Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ironworks Online Roleplaying (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   LOF: Awakenings (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61914)

Cyril Darkcloud 02-05-2007 01:17 AM

<font color=teal>The night is far spent and the first tentative stirrings of approaching dawn have begun. Small and quiet movements are these, awkward with slumber and not yet fully awake. In a small room located in the servants’ wing of Locke Manor a pair of delicate hands reaches upward to press the sleep from eyes that greet the early hour with great reluctance. She sighs. Would that the night were but an hour or two longer – just a little more rest..... But there is work to be done and the visitor had asked for her by name. She smiles. Such a polite man and so pleasant in conversation. His strange illness and the terrible wasting slumber that nearly took his life was a hardship for all of them. She shudders at the brief recollection of how small, how very frail he seemed just two days ago – so very near dying he was. The elder Locke, Master Edward himself, passed long hours by his bedside and he it was who had told her that the visitor had asked for her. Once more Jeannette lifts her hands to her heavy eyelids, rubbing them gently. She sighs contentedly and then she rises for there is much work to be done.

There are other stirrings in the lingering darkness besides those of a single maid, however, purposeful stirrings.

A large body stirs to wakefulness upon a damp pile of skins at the discontented growling in its stomach. Fingers crusted with dirt and blood reach between the jagged rocks near the wall of the cave until they find the handle of a crudely made club. Sleep gives way to hunger, an insistent and demanding hunger, and coarse tongues moisten the lips of mouths newly accustomed to the ready feasting to be found in the forest.

Far from this land of simple homes and dense forest there stands a tower darker even than the night which hangs so persistently over the approaching light of day. And within that tower are those whose stirring is the movement of darkness itself. Locked away with the tower are those for whom the heaviness of sleep would be a great relief, and to whom such relief is denied. For there is One within the tower whose substance is the substance of shadow and this One knows not the need for sleep and the darkness itself awakens to new vigor at the malice within his voice. All lands are the object of this One’s desire, and the lives of all who dwell within them as well. For the One Who Mods will not rest until all are bent and broken under his will.

Black and foul smelling smoke pollutes the skies to the north. Great furnaces housed in a compound that was once a haven for self-styled champions of the good burn night and day for within the blackened walls of that compound is found a rival to the One Who Mods, one once a man but now simply and terribly Fallen. And the Fallen would contest the darkness of the Mage with the hatred that burns within him. Deep beneath the earth, in places long untouched by the warming light of the sun, things stir into movement beneath the strength of this hatred.

Elsewhere far from these lands is one who sits silent and still. The free and living air moves restlessly between the craggy spires of stone that jut upward into the sky and the falling of rain against the sharp stones rings brightly against the darkness. But the one who sits and watches neither moves nor speaks.</font>

<font color=white size=+3>The Lord of the Forums: Awakenings</font>

Larry_OHF 02-05-2007 01:42 PM

<font color=white>For Team TAVY (Tao, Ana, Vincent, Yevaud)</font>

The warmth of the day finally broke through the shade the trees provided the ground, bathing the campground in rays of sunlight which is what finally aroused everyone from their rest. It was nearly midday, and they had slept the morning through! It should not have been such a surprise, for these adventurers had worked hard to get to this point and their physical ability to stay in the game finally wore out, causing everyone to sleep soundly until now.

However, the call of Morning finally stirred them awake and with a full night’s rest and knowing how close they were, the party moved on and within three hours they were out of the shady woods and staring at a farming town which sat a ways off from the coastline where there was a small port, too small for any real business to come through.

From what they had been told, this was called Lockesville.

************************************************** *****************************

<font color=white>
For The Lockesville Originals (Sever, Pandaros, Xaver)</font>

Time indeed was precious, but the necessity of having agents to work against a great evil in the land also required the men be well-equipped to face this danger, if any chance of success could be hoped for. For this reason, the Lockes personally paid for the equipment repair and purchases that these fine men named as their necessities.

The one hold up had been the dwarf’s armor. It had been so beaten up that it would require several hours of hard work to mend it well enough to suit Xaver. For this reason, the dwarf offered the suggestion that he borrow a suitable piece of armor until which time the mission were complete, and then he’d return to find his regular armor fully repaired. To this, everyone agreed that it was the best option and so Vindson offered the finest available armor that he had that would readily fit the sturdy dwarf. He knew that the Lockes would insure payment of that armor if the dwarf did not return it, or if it came back in less than favorable condition. The Lockes could always be trusted in such.

The time had come. Every member of the party had been well-equipped and made ready to venture out to investigate the disturbances. The only problem at this time was that Sever had run off to find a place to relieve himself and had not yet returned. Had he changed his mind and skipped out on everybody once he got a load of free gear? Pandaros of course felt like they should wait a bit more, but Xaver was feeling no loss at all, and considered this good news that the thief had bailed. He tried talking Pandaros into just leaving without the scum. They’d be better off.

Thus the two adventurers stood at the Main Gate, ready to embark on their first adventure in the employ of Lockesville.

