Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Forgotten Realms (possible Spoiler) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17515)

rodimus 07-18-2001 07:52 AM

Now that I'm through the game, I want to know more about the contents of Baldurs Gate (I, SoA, ToB). Are there any books or websites where I can find something about:

1. the gods of Forgotten Realms (especially Bhaal, Cyric, the Seldarine, etc.)
2. Persons or Monster you met during the game (i.e. Kangaxx (very important, cause I read this on a BG2 site: If you played a Forgotten Realms game, you might have met the Demi-God Kangaxx), Elminster, Gorion, etc)
3. Things I read in books during the game (History of Waterdeep, etc)

Thx everybody...

Graccus 07-18-2001 08:29 AM

Well, the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting book from TSR is probably the best place to look. It costs $40.00 though...

Gustave 07-18-2001 11:12 PM

hehehe...I've played many clerics of Cyric

This is all Cyric info

During the time of troubles, all the gods (except Helm) were forced to walk Faerun(or whatever the FR realm is called)as mortal avatars. Cyric(a mortal) killed Bhaal and assumed his portfolio of his domains of power. Half of the listed portfolio came from Bhaal, the rest I believe came when Cyric killed another avatar.

Cyric
Portfolio: Murder, strife, lies, intrigue, deception, illusion, madness, the insane.

Alignment CE
Worshippers LN, N, CN, LE, NE, CE
Symbol A white skull on a dark purple or black sunburst
Dogma: Control by any means necessary Use force and deception to spread the word of Cyric, Bow down before the supreme power of Cyric, and kill those that do not. Fear and obey those in authority; but if they are weak, or vaguely good, kill them. Battle against all clergy of other faiths, for they are false, and follow not the One True Way. Kill those who attempt to bring peace, order and laws. All rightful authority comes from Cyric, all other authority must be subverted. Do not rebel openly, for all faiths and gods will awaken. Fell one foe at a time, and keep all folk afraid, uneasy, and in constant strife under the tyranny of Cyric. Random violence is better than violence that serves some greater, more dangerous purpose. Any means, method, sacrifice, or treachery is allowed if it brings about the desired end.
Allies None
Foes: Mystra, Kelemvor, Oghma, Azuth, Mask, Tyr, Torm, Deneir, Leira, Iyachtu Xvim, and many others...
Affiliated Orders The Company of the Ebon Spur: An order of crusaders charged with fighting against rival churches for the glory of Cyric
Vestments Priests: Black or dark purple robes, trimmed with silver. Silver bracers of bracelets are worn to symbolize enslavement to Cyric.
Adventuring: Disguises and illusions that alter appearance are favored, either to impress, awe, or terrify. To terrify, black armor with ornamentation that looks menacing is preferred. Usually with spiked shoulder and elbow pieces, and helms in the shape of snarling monsters.
Avatar Cyric often shows himself as a slim man with blazing dark eyes and sickly chalk-white skin. He is petty, megalomaniacal, and totally self-centered. He enjoys tricking and misleading both well-meaning and corrupt people; ruining lives, disillusioning dreamers, and breaking the hearts of lovers. He hates the other Gods. He believes himself to be Master of All, and often underestimates opponents because he cannot comprehend that they will not instantly fall before him.
About the Church Priests are called Strifeleaders or "The Sworn". They are expected to carry out any orders, regardless of how dangerous or odd they may seem. They are pledged to spread strife and work murder everywhere, to make folk fear and believe in Cyric. They support rulers with a taste for cruelty and empire-building, but indulge in intrigue so as to spread strife everywhere without war.

[This message has been edited by Gustave (edited 07-18-2001).]

Memnoch 07-18-2001 11:51 PM

Try www.wizards.com and check their downloads and supplements link. There's an entire RTF file there on Faerunian deities.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/memnoch/memnochsig.gif

Pennance 07-19-2001 12:03 AM

During the Time of Troubles Cyric, along with Midnight (who became the new Mystra) and Kelemvor (who eventually assumed God of the Dead from Cyric), adventured and tried to locate the Tablets of Fates. The Tablets were stolen by a coalition of Bane, Mask, Myrkul, and Bhaal who sought to kill the other gods. Ao, an entity more powerful than the gods, banished all gods to mortal avatars to locate the Tablets.

Cyric found a sword called Godslayer that was a Life-Stealing sword. Using it he managed to kill several of the Avatars, and by finding the Tablets he took over ALL of those evil Portfolios, escept for Mask's. And imprisoned Kelemvor's soul, who was Midnight's lover.

