score, and shouldn't be tanking anyway. ;)

Ultra Marine 01-15-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Paladin can get better AC than Gnomes equipped with the Helm of the Defender. Not to mention immunities, saving throws, etc...

How can the Paladin get better AC? I must have missed an enchanted helm then.

Kyrvias 01-15-2006 02:22 AM

You could use DaleKeeper to make a Gnome Paladin... but that would be considered cheating [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ultra Marine 01-15-2006 03:20 AM

Gnome Paladin ...hmmmm... too short. I never heard of a gnome paladin. Elf paladin maybe.

Klorox 01-15-2006 05:58 AM

Ultra Marine: I think Paladins get pegged into the Tank role because of the "Protection from Evil" ability they have innately, which lasts a really long time. The higher saving throws are great too.

Dundee Slaytern 01-15-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ultra Marine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

How can the Paladin get better AC? I must have missed an enchanted helm then. </font>[/QUOTE]Spells.

Kyrvias 01-15-2006 02:08 PM

Have your paladin use his/her innate Protection from Evil spell, cast the wizard variant on him/her, then cast the clerical version. That's a total of 6 to your ac score! Not to mention the other bonuses.