Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Zonealarm Pro-Free?!?!? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92153)

Sigmar 11-05-2004 03:44 AM

Right when I got my new computer I downloaded Zonealarm sooner than later to avoid the problems I had with my last computer (it essentially blowing up >_< )

So I downloaded what is to my understanding the best free firewall on the 'net. Zonealarm. So I did, and when it asked whether I would like to try out Zonealarm Pro for 15 days I said sure.

It's been really useful, but I had no intention of shelling out $15 for it or whatever. Not that I could anyway! :D

BUT [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Something's happened, it should have expired by now, 23 days ago in fact. Every time the reminder screen loads up when I turn on my computer it says I got 0 days with my trial period of Zonealarm Pro left.

But it's still working, all the features only availiable with the Pro version are still working!

Has this happened to anyone else?

[ 11-05-2004, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]

johnny 11-05-2004 03:54 AM

Nope, as far as i know it's not free, are you sure it's still working properly ?

Sigmar 11-05-2004 03:59 AM

Yep, the only difference seems to be that I can't use the update services as it is the trial/beta version.

Works perfectamundo though.

johnny 11-05-2004 04:04 AM

Hm...there must be a catch, this shouldn't be happening. I installed the trial version too at first, but uninstalled it later and got the freeware instead.

Harkoliar 11-05-2004 04:09 AM

lucky you then?? well if you worried that it may not be good since you cant update.. then go back to free.

Sigmar 11-05-2004 04:17 AM

It's not registered.

But it's got all the features the free one doesn't have, like "cache cleaner".

Sigmar 11-05-2004 04:18 AM

You're right about that Harkoliar, I'll probably have to ditch it eventually.

Bungleau 11-05-2004 10:29 AM

I've had that happen periodically. Eventually I upgraded and it started behaving again.

The neat thing is that every time you upgrade ZA, you get another chance to try ZA Pro... which I've done several times now.

RoSs_bg2_rox 11-05-2004 11:39 AM

Yes, I used to do that too on this system, but I moved onto a hardware firewall now and I use Norton on my other computers, so ZA and all its wonder is no longer with me. :(

:D

[ 11-05-2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]

Bungleau 11-05-2004 04:05 PM

Interesting. My hardware firewall (Linksys gateway/router) protects me from the outside, but it doesn't protect me from anything that's on the inside. So if one computer on my network gets a trojan or something, the hardware firewall is useless.

That's where ZA comes in... to protect me from things already here trying to get out. In fact, it popped up with something interesting last night. Intellitype Pro (the software that drives the Microsoft keyboard I have) was trying to access the internet for some reason... and since I can't think of a thing it would need, I put it on the black list.

If you've got a more advanced hardware firewall, you can protect against outgoing traffic as well.