With time Mystra (Midnight) helped Kelemvor escape and face the God Cyric. At the end of the battle Kelemvor won and assumed the Portfolio of Death. This is thanks only to a madness that had befallen Cyric. Cyric was banished to the plane of Pandemoniom.

By current Realms-Time (which is several years after the BG saga) Bane himself has returned and taken back his Portfolio of Strife and Tyranny from Cyric. Bane's situation was similar to Bhaal's in that he had a spawn that served as the catalyst for his ressurection. The difference between Bhaal and Bane is that Bane's plan worked.

Currently Cyric is the God of Lies, Deceit, Illusions (Taken from another God he killed), and Murder.

A god's power is defined by his Portfolio, and losing Murder would make him a weak god. That is why he doesn't want the PC to take it from him.

You know what...I am pathetic for knowing all this. http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/no...iles/frown.gif

Pennance 07-19-2001 12:09 AM

During the Time of Troubles Cyric, along with Midnight (who became the new Mystra) and Kelemvor (who eventually assumed God of the Dead from Cyric), adventured and tried to locate the Tablets of Fates. The Tablets were stolen by a coalition of Bane, Mask, Myrkul, and Bhaal who sought to kill the other gods. Ao, an entity more powerful than the gods, banished all gods to mortal avatars to locate the Tablets.

Cyric found a sword called Godslayer that was a Life-Stealing sword. Using it he managed to kill several of the Avatars, and by finding the Tablets he took over ALL of those evil Portfolios, escept for Mask's. And imprisoned Kelemvor's soul, who was Midnight's lover.

With time Mystra (Midnight) helped Kelemvor escape and face the God Cyric. At the end of the battle Kelemvor won and assumed the Portfolio of Death. This is thanks only to a madness that had befallen Cyric. Cyric was banished to the plane of Pandemoniom.

By current Realms-Time (which is several years after the BG saga) Bane himself has returned and taken back his Portfolio of Strife and Tyranny from Cyric. Bane's situation was similar to Bhaal's in that he had a spawn that served as the catalyst for his ressurection. The difference between Bhaal and Bane is that Bane's plan worked.

Currently Cyric is the God of Lies, Deceit, Illusions (Taken from another God he killed), and Murder.

A god's power is defined by his Portfolio, and losing Murder would make him a weak god. That is why he doesn't want the PC to take it from him.

You know what...I am pathetic for knowing all this. http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/no...iles/frown.gif

hazard 07-19-2001 12:19 AM

Kangaxx? Heh the demi-lich was introduced in the first edition module S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth as a 'new monster'.

It could 'howl', etc. The most interesting thing is the list of the only ways to harm it:

A forget or exorcism spell will force the skull to sink to the floor without
howling or draining life force.
Each shatter spell inflicts 10hp of damage.
A power word, kill spoken by an astral or ethereal magic-user will destroy
the skull.
A fighter with a vorpal blade; a ranger with a shord of sharpness, sword +5
or vorpal blade; or a paladin with a sword of sharpness, sword +4 can inflict
damage on the skull.
A dispel evil spell can inflict 5hp of damage.
A holy word spell pronounced against it will inflict 20hp of damage.

That was the origional demi-lich. My how the times ( and AD&D ) has changed!
Just put this here for some nostalgia.

Entreri 07-19-2001 07:55 PM

Just Read all the books from the authors in the forgotten realms. The 15 books on Drizzt and friends, and ennemis, The Trilogie of the story of Midnight and Cyric ascenssion to Godhood, and all the others that include the harpers, The red wiz of Thay (or Thai not sure) .. And the Quintet of Caderly the cleric Who we find in the story of Drizzt as well. You will also know readind Drizzt's stories about the House of Viconia who was destroyd, and erased by House Do'Urden. Jarlaxle too has his little books. Its like a drug, when you begin, you cannot stop !

------------------

Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri

hazard 07-19-2001 10:04 PM

These books are all by R.A. Salvatore. They would be a good start for novels about the Forgotten Realms and its heroes. You could also buy the new Wizards of the Coast sourcebook about the Forgotten Realms. It contains information about every little piece of the geography, and alot about its heroe's and gods. The only downside is its 40 dollar price tag.

Icewind Dale Trilogy:

The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

The Dark Elf Trilogy:

Homeland
Sojourn
Exile

Memnoch 07-20-2001 06:32 AM

If you really want to learn about the Faerunian pantheon you should read the Avatar Trilogy and the two post-Avatar books, Prince of Lies and Crucible.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/memnoch/memnochsig.gif