Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My 37" Sharp LCD TV (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100939)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 07-21-2009 04:38 PM

My 37" Sharp LCD TV

.. is very nice BUT, when the TV is on, both my Beta and VHS VCR remotes will not work.

I finally called Sharp today because I only bought it last month and they basically told me too bad, there's nothing they can do. The 2 VCR's are excellent and I have no reason to get rid of them.

Has anyone heard of this, or encountered the same thing?

I'm going to try to use the Yamaha receiver remote to learn the VCRs functions and see if that might work...

Weird eh,

Firestormalpha 07-21-2009 05:42 PM

Re: My 37" Sharp LCD TV

as in they don't work on the TV? or they somehow don't work period? I'd contact the vhs/beta manufacturers and/or read the owners manual. Usually they will say that within FCC (or your nations equivalent) regulations the device has to put up with the interference of any other devices in the vicinity. Or something to that effect.

Chewbacca 07-21-2009 05:56 PM

Wow, BETA. Never seen one. Is it really superior to VHS?

A universal remote with at least 3 devices and toss out the TV remote(as far as a junk drawer).

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 07-21-2009 06:33 PM

The play, stop, FFW and rewind functions do not work, on both.

Most of the other functions do, but those are the ones you need the most.

As for which is better:
I really can't knock the VHS (Panasonic). It was about $2000.00 in it's day. I got it for about half price. I took it in for servicing and even the guys at the shop were impressed with it.

The Sony Super Beta-Hifi ($1000.00 in it's day) is quite the beast though. The big advantage with the Beta is the fact that is starts and stops exactly where it should. The VHS models always move the tape a little, so you can imagine it's a nightmare for editting etc.

Both have more features than I care to list here. The Beta has some Digital functions that were way ahead of it's time. The VHS has some really nice features as well.

The Beta is the SL-HF860D Super BETA Hi-Fi
The Panasonic is the OMnivision PV-4768-K

Chewbacca 07-22-2009 02:07 PM

Sounds like some fun gear! Did you ask the guys at the shop about the remote issue?

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 07-22-2009 03:03 PM

Yeah,
I did get the Yami' remote to learn the VHS remote, but it did not help. I'm not sure what else I can do. I might drop in the Staples and see if they have any ideas. I did buy it there.

Ilander 07-22-2009 04:27 PM

Sounds like electromagnetic interference, my friend...moving the players away from the television may help...so, my suggestion is to buy some long cables...