[ 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Cyril Darkcloud 02-06-2007 02:08 AM

<font color=white>The Forest</font>

<font color=thistle>Her name is Mara and she is troubled. It has been over a week since she has heard from her cousin, the woodcutter. Perhaps he has grown ill, she fears. Or perhaps he has been injured in some way. “Silly girl,” she chides herself softly as she shakes her head, “it is likely that he is fine. What good is all this worry?” She attempts to laugh away her concern, to no avail. Something is not right, of this she is sure. She is well along the narrow path that leads to his cabin when she pauses. Normally the dogs would be barking by now. She stiffens. Her arms hang limply at her sides, but her fists clench with such nervous force that her knuckles whiten. Composing herself, she steps forward with a quiet caution, her unease mounting with every step. Her heart quickens as she nears the small clearing only to crash swiftly into a dull and reluctant throbbing as the jumble of splintered boards that were once the walls of her cousin’s home fills her gaze. Her eyes widen and fill with tears. And then she sees him – or better what little remains of him.

And she screams.</font>

[ 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]

Kazilan 02-06-2007 01:11 PM

<font color=66CC00>
Pandaros

Pandaros fingered the new arrowheads in his belt pouch. It was a new day for him. A job, plenty of supplies, and a cleric in case things went south. He couldn't ask for more. Except, of course, to know where his new friend had gone. Pandaros knew how long it could take to empty oneself of the drinking done the night before, but this was bordering on the ludicrous. Either Sever was setting a new world record or he had disappeared. So much for heroes.

"It appears that you are right, my companion. Sever is gone. I suggest that we head into the wilds and start our search. I can't remember if the Lockes gave us a location for the most recent disturbance, it seems like our conversation with them happened eons ago," - I really need to cut back on the drinking, he added to himself - "but once we determine a destination I'm ready to head out. If we should see signs of trouble I can scout ahead. Better to gather information before jumping to the fray, I always say."

Pandaros rested a hand on the hilt of his sword while waiting for the dwarf's response.

</font>
OOC - Feels good to be back with this character - Added color, thanks for the pm Larry

[ 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Kazilan ]

TAOWolf 02-06-2007 08:03 PM

<font color=skyblue>Kaylisa TAOWolf

Pushing the hood of her cloak back, she runs her gloved hands through her long hair and quickly plaits it, tying it off with a strip of leather. Her eyes narrow and she rests her left hand upon her staff as she stares down at the town. Seems a quiet town... she thinks to herself as she shifts her gaze to look at the woods surrounding part of the town.. ...but something is not quite right here..

She looks at her companions and waits silently, returning her gaze to the town and her hand tightens on the staff...
</font>

OOC - :D yay!! I have missed this..

[ 02-06-2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]

Larry_OHF 02-06-2007 11:47 PM

<font color=peru>Anarrima

Ana studied Tao for a moment. She had become close to her during this trek through the woods to Lockesville, caring for the wounded lady and learning how to better understand her. Tao was a very concealed persona, hiding much under her many layers, and deep down there where even Ana had not been able to reach yet there was something gnawing at Tao's soul. There was a personal, mental struggle that the lady was suffering and she wanted to be left alone to deal with it, and so Ana had been unsuccessful in her attempts to help. As a cleric, she felt that she was letting her patient down because of this, and so was overcompensating in other ways by treating Tao as a precious friend that she could not part from.

However, she could easily read the feeling of concern, maybe even trouble coming from Tao now.

She spoke to nobody in particular.

"This is a human settlement, and from the looks of it they are more primitive in their ways than that of other towns we have thus visited. It may be that we are not well-received, being that none of us are actually human..."

At this, she looked at Vincent whose wild-elf mother shown clearly in his features.

"Let us be on our best behavior, and be quick to pass through, hopefully without causing too much of a stir..."

At this, Yevaud was paid a well-earned glare.

"We are low on money for equipment repair and replacements, so I suggest we try to find some employment so we can be on our way. We'll also need to seek further healing for Lady Tao, and for her costs I will take that unto myself.

Let's go."

With that, Anarrima began to lead the way to the large gate that was opening even as they were nearing it. </font>

TAOWolf 02-07-2007 12:29 AM

<font color=skyblue>She looks down at Ana, and smiles softly at this young one's intuition and good karma. Catching her eye by laying a gloved hand on her shoulder, her eyes briefly turn to wolf then back, asking the unspoken question, would it be safer if I were to be in wolf form? knowing that her eyes above all else will cause concern in a primitive society, not to mention that she does not cast a shadow...

Reaching into a pouch, she retrieves four stones: an emerald, sapphire, ruby and a curious looking stone resembling the light that shines through the trees at night from a full moon. These she hands silently to Ana.

Her gaze returns to the town, and she frowns slightly as the wound to her soul twitches in her brain. She sighs softly and moves a little back from where the others are standing. Putting her staff in the only place it will be completely safe (Ana's hand) she touches the bracer around her neck.

The wind shifts, blowing leaves up around the companions in a whirlwind of colors. As the leaves settle back to the ground, a wolf, silver and black stands next to Ana, and bumps her free hand with her head....
</font>

[ 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]

Larry_OHF 02-07-2007 12:46 AM

Tao had been right. This party was strange enough with two full-blood elves and one half-elf. But Tao's persona would stand out even moreso than the three. It was wise to do what she did, though Ana of course was concerned with the strength it would take to shift back and forth.

