Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Science- Religion or Not? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79588)

Sir Goulum 06-16-2002 12:14 PM

<font color=Orange>This is a discussion guys. No flaming or stuff like that.

I think it isn't a religion. A religion has a god or a creator of some sort. Science has nothing but facts or theories.</font>

Talthyr Malkaviel 06-16-2002 12:19 PM

Well, I don't think it is a religion, but there are religions without a God creator- Buddhism for example. [img]smile.gif[/img]

SomeGuy 06-16-2002 12:19 PM

How can science be a religion? Unless you worship chemicals,ideas,and other sciency stuff like that it can't be a religion.Plainly,my science teacher ruined my science liking and I don't want to be a scientest anymore.It's was all my science teacher,my farting science teacher.Now I have no idea what I want to be.

Lord Shield 06-16-2002 12:22 PM

heh! Well, Scientologists were something else. But no, I don't think they're the same. One relies on logic the other Faith

johnny 06-16-2002 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SomeGuy:
How can science be a religion? Unless you worship chemicals,ideas,and other sciency stuff like that it can't be a religion.Plainly,my science teacher ruined my science liking and I don't want to be a scientest anymore.It's was all my science teacher,my farting science teacher.Now I have no idea what I want to be.
i thougt you wanted to be a penguin ? :D

Sir Goulum 06-16-2002 12:24 PM

<font color=Orange>Just for the sake of argument...

But you could say that someone has their beliefs about something such as the laws of gravity. Now how different is that from believing that there is a god that created the world and the universe?</font>

Lord Shield 06-16-2002 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Goulum:

But you could say that someone has their beliefs about something such as the laws of gravity. Now how different is that from believing that there is a god that created the world and the universe?</font>

because Gravity is a proven fact. God isn't

NEXT!!!! :D

Sir Goulum 06-16-2002 12:48 PM

<font color=Orange>Then take a theory. Any theory. They aren't proven</font>

Neb 06-16-2002 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord Shield:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sir Goulum:

because Gravity is a proven fact. God isn't

NEXT!!!! :D
</font>[/QUOTE]What proof do you have of Gravity? It might be something else that just fits with the observations we have made so far [img]tongue.gif[/img] We could suddenly see something that would NOT fit with Gravity, making it an unproven fact. But we have faith in and believe that there is no such thing.

Faith and belief are not things of science, but of religion [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sir Goulum 06-16-2002 01:43 PM

<font color=Orange>THANK YOU Neb!</font>