Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Some Interesting Alternatives.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59091)

Lifetime 11-18-2001 09:50 AM

I just got back BG2 from a friend along with TOB, and after months of doing without it, I am playing the heck out of it! I tried 3 characters (not to mention hours of rolling up stats.. grrrr)
Sorceror, Monk and Fighter/Mage (I think thats it)
The Sorc was too boring, Monk was too powerful (if his hands could slay practically everything in the first dungeon unaided, I didnt want to play a game when he REALLY gets up in levels)

And now I'm using a Fighter/Mage with yes, I'm for real, proficiencies in both Quarterstaves and Scimitars and Two-Handed Style. And I can tell you that right now, I'm prizing enchanted staves a heck of a lot more than when I used to chuck them in the back row with my mages. The only reason why he's a mage is so he can use the better staves in the game, and throw some spells on the side (I'm having a field day role-playing him..)

Anyone ever try something as odd as this? Like a Barbarian that uses nothing but daggers and shortswords? I'm suddenly finding an appreciation for the lesser-used items in the game and its a totally different experience!

SecretMaster 11-18-2001 09:56 AM

Well, in my opinion, no one seems to use the halberds, but i love em. Daggers are great for my mages, and the only thing i reject is darts and throwing knives, and throwing axes.

Lifetime 11-18-2001 10:07 AM

I havent assembled the Wave Halberd in all my previous games. Hrm. I shall create a ranger to use them next game :D :D
They look DEAD COOL when you're wielding them.

Dundee Slaytern 11-18-2001 10:10 AM

Treasure them throwing axes, especially the magical ones, my solo Cavalier would never have completed ToB without them.

Quarterstaffs are extremely powerful and you can buy a +4 enchanted one in the Adventurer's Mart. I love using them( and wait till you get ToB, there is a really, really powerful quarterstaff in it).

I had a Fighter/Thief before who grandmastered in Daggers and dual-wield them. ;) He was fun to play with. *Pokey!* *Pokey!* ;)

Scimitars on the other hand, I have never really enjoyed using them, they look kinda weird IMHO.

Do not underestimate darts, especially the poisonous ones. ;) They can be very, very potent when used extensively.

Lifetime 11-18-2001 10:41 AM

That did it! I'm going to be a Bard with anything throwable next game!
Wheee!

And Slaytern, spoil me, what staff do you get?

Dreamer128 11-18-2001 10:46 AM

I actually think Scimitars are pretty cool. But thats just my humble opinion.

Magness 11-18-2001 04:59 PM

I played an archer all the way thru SoA and ToB. And I used quarterstaves, halberds, or spears as his secondary melee weapon. It works out great that way since an archer can never have more than 1 * in any non-missile weapon. Also, it leaves the great "standard" weapons for the other characters.

Fuzzy Animal 11-18-2001 05:17 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Well, in my opinion, no one seems to use the halberds, but i love em. Daggers are great for my mages, and the only thing i reject is darts and throwing knives, and throwing axes.<hr></blockquote>I love halberds!! I had a bard once that used a halberd exclusively. I like taking advantage of the fact that bards can use any weapon (almost).

andrewas 11-18-2001 06:04 PM

SPOILER
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
you asked what stzaff do u get. well, after upgrading (you need a helmet from ToB IIRC) its a Rod of the Ram +6 (can you say - awesome?) jaherias currently throwing people across the room with this thing. its great. it acts as a staff of striking with infinite charges (drool - but remember that if you sell an item with charges left then when you buy it back it'll be recharged). i think it does d6 + 12 damage. thats b4 prof and STR bonuses of course. pity i cant dual wield it with crom faeyr. but its a staff so i cant.

the only downside is that the icon looks a bit naff.

Melusine 11-18-2001 06:16 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Well, in my opinion, no one seems to use the halberds, but i love em. Daggers are great for my mages, and the only thing i reject is darts and throwing knives, and throwing axes.<hr></blockquote>

I like halberds a lot myself. Gave Minsc two proficiencies in them and the Wave blade is awesome, esp. in TOB.
Darts are apparently very useful for fizzling enemy magic-users' spells, but I never really used them that much.