Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A question for you Canadians... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94818)

Calaethis Dragonsbane 02-07-2006 01:39 AM

What's there to do in Toronto? I mean, aside from the CN Tower, Centre Island and Casa Loma. See, if you must all know, I'm "disappearing" for three weeks and showing up on the gf's door unannounced - you know, a surprise visit(yes, I know she'll be there)... ...soooo I kinda like to know if there's anything fun to do apart from the three above places.

Cheers in advance,

CD.

True_Moose 02-07-2006 01:41 AM

I'm probably the only Canadian never to have been. The airport terminal's nice...

Sir Goulum 02-07-2006 01:48 AM

Hockey Hall of Fame? Uhh.... I'm drawing blanks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If you can make the trip to Ottawa, you can see all the good museums, the parliament buildings etc. It's a 3 hour drive or something like that though.

Calaethis Dragonsbane 02-07-2006 01:53 AM

Hmm... well, I've been to Niagra Falls before, and that's what? An hour and a half? Two hours or so?

Actually, I think one of her friends studies in Ottawa.. but I'll think about it. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

True_Moose 02-07-2006 02:04 AM

If you can, it's pricey, but if you could get to see a Maple Leafs game, well, there's nothing on earth like an NHL game. And though I hate them, the Leafs have a hell of a lot of fans.

Honestly, I think Toronto's a little overrated for tourists. From what I can tell, it's got everything a big city should have (sports franchises, universities, big buildings,) but nothing extraordinarily interesting. I would tend to agree with Goulum, there's a lot of great stuff in Ottawa.

Knightscape 02-07-2006 02:29 AM

ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)

St. Lawrence Market

Ontario Science Centre

Lord of the Rings the musical -although I don't know if it has officially started yet and besides it just seems wrong

Toronto Maple Leafs(NHL)/Toronto Raptors(NBA)

PATH (the underground walkway)

[ 02-07-2006, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Knightscape ]

javan 02-07-2006 02:52 AM

It all depends on what you are interested in seeing, Calaethis Dragonbane.

Check out this site for current events.

Aerich 02-07-2006 04:03 AM

Do you want culture or entertainment? ;)

Personally, I'd ask all the young people you meet what the best bars/clubs are. Also, Toronto is Canada's biggest city, so the number of concerts there is unmatched in the country. It's also a great place for trying food; almost every ethnicity imaginable has a corresponding restaurant...

You should definitely check out a hockey game while you're in the land of the puck. For a less expensive game and a better chance of getting tickets, you could try for tickets to an AHL game (still pro, but one step below the NHL) or OHL game (juniors - most players under 19). Arguably, these games will give you a better taste of Canadiana than an NHL game and all the museums put together. I'm a big fan of juniors and minor pro hockey. [img]smile.gif[/img] Here are the websites of the Toronto Marlies the AHL team, and here is the website of the Ontario Hockey League. There should be ticket info somewhere on each site.

pritchke 02-07-2006 11:42 AM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Personally I think Toronto is overrated unless you enjoy shopping. You want culture and Entertainment Montreal is most likely a better city.</font>

Calaethis Dragonsbane 02-07-2006 04:53 PM

Thanks guys. Honestly, I don't mind what I do as long as I don't sit around doing nothing. So aside from Toronto and Ottawa, is there anything nearby (in that kind of radius or accessable from Toronto) that's worth seeing?