Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A: Drive Bug? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90530)

Larry_OHF 07-09-2004 08:22 AM

<font color=skyblue>Sometimes, if I open a file on my computer that I had previously pulled off of a disk and saved onto the desktop...the A Drive will turn on and look for something for a brief moment, although the file I opened is on the desktop. There is no disk for the drive to read in the drive, but the file makes the drive look, but then when it realizes that there is no disk and that the file is on the harddrive, it operates normally, and the drive shuts off.

What the heck, man?</font>

Paladin2000 07-09-2004 09:06 AM

Probably the pointer in the file is still pointing towards Drive A, therefore it will look for Drive A whenever you tried to save it, but as far as I know, after resaving it onto the HDD for the first time, the weird behavior will go away.

On the the example of such behavior that I know of it MS Word. For example, if you open a document in Drive A, then save it onto Drive C. But when you tried to exit, the autosave function or some weird command in the Word will try and locate the original file, which is in Drive A.

[added]
In the case of Word, the way to counter this bug is to open the document, save it onto drive C, then closes the original copy, which is in drive A. Then issue an "open document" and select the file which is in drive C.

[ 07-09-2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]

Felix The Assassin 07-09-2004 01:29 PM

Exactly.
In the future open the file, then click 'save as', then save it where you want it.

People still use A: drives?

Larry_OHF 07-09-2004 02:10 PM

<font color=skyblue>It is strictly for school stuff... :D

Thanks for the info!</font>

Zero Alpha 07-09-2004 04:34 PM

Easy 3 step solution to your problem

1. take the A: drive out your computer
2. smash it into a million pieces, then burn the pieces.
3. go buy a usb flash drive

worries over :D

edit: works even better if its on the scool computers [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

[ 07-09-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]

Animal 07-09-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>Sometimes, if I open a file on my computer that I had previously pulled off of a disk and saved onto the desktop...the A Drive will turn on and look for something for a brief moment, although the file I opened is on the desktop. There is no disk for the drive to read in the drive, but the file makes the drive look, but then when it realizes that there is no disk and that the file is on the harddrive, it operates normally, and the drive shuts off.

What the heck, man?</font>

Hmmm...I seem to remember a certain person..cough..cough..Larry..cough.cough that reprimanded a certain member some time back for all the computer problems she was having and posting about. [img]smile.gif[/img] :D

Perhaps some of her gremlins have made their way over to your place, Larry. :D

Larry_OHF 07-09-2004 06:50 PM

<font color=skyblue>Hey! At least I ain't cooking no blue eggs, man!</font>