Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101173)

Ziroc 11-16-2009 11:29 PM

A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Here we go. Been watching this 'tiny' story for over a Month now. The main stream media hasn't even spoken about it here in the US, but this is 'it' guys. H1N1 has mutated as I knew it would.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...than-swine-flu

USA Media doesn't seem to give a crap unless we are hit with something.. Don't they understand what happens anywhere can be HERE in a simple plane trip?

Keep your eyes open, wash your hands, get some of that purell stuff--just don't go overboard :) Being
'too clean' can make you more susceptible too. lovely, eh?

Anyone out of the USA getting this news?

Quote:

Russia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and Romania, countries that border Ukraine, have already launched health checks on Ukrainians entering their territory.
Slovakia has closed two of five border crossings.
Wow...

The WHO needs to get samples and a vaccine for this fast..

What worries me is this:
"ANTI-RUSSIAN AREA OF UKRAINE WORST"

Wonder if Russia created this? I wouldn't put it past them these days. Russia would love nothing less than reclaiming their breakaway states.

Anyway, if anyone has any news on it, post it here...

Illumina Drathiran'ar 11-17-2009 01:25 AM

Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

That article reads like the Pandemic news feed. Wonder when Madagascar is going to wise up and close its shipyards...

Hindsight 11-17-2009 06:59 AM

I think always something will come to threaten us. When was last time you hear news of AIDS, VD, smalpox, diarrhea...? Lucky, after 2012 non will matter. :)

Legolas 11-17-2009 07:11 AM

I wouldn't know what to make of it.
I seriously doubt there's any evil intent behind the outbreaks like attempted genocide, aerial spraying of virus or vaccin, or an effort to delay elections, though I'm sure the latter'll suit some politicians just the same. An accident of course is always possible, yet I don't see how that would grow out of control so much if nothing else was wrong.
The sheer amount of people said to be infected suggests that the virus(?) has been active for quite a few weeks now without being contained, supposedly because people would rather eat chicken soup than visit a doctor, or because of increased infectivity.

Then there's talk of swine flu, mutated swine flu, three other flues, and an offshoot of the black plague, any or all of which could be active, though I expect only one of them causes so much damage to the lungs.
Because most of the ill and dead haven't been tested for what got them (or the figures are just not known) it's rather difficult to tell what's what.
According to the WHO at least some of the deaths are from swine flu, whilst in another article about the spread to China it's claimed antibiotics are an effective treatment to this pneumonic plague, which would in fact suggest it's not a virus at all, but bacterial.

I'm afraid Ukraine's president and opposition, Russia, China, the WHO, local healthcare officials, conspiracy theorists, various virologists and others will continue to send out conflicting statements for some time before we'll get a good idea of what's really going on.

Larry_OHF 11-17-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

tFrom article:
...three causes of serious viral infections came together simultaneously in Ukraine – two seasonal flus and the Californian flu

Any reason the Swine/H1N1/Mexican flu is now being called "Californian" as if it originated here?

Legolas 11-17-2009 08:56 AM

Apparently, it may have.
Here's one article from May 1st talking about that.
I do know that giving it five different names doesn't make things any clearer!

DrowArchmage 11-19-2009 11:29 AM

This is just what we need. More crap to throw on everyone. What ever happend to not inciting mass hysteria?

ElfBane 11-19-2009 01:42 PM

I'm not hysterical. Really,,, not,,, HYSTERICAL........OKKKKKK!?!

SecretMaster 11-19-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrowArchmage (Post 1235557)
This is just what we need. More crap to throw on everyone. What ever happend to not inciting mass hysteria?

That doesn't sell any more. Remember nearly all media outlets are a business at heart, so they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Ridiculous media hype will get those viewers.

SpiritWarrior 11-20-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretMaster (Post 1235567)
That doesn't sell any more. Remember nearly all media outlets are a business at heart, so they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Ridiculous media hype will get those viewers.

100% agree.