She rubbed Tao's head and spoke to her.

"It may be a shock to see a cleric who has a wolf companion, but not nearly as shocking as seeing a human form with eyes of a wolf. Good thinking, lady.

Come on you two!"
She called to Yevaud and Vincent. The three with their wolf companion were heading to the door that had opened and two forms were emerging from therein. Did Ana see a dwarf? Maybe this town was not as isolated as she had feared. </font>

Cyril Darkcloud 02-09-2007 12:52 AM

<font color=white>Edward Locke</font>

<font color=cornflowerblue>“I do not know, Simon,” he says with the characteristic measured pace of his words, “for the first time in quite some years, I simply do not know how to proceed.” The silence that holds between the brothers is awkward. Edward seldom expresses confusion before anyone, even his brother, let alone the strange uncertainty that now marks both his words and his bearing. “This Joseph,” he continues, “there is the ring of truth about his words. And more....” Again he falls silent as he puts his thoughts in order. “..... there is that about him which makes him believable. And yet, it is he who insists that he is not to be simply believed.” He stops. Despite the uncertainty he has expressed there is a firm clarity in his gaze as he fixes his eyes upon those of his brother. “And in that regard I believe he is absolutely correct.” Another pause, punctuated by a series of deep breaths. “And this is what puzzles me, for this is a man that should he wish to deceive us would seem to be able to do so with no small ease, and yet it is he who is the first to indicate this and to encourage a certain skepticism within us regarding his words and actions. He is..... talented, Simon, remarkably talented, but with a talent unlike any I have ever witnessed.” He grows very quiet and his eyes stare vacantly at his feet. “And I wonder, to my shame, what danger I may have invited in seeing that his life be preserved.”

Noting his brother’s reaction, he raises his hand. “No, Simon, please do not be shocked or dismayed with me. I do not regret for one moment the choice to do what the laws of goodness and hospitality demand. But I cannot refrain, in this instance at least, from wondering what price obedience to these laws will exact from us...... from all of us.” He pauses only briefly to note that he is understood by his younger brother before continuing. “He has told me much, more than the few minutes of our time together would seem to allow as possible. Visit him, Simon, and speak with him. We must decide together what to make of this man who seemed so frail just yesterday and yet shows so little fragility today.”</font>

dplax 02-09-2007 09:42 AM

<font color=green>Vindson

*CLANG*
*CLANG*

The sound of Vindson's hammer ringing against metal was a sound the dweller's of the town were used to more often early in the morning. This day brought the familiar noise after midday, the usual afternoon nap time of the ageing smith.

Heavily sweating in his workshop, Vindson hunched over Xaver's armour. The damage to it was worse than what he had thought after first seeing it. A particularly deep and ugly tear in the material would require several hours of work on its own, possibly even adding some new metal. Work had to be done, had to be finished on time. And Vinson was a man of his word. So he hammered on.

*CLANG*</font>

Morgeruat 02-09-2007 03:59 PM

<font color=seagreen>Yevaud

Yevaud nodded suitably chastised for his prior actions. Whatever had taken hold of his mind had passed. His physical wounds were on the mend, though there would always be battle scars, the mental ones and the people he'd had to leave behind or watched die. An elf with a wolf would likely not raise too many questions, as most of the people in this burg would see race first and then only later wonder about profession. Yevaud nodded silently, brooding and surveying for any signs of danger, from within and outside the town, the last thing he wanted was to be run out of town by a mob of yokels, or worse. His blade hung easily on his side, a simple coil of string tied across it to prevent it being drawn easily, a custom he'd heard many human communities advocated to prevent needless bloodshed, a curiosity that humans felt it necessary, but he had prepared it just in case. A number of spells were in mind in case the situation warranted it, far more dangerous he thought than a sharpened steel edge.</font>

Larry_OHF 02-11-2007 11:13 PM

<font color=white>Simon Locke</font>

<font color=indianred>Simon was indeed shaken by his older brother's unease at the strangeness of their sick guest. This was the man that had arrived unconscious to their home only so recently, along with another...a younger man who had since disappeared and left this fellow to his fate here in Locke Manor. As Edward had mentioned, it was not their place to draw quick judgement on a guest who was in need of immediate care. Judgements come only after learning facts and taking consideration of what has been learned. Edward had tried to do just that, sensing that the time had come to begin an investigation as to who this gentleman was, how he had arrived inside the manor, and what his intentions were now that he was here. Edward had left that meeting seemingly shaken with curiosity, or concern. Now, it was Simon's turn to make sense of this matter. He neared the door and rapped on the wood, calling the guest from within.

"Excuse me sir, may I pass?" he called from outside the door, waiting for an answer from within.

Before the door had even opened, Simon knew, thanks to his brother, that this would be a very interesting discussion. </font>

[ 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Kazilan 02-12-2007 01:55 PM

<font color=66CC00>

Pandaros

Pandaros strode out from the gate, confidence in his step and determination in his gaze. Both melted away at the sight of the newcomers. He halted and turned to Xaver.

