Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Soloing? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58936)

Sinnestersteve 11-13-2001 05:20 PM

Ok,ive never really considered soloing.. but its starting to sound interesting. Just out of curiosity though, do the soloers play from the very first alone, or do they go solo later? Seems like some areas would be rather difficult alone, especially as a magic user of sorts. Any advice?

250 11-13-2001 05:21 PM

my definition of solo is roll a character, then set out the adventure from the very beginning [img]smile.gif[/img] no items importing of any sort

Sinnestersteve 11-13-2001 05:29 PM

But what about the use of the NPC characters that you meet along the way, seems like it might make the game develop a lot less with out the subplots that invole the other chars.

250 11-13-2001 05:31 PM

trade off

AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe 11-13-2001 05:37 PM

thats one of the disadvantages. i am currently soloing with a jester, and its really really hard. i was thinking about getting cernd too or whatever his name is because druids are pretty wothless too, but i dont know whether i want to add another party, we'll have to see what the cards show.

Mitro Jellywadder 11-14-2001 03:34 AM

Soloing is actually easier than running a full party. You're not constantly worrying about what everyone is doing, who's taking damage, etc. You focus on yourself and you always know what's going on. Some of the battles are hard, but you learn a lot of new tricks that you hadn't thought of before.

If you take characters into your party, that defeats the purpose of playing the game solo.

Fuzzy Animal 11-14-2001 10:14 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
Soloing is actually easier than running a full party. You're not constantly worrying about what everyone is doing, who's taking damage, etc. You focus on yourself and you always know what's going on. Some of the battles are hard, but you learn a lot of new tricks that you hadn't thought of before.

If you take characters into your party, that defeats the purpose of playing the game solo.
<hr></blockquote>I'm just breezing through the game. You get higher level just by yourself quicker, and get to do quests with ease that were harder for a full party at lower levels. I really get a lot of satisfaction in destroying enemies in certain areas that have always been a pain before. Since I'm a sorcerer, I HAVE to rely on my spells instead of doing any melee, and I have learned a lot. If I play the game again with a full party, I will be just that better of a mage.

Dundee Slaytern 11-14-2001 12:34 PM

I do not recommend new starters to play the game solo. The game was designed for party interaction, and by starting off soloing immediately, you will miss out a lot of the game's interaction.

I played with a party for many, many rounds, before I finally decided to solo. I took the next step because by then, I had more or less experienced what having a party had to offer already. I needed a new challenge, and soloing was the next natural step.

Soloing may seen daunting at first, but if you have played the game before, you have the advantage of foreknowledge. You know what is going to happen, so you know what to prepare. It is actually a test of your skill and knowledge of the game, especially when you solo on Insane Difficulty. ;)

Fuzzy Animal 11-14-2001 01:08 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I do not recommend new starters to play the game solo. The game was designed for party interaction, and by starting off soloing immediately, you will miss out a lot of the game's interaction.<hr></blockquote>I agree new players should play with a party first for a full roleplaying experience. I'm just powergaming now for kicks. I've played several times with a party, and may again. I still haven't completed ToB.

Lucre 11-14-2001 02:48 PM

Don't you people get required NPC's just to get your strongholds?