Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ahoy! Tis time to talk pirate, me hearties (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101064)

VulcanRider 09-18-2009 08:42 PM

Ahoy! Tis time to talk pirate, me hearties

Quote:

Easy tip number one, if you want to talk like a pirate: Add "me hearties" to the end of any sentence.

The meaning is simple -- "my friends, my mates" -- said John "Ol' Chumbucket" Baur, before offering as way of example, "Turn your head and cough, me hearties. Or, fill it up with regular, me hearties."

Saturday marks "Talk Like a Pirate Day," an observance that has been recognized on all seven continents and beyond. It inspires dress and behavior -- of the Long John Silver variety -- in seedy bars, staid workplaces and even the International Space Station. It has fueled fundraisers, been the topic for a New York Times crossword puzzle and mentioned on various game shows.

It was an idea born in 1995 on an Albany, Oregon, YMCA racquetball court. Baur, 54, and his friend Mark "Cap'n Slappy" Summers, 46, began unleashing insults at one another, as pirates might.

"We just grew up in a time and place where we saw the wrong movies, read the wrong books," Baur said from his current home in St. Croix, Virgin Islands. Putting their deep-thinking noggins together, the two decided the world needed in on this, too.

They selected September 19, simply because Summers had recently divorced, it was his ex-wife's birthday, and he figured "the date was stuck in my head, and I wasn't going to do anything with it anymore."
More here...

Legolas 09-18-2009 10:40 PM

Re: Ahoy! Tis time to talk pirate, me hearties

Avast ye poxy scallywags, thar be grog ta drink and plunder fer plundring sez I. If it nae be the finest holiday ta grace the seven seas, by the Powers!
Arrr, and thrice Arr to me fella Cap'ns. Smartly me hearties, thar be but scant hours left.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 09-19-2009 02:34 AM

Yarr, if ye be comin' by my Staaaarrrrrrrrbucks today, ye may be havin' the fartune of seein' we be observin' this glorious day today!

Wolf Rider2 09-19-2009 02:56 AM

Arrr, ye scurvy dogs! Whar be the rum? Hoist the mains'l and we'll be away ter plunder them landlubbers, scallywags!

And whar be me parrot?

VulcanRider 09-19-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 (Post 1233883)
And whar be me parrot?

He were delishus!!!

Wolf Rider2 09-19-2009 08:36 PM

Yer rascal! He were not s'posed ter be yer dinner! Draw yer cutlass, lad, and I'll draw yer blood!

Did he taste like chicken, yer scurvy dog?

machinehead 09-19-2009 11:31 PM

He tasted like crackers, Ya scurvy dog!

Wolf Rider2 09-20-2009 05:14 AM

Crackers!? My Polly taste like crackers? Ay, that's below the belt, that is, yer jelly-legged pirate!

wellard 09-21-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 (Post 1233896)
Crackers!? My Polly taste like crackers? Ay, that's below the belt, that is, yer jelly-legged pirate!

LMAO - :hehe: - Ho, Ho, Ho me lads if ya were shipshape now it would be a polygon hey?

Late I be, becalmed i was - damn those trade winds.

;)

Wolf Rider2 09-21-2009 05:50 PM

Arr, those fickle winds have disposed of many a pirate in these dangerous waters. Good to see you safe, lad. Now bring us some rum :)