"You don't suppose this group has been causing all the trouble and is now descending on the town to unleash hell?" Pandaros squinted to see the group in better detail. "They don't look too aggressive, except that there is a wolf with them. I suggest we make ready our weapons but hold the attack until they've had a chance to explain themselves."

Pandaros drew his bow and set an arrow to it without drawing the string back. His memory flashed back to the pitiful state of the town guard. If this was an attack, Lockesville was in trouble. The scout began considering escape routes as he took a few paces back from the dwarf. "You guard the front, I'll, uh, watch the rear."

</font>

Larry_OHF 02-13-2007 11:50 PM

"Wait!" Ana stopped suddenly and thrust her arm out to stop the others from moving past. Just behind the dwarf, Anarrima's keen elven eyes saw a human male come from the gate as well and when he saw Ana and her team from the distance, he had prepared an arrow and taken a defensive step back while the dwarf seemed to still be studying them and had not yet made up his mind what he perceived. All the same, a spooked human was never any good.

Ana did not know what human signals were supposed to be used in a situation like this to represent themselves as friendly. She quickly whispered back to Vincent.

"They are suspicious of us! What are we supposed to do"?</font>

[ 02-13-2007, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

TAOWolf 02-14-2007 01:03 AM

She quietly sits next to Anarrima, and perks her ears forward at the dwarf and human. Nudging Ana's hand, she makes a gesture with her paw, hoping she gets the idea to raise her hand palm forward in greeting. She also puts a paw close to her staff,..... just in case..

Narrowing her eyes, she watches the two closely, looking for the slightest hostile movement. She would prefer not to use any magic whatsoever, and no druid spells. She is not healed completely, and knows she will not be, until she can do something about her missing human shadow, and the blackness of shadow that is slowly surrounding her soul...
</font>

Larry_OHF 02-14-2007 01:01 PM

Ana was surprisingly attuned to Tao's unspoken signals (must be a girl thing...) and only briefly hesitated because what she was about to do seemed to her like it would appear that she were about to cast a mage spell with her hand, but trusting Tao's opinion was a good thing to consider since she knew that Tao probably understood them as much as Vincent did...and so deciding to not wait on Vincent to reply, she raised her hand in a open-palm forward gesture. </font>

OOC>>>Vincent, you can take initiative to make the party safe in your own manner if you feel that Ana is not doing something correct.

ZFR 02-16-2007 09:13 AM

<font color=silver>Xaver

Xaver has been thinking about his new companions. Sever's disappearance confirmed his worst suspicions. That person was a simple crook. Xaver had met many of his type before. The loudest ones when it came to making promises were the first to run away when the work had to be done. He was sure Sever would reappear again when the time to collect the reward came.
"Good riddance" he thought. "I did prefer it to have him close to be able to keep an eye on him, but this is just as well."

His thoughts were interrupted by Pandaros's remark and he looked at the group he was pointing to. One of them at least seemed to be an elf, but what caught the dwarf's eye first was the wolf by their side.
The three of them seemed to notice them and slowly the wolf and his companion raised their hands. The gesture seemed a peaceful one but Xaver has travelled around enough to know that seemingly peaceful gestures could mean the exact opposite. What he saw now could be a greeting but could just as well mean "halt and go no further." He did not want to take chances.

"Alright, listen" he turned to Pandaros. "I don't know what those three are up to. They could be simple travellers, merchants or gods know what, but under these circumstances it would be wise to assume the worst. Could you fire an arrow and have it land some 10 feet before them? Just make sure you don't hurt them now. I'll go up and speak with them. They don't seem humans but hopefully they speak common. Now, the moment you see any of them making any threatening move, don't be afraid to shoot. Aim for the lady next to the wolf first, I'll go for the other two."

He took out his axe and proceeding slowly up the hill shouted out. "Listen the three of you. I don't usually greet strangers in this manner, but I'm sent by the rulers of this town and we are to look for whatever has been haunting the forest. Now, I would ask you to take out any weapons you might possess and place them on the ground. It is not my intention to hurt you, I just wish to talk. My companion behind me is armed and will respond accordingly should you make any threat. So put down your weapons, come forward and identify yourself. I just want to speak for a moment, and if you turn out all right, you can be on your way."</font>

