Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deciding which game to get... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102128)

Wolf Rider2 09-24-2011 01:33 AM

Deciding which game to get...

I'm desperately in need of a new game or two, but I really don't know what to get. I'm getting mixed reviews of everything on the market at the moment, so I thought I'd ask the people here for some opinions.

I don't mind if it's for xbox or pc, however fps are preferred for xbox, and rpg or rts for pc.

Any suggestions?

Albromor 09-24-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Deciding which game to get...

it would be helpful if you could give a top 10 list per genre' of games you have already played. otherwise we could be making suggestions only to read that you've already played it.

Plus it will give us an idea of the type of game style/form you prefer per genre'.

SpiritWarrior 09-24-2011 08:17 PM

Bioshock 1 & 2, StarCraft 2 for starters and, if you haven't tried them yet. Sims Medieval is somewhat entertaining for a while.

Wolf Rider2 09-25-2011 03:25 AM

For xbox, I like games such as Halo, Assassin's Creed, stuff like that.
For pc, generally games like Age of Empires, Oblivion, Myst etc.

SW, I haven't played any of those yet, I'll give them a shot, thanks :)

uk_john 09-25-2011 07:16 AM

If you like a cRPG in the vein of Deus Ex, with deep roleplaying and HL2 type combat, you need to check out an indie game called E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. It's $20 on Steam, so it won't break the bank!

There are lots of video's on You Tube and the game is getting 8's and 9's.

Imagine a game that has the gameworld of Deus Ex mixed with Bladerunner, huge game levels with lots of reasons to explore and more augmentations and PSI elements than the original Deus Ex!

It has taken game idea's from classic games, so for example, your character can panic and you allocate the number of scientists to do research, as in X-Com!

SpiritWarrior 09-25-2011 10:05 PM

The many Total War games are fun also. Civ 5 can consume hours of your time if you let it.

Timber Loftis 09-26-2011 12:30 AM

Have you given WoW a shot yet? It's a perennial favorite, and it has maybe another 3ish years left in it before it becomes totally outdated. It's made me shelve most all other games, even those competitors I tried along the way, for the past 6ish years.

Kezardin 09-26-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 (Post 1247433)
For pc, generally games like Age of Empires, Oblivion, Myst etc.

If you haven't tried it yet, the Nehrim total conversion for Oblivion is quite enjoyable - audio is German but there's English text.

I recently installed Temple of Elemental Evil (from GOG.com) and the Circle of 8 modpack - haven't gone far yet.

SpiritWarrior 09-26-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Loftis (Post 1247443)
Have you given WoW a shot yet? It's a perennial favorite, and it has maybe another 3ish years left in it before it becomes totally outdated. It's made me shelve most all other games, even those competitors I tried along the way, for the past 6ish years.

Aye WoW has much longevity.

Raistlin Majere 09-26-2011 10:19 AM

I am personally waiting eagerly for Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Heros of Might and Magic 6(though it may well be a flop). Thus trying to avoid buying too many games at this point..However, CIV 5 is very entertaining, Shogun 2 less so than I expected..