Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Familiars? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58919)

Anarion 11-13-2001 08:25 AM

HELP! How do you care for familiars? my familiar wants food? where do i obtain some from? and what else do you need to do to stop your familiar dying ( mines a ferret)

Mitro Jellywadder 11-13-2001 09:24 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Radiant_Memphit:
HELP! How do you care for familiars? my familiar wants food? where do i obtain some from? and what else do you need to do to stop your familiar dying ( mines a ferret)<hr></blockquote>

Stick him (or her) into your backpack. Then you don't have to worry about it dying. Mine has never gotten hungry. If he did, I'd just slap it in the head and then stick it in my pack. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anarion 11-13-2001 09:32 AM

[img]smile.gif[/img] thanks.

Fuzzy Animal 11-13-2001 10:17 AM

You don't really need to feed familiars, they just like to make cute comments. I also suggest keeping familiars in your backpack, most of the time. I actually lost mine once going from one area to another. It must have been a bug.

Bokken 11-13-2001 12:47 PM

How do I summon one? I've tried many times but nothing seems to ever happen. I've pretty much given up on them.

Morgeruat 11-13-2001 01:00 PM

You can only summon one if your main character is a mage, if an NPC mage tries to cast it you won't get one
*wanted a pseudodragon for aerie*

Bokken 11-13-2001 01:05 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Morgeruat:
You can only summon one if your main character is a mage, if an NPC mage tries to cast it you won't get one
*wanted a pseudodragon for aerie*
<hr></blockquote>

It's Aerie that I've tried to summon them with actually. She casts the spell and I sit there watching the screen for a few moments but til now nothing has ever happened.

Kaleban 11-13-2001 01:08 PM

Only the protagonist (main character) can have a Familiar. Which means that your main character must have spell ability (Bard, Mage, etc.) and have the spell Find Familiar, either as part of their repertoire or as a scroll.

If your intelligence is 18 or less, I suggest reading the scroll. You can keep the Familiar, but do not need the spell itself in your spellbook. I highly advise against selecting Find Familiar as a Sorcerer...

Bokken 11-13-2001 01:12 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kaleban:
Only the protagonist (main character) can have a Familiar. Which means that your main character must have spell ability (Bard, Mage, etc.) and have the spell Find Familiar, either as part of their repertoire or as a scroll.<hr></blockquote>

Ahh fair enough. I thought even my companion Mage could have one. Explains why it's never summoned every time I have tried it heh

Drifter 11-13-2001 06:24 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fuzzy Animal:
I actually lost mine once going from one area to another. It must have been a bug.<hr></blockquote>

My familier flaked out on me when I tried to remove it from my backpack in a certain area..it just kinda disappeared to another, completely black, screen. I thought "screw it" (I couldn't get it back out of the screen) and clicked back to my main party.
I had to reload. The game wouldn't let me enter any party-required areas :(

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Aside from the HP bonuses, what is the main use of a familier anyway? Mine has never really done much for me (then again, I DID get stuck with a faerie dragon)