Cyril Darkcloud 02-16-2007 01:39 PM

<font color=white>Locke Manor – The Guest Wing

Joseph
</font>

<font color=darkseagreen>He smiles as his visitor enters the room. “You must be Simon,” he remarks. “Your brother had mentioned that he would be asking you come and have a word with me.” Despite his weakness, a weakness which is only slightly evident in his bearing, there is an easy gracefulness about his movements as he sets aside the book he had been reading and indicates a chair next to his own. Unlike the Lockes, he is no stranger to such awkward and difficult moments as these and so it is he, the stranger, who assumes the responsibility of making the owner of the house comfortable. “Please allow me,” his tone is marked by the same easy grace as his gestures, “to extend to you the same word of thanks that I gave to your brother earlier this morning. That I would likely be dead if not for your hospitality is not lost on me.” He pauses and after the pause he smiles – a warm and engaging smile. “Which, of course, begs the question of just how I came to arrive within the walls of this house and for what purpose.” Once more he pauses. “Perhaps your brother has already apprised you of our conversation of this morning. Then again, perhaps he has not. Edward is a cautious man. And rather on the private side. And, therefore, perhaps, likely to prefer you to form your own impressions of me before disclosing too much of his own.” He notes the surprise on Simon’s face. “Please do not let my words trouble you. People are not so difficult to read should one know what signs to seek out and I am one who has spent his life learning how to perceive and read such signs.” Again he pauses. “But I am sure,” he says simply, “that you have questions of your own to put to me. Where then shall we begin?”</font>

TAOWolf 02-16-2007 05:49 PM

She can't help herself.. She has always loved dwarves, and she senses that this one is good for his word. She can sense that deep down he is true to his self. Her pricked-forward ears catch the soft conversation between the dwarf and the human with the bow.

She thinks to herself, "Ah.. haunting? That is the sense I am picking up in the forest.." Looking at her companions, she lays down next to Ana, putting her head between her paws. She will let them reply to the dwarf.

She woofs softly once in the direction of the dwarf, and her tail wags once, slowly. She then raises her head, and looks at Vincent, then shifts her eyes back to the dwarf and waits....
</font>

[ 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]

Larry_OHF 02-16-2007 06:15 PM

<font color=indianred>
Simon took the offered seat as he heard this man's introduction that seemed well articulated and maybe hinging a bit on showing off.

"Indeed, my brother has mentioned that I should not take you at face value and to expect something of a unique experience during our conversation. He has told me that I should call you Joseph. While he makes most of the executive decisions in our town, I find myself comfortably serving as judge of civil disputes and crimal cases, for what it is worth to you.

But enough about us. I am expecting to find that you and your missing friend that arrived with you mean us no real harm and that fact is substantiated by the manner of your arrival. You came to us incapacitated, and your friend was not much better off. He has since fled, leaving you here to explain the whole thing. I am pretty sure that I can safely assume that you have come to our home in the manner of magical means that we do not understand, for magic is not practiced here like in the big cities. For the purpose of coming here I assume that you have fled from some horror, or maybe you are escapees from a jail somewhere...but what I am most interested in knowing is whether the villany or justice that you escaped from might still be trying to find you. In other words, Joseph, is your stay here a danger to my town?
"

It was Simon's wish to discover if preparations needed to be made to protect the citizens from some impending danger that would at any time be knocking down the walls of the town in search of its prey, or if these were fugitives, and if so were they in need of protecting due to a false accusation or were they indeed criminals that needed to be taken into custody.

Simon kept into consideration that the younger fellow that had fled might still turn up somewhere nearby and did not want to count him out as gone just yet. </font>

[ 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Larry_OHF 02-16-2007 06:33 PM

She would have been completely worried about this seemingly pre-hostile encounter if not for the fact that Tao had signaled her approval of the dwarf. Knowing that the Lady possessed abilities to find good or evil in a being, she felt much relief when Tao acknowledged that these two mercenaries for this town seemed to check out.

She looked back to Vincent and Yevaud and nodded for them to drop their weapons and then she stepped forth away from her companions and called out,

"My name is Anarrima Culurien, Golden Elf of Evermeet, Priestess of Ahurani Fairhand and behind me are my two companions of travel, Yevaud my protector and Vincent, a friend who has aided us in a recent quest for a good cause.

We come to your fair town in search of rest and to restock our supplies. During our travel through these woods, we encountered nothing out of the ordinary nor were faced with danger of any kind.

May we seek refuge here, good dwarf?"
</font>

[ 02-16-2007, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Kazilan 02-17-2007 01:56 AM

<font color=66CC00>

Pandaros

The scout nodded at Xaver's words and drew back his bowstring. A warning shot seemed like a big risk, given that the newcomers had the two of them outnumbered. And then there was the wolf. Pandaros had spent lots of time in the wilderness and met his share of wild creatures. Wolves were predators, and it was encounters with predators that made him most uncomfortable.

Still, if Xaver was willing to take the initiative and approach these travelers, the least Pandaros could do was support him.

Pandaros took sure aim at a spot well ahead of the group and let his arrow fly. He drew another missile and readied it, with the arrow aimed towards the ground.

</font>

Larry_OHF 02-17-2007 10:59 AM

Such were the ways of humans! Kill first and then think on it later!
No sooner had Anarrima made her plea for safe passage that the trigger-happy human decided to fire a warning shot and had reloaded! She backed away quickly to be in line with Yevaud. She had not had the rest she needed nor the time to pray in earnest to her Goddess and so this left her with no real spells of defence but for a Cure Minor Wounds and a Protection from Evil spell. She thought for a moment about actually calling for the Protection spell but realized it would be a waste as this human was not evil...he was merely foolish.

She whispered to Yevaud as she stood by him:

"Yevaud, Nin udos xun vel'bol?"

