Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can you write posts if someone is looking over your shoulder? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89390)

Yorick 02-21-2004 11:39 PM

Yes? No? Does it depend on the type of post you write?

Harkoliar 02-22-2004 12:21 AM

it depends of course!

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-22-2004 12:31 AM

That it does. Though more often than not I can't post on IW if someone's watching. What would it do to my image if people knew I regularly post on a gaming forum?
(In all seriousness, I'd just end up making an obscene suggestion if someone took issue with it. But whatever.)

Gangrell 02-22-2004 12:53 AM

No, not really. It just bugs me when someone watches me type out my opinions and such because frankly, it's none of their business [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yorick 02-22-2004 01:10 AM

Why is that I wonder.... why does it bug us so?

Is it like someone listening in on a private conversation? But it's a public forum... most odd don't you think?

Gangrell 02-22-2004 01:30 AM

Not really Yorick, people in this forum know each other and know what's going on in each thread. I mean most of the time the people that I've seen try to look over my shoulder misunderstand and think posting in a forum is funny, so IMO, it's none of their business. Now if someone understood and they posted ina forum reguarly, then I might not be so bothered by it, but I don't know. Sense of privacy I guess.

Nerull 02-22-2004 01:37 AM

I don't really like anyone looking over my shoulder, period. If I'm typing, I'll immediately stop and ask them what they want. It's not that I'm typing something that I have a problem with them seeing, it's just the fact that I find it really rude for others to intrude on your privacy by looking over your shoulder and reading what you are typing. Just ask, I'll tell you what I'm typing. But don't just stand over my shoulder and read what I'm typing. In fact, don't intrude on my personal space unwanted by hanging over my shoulder unless I tell you otherwise. I don't do it to others out of simple respect; I just ask the same.

Kakero 02-22-2004 03:32 AM

It really bugs me when my mum is seeing me typing on the forum. She will always make the comment " How old are you son? "

However, if it's other people I have no problem. They can look word per word if they want to.

Chewbacca 02-22-2004 03:42 AM

Many excellent discussions and shared laughs have been borne here at home because my fiance was reading over my shoulder.

Arledrian 02-22-2004 04:15 AM

It doesn't bother me too much at all, actually. I'm not often self-conscious about the things I write because my posts are rarely deep enough for me to consider them too personal. I keep my posting light-hearted as I'm not great at taking criticism or dealing with others attacking my viewpoints or beliefs - I know this and so steer clear of anything potentially risky in terms of debates.

This is why I think someone participating in a deep or sensitive discussion (such as those in the CE forum) would have a harder time with someone looking over their shoulder. The issues are more delicate and the responses that they generate are far more personal than anything light and generic that I'd post here in GD, for example.

[ 02-22-2004, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]