What she did not realize in her nervous fear of this stand-off was that she had actually asked Yevaud what they were now supposed to do in the language of the Drow.</font>

ZFR 02-18-2007 05:44 AM

<font color=silver>Xaver

Xaver turned back to Pandaros and signalled to him to follow him up, keeping his bow ready. He then turned towards the three elves who looked a bit frightened after the warning arrow was fired. He lowered his axe and spoke.

"Greetings Lady Anarrima. I'm Xaver Merlino Jr, a soldier and priest of Clangeddin, currently a mercenary in the service of the Locke brothers, rulers of this town. You'll have to excuse our manner..." he turned for a second to check if Pandaros had his bow ready to shoot, "but there have been some strange disturbances in the forest and we were hired by the Lockes to find out who or what are behind them. I think you'll understand that your sudden appearance couldn't but arouse our suspicions. I hope you don't mind answering some questions for me and my companion. It will take just a moment and if you are who you say you are, you will be free to go into town. If you have any information at all that might shed some light onto the source of the disturbances in the forest, it would be wise to tell us what you know. Since you just left the forest you might have noticed or heard something strange or out of place."

He paused for a second and again looked back at Pandoros. "Please don't think of fighting us. I know we are outnumbered, but this dwarf has had his share of battles and won't go down easily. And even if you do manage to take us down, you will have to face the whole of the town militia. I'm sure it's not something you'd wish to do."</font>

Larry_OHF 02-18-2007 06:10 PM

Anarrima sighed in her fatigue. They were so close to peace and rest and yet these two mercenaries were unyielding in their distrust of them. Must be a dwarf thing she thought. She scowled down at Tao as though to chastise her for an error in judgement.

Since none of the others were speaking, and that the dwarf had spoken directly to her, she answered,

"As I have said, we encountered nothing out of the ordinary nor were faced with danger of any kind, yet it could be that we were so tired that we did not see the signs that would have told us there indeed might be danger nearby. If you are sure that something is in there, allow us to first rest ourselves and then we might accompany you on your quest if it is your wish. However, in our current condition we are only slowing you down."</font>

[ 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

TAOWolf 02-18-2007 06:39 PM

She looks up at Ana when she scowls at her, and sticks her tongue out at the girl, wagging her tail.

Looking on as Ana speaks, she waits patiently then sits up, looking at the dwarf and woofs at him again as if to state Ana's point. The intelligent look in her eyes cannot be missed by the dwarf, and she looks directly to him.....
</font>

[ 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]

Cyril Darkcloud 02-19-2007 03:29 PM

<font color=white>Locke Manor – The Guest Wing

A visitor called Joseph
</font>

<font color=darkseagreen>He is pleased that this is no mere bumbling younger brother with whom he speaks. These Lockes, the two of them, are neither rash nor imprudent in their dealings. He would call neither of them a ‘man of reason’ according to the traditional definition of scholars, but both of them are reasonable men – even more, they are men who seek to be reasonable. One can respect such men. Indeed, one tends to know precisely where he stands with men such as these. Knowing where one stands, now that is a curious turn of phrase, and one strangely pertinent at present where it would seem that none but he, the outsider and alien, is truly aware of the landscape they now occupy. This is, of course, the classic failing of reasonable men – without one to reorient them at moments like these, the very reason they seek to follow leads them swiftly astray and leaves them groping for answers and solutions where there are none to be found. Foolish moral scruples aside, allowing that to happen to these men who have so generously seen to his needs would not simply be ungracious, it would be the very height of what it is to be rude. He has been many things to many people and has managed to give the pretense of being many other things, so many that it is no longer entirely clear even within himself where the seeming ends and the reality begins, but he has not been, nor does he plan on being, a guest that is rude – visits to the towers of certain bellicose and powerful users of what the locals of this IronWorks place call “shadow magic” excepted, of course.

“I am here,” he says simply, “because I was in need of a comfortable bed in a place where I might be free to rest and because I wagered the educated guess that within the walls of this house I might find a host who understood the meaning of hospitality ...... at least, that was the proximate cause of my unannounced and admittedly presumptuous arrival here.” He smiles and his grin elicits a similar response from his host as he continues. “On a more serious note, however, your brother has recounted to me the tale that my young companion had given him the night of our arrival and it is a tale, that, like many falsehoods, carries some truth in those places where it seems most fantastic.” His speech is by turns eloquent, humorous, reflective and engaging, and at every point convincing. The picture he paints for his hearer, while little more than a sketch of how he has arrived in this strange land of IronWorks and the events that followed, is vivid and compelling. His gestures flow in graceful company with his words and even the inflections of his voice fit neatly into the pattern of his words and gestures. Storytelling in many ways is the very essence of his art and he has long progressed beyond the point where magical aid is necessary for him to spin a tale that is at one and the same time vivid, convincing and captivating. He is in no hurry, pausing at the proper points to allow natural opportunities for the younger Locke to respond – more pauses than were required in speaking with his brother. A movement of gratitude stirs within him. To simply speak and weave a tale for one who listens with such ready attentiveness is a great relief from the exhaustion that still lingers about his limbs. No, he is in no hurry, for the art of the telling is often greater than the substance of the tale and a more stimulating thing – as is the case here.

It requires but little effort as he speaks to incorporate the gestures of a simple seeming into his movements. So naturally does he do this that the casting of the seeming is of a piece with his telling of the tale. It is a simple enchantment – the only kind he is truly capable of effecting in his present condition – and its very simplicity is what makes it so effective in a situation such as this where his natural gifts have already brought his dialogue partner to a point of companionable trust. His tale has been fantastic, but reasonably so in its understated details and it would be a simple matter to leave things here. But that would be unfair to his hosts. And truth be told, there is greater enjoyment, as well as greater art, to be had in opening the eyes of men such as this to the failings of their ready manner of perceiving the world about them. And so it is that while Simon speaks warmly to the one who sits beside him and who has spoken so long and so openly and so well, that he rises from his chair and moves to the other side of the room, allowing the seeming of himself to converse with his host a few minutes more before quietly stepping forward and saying, “But there is, of course, much more to all of this than which readily meets the eye. Or the ear for that matter.”

Even as he stands, leaning easily against the wall of the room – an ease which serves to conceal the exhaustion of a body which cannot yet stand for long without support – his semblance concludes its converse with Simon by standing, placing a hand upon his shoulder – the grip is very tangible and very firm – and stating, “But that is all I have to say for now.” With these words the seeming simply flows out of the range of sight and sound and touch and the Locke’s visitor walks across the room and once more sits in the chair.

“Now,” he speaks in a tone and a manner very different from his previous bearing and yet equally natural, “the first rule in my line of work is not to let on to anyone what I’m really able to do. But rules, like they say, are made for breaking and I like you guys. Now, that you know how careful you’ve gotta be if you’re gonna learn anything from me, let me see if I can answer your most important questions. Don’t worry about the kid. He’s good and gone. And if what I was helping the kid get away from is really on its way here to find me, there ain’t a damn thing you or anyone else here can do ...... except maybe pray.”</font>

[ 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]

Kazilan 02-20-2007 01:11 PM

<font color=66CC00>
Pandaros

Pandaros took a few steps forward at Xaver's signal. So far things seemed to be under control. Pandaros hoped the elves couldn't see through Xaver's bluff about the town militia - the scout couldn't remember what the guard's name was he had met previously, but Pandaros was fairly certain that man was all that remained of the militia. Maybe the drunk wizard could help? Pandaros shook his head at the thought. An alcohol addled wizard could only make the situation worse.

When the wolf started making noise Pandaros flinched and tightened his grip on the bow. The elven woman had suggested that her group move into town and rest for a day... Pandaros hoped the dwarf agreed to the suggestion. If this group was evil, then whatever dark plans they had would be enacted on the town while he and his partner were away, giving them a chance to escape. Not a brave thought, but one that would keep him alive.
</font>

Morgeruat 02-23-2007 11:00 AM

<font color=seagreen>yevaud

Yevaud glanced at Ana skeptically, then removed the buckle holding the non-magical sword in it's scabbard on his back, and slowly removed and dropped in front of him, then repeated the ritual, slowly and deliberately for his magical blade, and then again with his daggers. He whispered in a low voice in elven, "*You know as well as I that I'm almost as dangerous without weapons as I am with them, but if this show will appease them..."

He then took another slow deliberate step to the side, away from the weapons hands up to chest level with palms up showing them to be empty. cocking a single eyebrow as he does so.</font>

*translated from elven

Elif Godson 02-24-2007 06:10 PM

<font color=silver> Vincent Pathfinder

Looking at the two mercenaires and the shape of the town, Vincent wasnt worried about a town militia, but he did as Ana asked and slowly removed his swords, then with a slight snicker he started removing some of his dagger's. Moving slowly and in a non threatening way, he removed one from behind his neck, then one from each boot and one more from the small of his back and slowly knelt and layed them neatly on the ground next to his swords. Stepping sideways and away from the blades he lowered his hands to his sides, palms open and facing the two men. Relaxing the muscles in his wrists he readied the throwing daggers in case another arrow should fly in the direction or the dwarf decided to take an adverse action. "We are, as the lady metioned, tired and seeking lodging to recover and mend. We mean no harm and will do as you ask".</font color=silver>

Larry_OHF 02-24-2007 09:04 PM

As Ana had been speaking to the fussy dwarf, Yevaud and Vincent had been removing their weapons as were asked of them. They both stood a little behind Ana and Tao, and Ana looked back at Yevaud when he spoke to her in their language, but also caught a glimpse of Vincent who had left an entire arsenol at his feet, and she could not help but giggle at the sight.

She turned back to the mercenaries and awaited their word so as to peacefully be allowed to continue towards Lockesville.

What was wrong with the town, she pondered, wondering why they had felt the need to hire a couple nervous hirelings such as these to question every passerby that came too near. There indeed must be something of truth to the monstrosity in the forest. It interested her now, what exactly was out there to be found, but indeed she and her friends needed a long rest and supplies before trampling off into the forest to find trouble. </font>

[ 02-24-2007, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

ZFR 02-25-2007 06:22 AM

<font color=silver>Xaver

Xaver looked for a while at the three strangers and the pile of weapons on the ground thinking what to do. Anarrima sounded honest, and yet Xaver found it hard to believe that the three of them, who have obviously passed through the forest in order to arrive here, and have probable spent some time in it - days if not weeks - have not seen or heard anything out of the ordinary that might throw some light on their current mission.

However, whether they were telling the truth or not, Xaver knew that he had no right to stop them any longer. Xaver looked at them again. None of the three elves looked any evil. Even the wolf companion seemed friendly. Xaver decided to let them go.

"Allright. You may pick up your weapons and be on your way. Sorry for the inconvenience we have caused." He turned towards Anarrima. "As for your offer my lady, I'm afraid we cannot accept it. Our quest is urgent and we cannot afford to lose time. Farewell."

He turned to his companion and shouted. "Lower your bow and let them pass Pandaros. And you yourself come up here." With his hand he signalled to Pandaros to lower his bow but to keep it ready just in case. Experience has taught him that you can never be too careful with strangers.</font>

Larry_OHF 02-25-2007 05:35 PM

Ana was relieved to hear the dwarf feel comfortable with letting them go. She heard Yevaud and Vincent behind her picking up their gear.

"May we have an opportunity to meet you again, good dwarf. We'll be staying in the town for a few days so feel free to come and visit. Farewell and may the Golden Lady grant you excellent health on your mission."

Even as she says those words, she holds up a symbol of her faith that she had concealed beneath her robes and as she did so, both Xaver and Pandaros felt somewhat rejuvenated in mind and body. </font>

Elif Godson 02-26-2007 05:22 PM

<font color= silver> Vincent Pathfinder

"Well Met and fair hunting to ye then, I can understand the need to be cautious. </font color= silver>" Vincent said as he collected his belongings while keeping an eye on the bowman in the back. I need a bow he thought as he eyed the one the man held.

Kazilan 02-26-2007 05:54 PM

<font color=66CC00>
Pandaros

The scout held his bow at his side as he joined Xaver. He kept a wary eye on the wolf while the newcomers retrieved their weapons, but the sense of peace that had radiated from the elf had allayed his suspicions. He turned away from the newcomers to address Xaver.

"So how do you want to start our search? I could move ahead into the forest and search for tracks while you check out farms and homesteads. I have singing arrows to fire, which will alert you if I come under attack."

</font>

[ 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Kazilan ]

ZFR 02-27-2007 06:21 AM

<font color=silver>Xaver

Xaver gave the three travellers one last look and turned to his companion. "Sounds good to me. If no one finds anything we meet back here in, say, three hours?"

"That's assuming you don't run away like your friend..." he thought to himself.</font>

TAOWolf 02-28-2007 12:27 AM

This is one of those rare moments, that Tao wishes she had the energy to shift to human form quickly, stick her tongue out at the dwarf, and switch back so quick, he wouldn't be sure of what he saw. But her humor will have to wait until later. This is not the time to reveal her other nature..... yet...

She nudges Ana with her nose, and wags her tail at a job well done. She stands on all fours, and shakes madly, (getting leaves all over Vincent).

Getting a strange feeling, she looks over a shoulder back at the forest and stares hard at the forest for a few seconds. She can still sense something out there, but not real close, as of yet. She hopes the dwarf and the human do not run into whatever it is.

She pads silently over to Vincent. She bumps his leg with her head, then looks quickly towards the gate then up at him, hoping he gets the message she would like him to lead the group in...
</font>

[ 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]

Larry_OHF 02-28-2007 10:28 PM

It was a most refreshing feeling to have those two hired hands leave them in peace, because Ana was about at her wits end with fatigue. The rest along the way was not a rest at all, and she lamented at her distance from her Goddess...she had been so tired that she had not taken proper time to meditate and draw near her Divine Goddess. It was something to soon be remedied. The depression she was suffering at the loss of Marcos...not that he had perished...but in the way that he died alone had not settled with her yet. She had ran in fear for her own life. She...a cleric, somebody who typically works to serve others before herself.

She snapped out of it as Tao nestled her with that soft nose, and went on to tease Vincent with a messy shake. She giggled as Vincent brushed away the leaves from his trousers in mock frustration and then said,

"I agree with her. You definately should lead the way...being that this is a far-placed human settlement. Maybe seeing you as our leader will soften the blow if there be any bias." </font>

Larry_OHF 02-28-2007 11:02 PM

<font color=indianred>Simon had never before questioned his senses...his sight, touch, hearing...all of these were tools that he readily believed when they told him something. Those senses were now shown for the fools that they are, and Simon simply sat there, hearing the last of the words of this...this speaker of fascinating tales...but to his senses he was waging a war of chastisement and self-audit as to whether he had gone crazy or had been tricked by such splendid magic that he had never before seen. He had had a presumption as to what magic was only due to the town's unfavorable resident who had a niche for blowing things up...but this magic was one that pulled at one's internal workings...and gave cause to question one's sanity from the inside out.

Yet for all that had happened, the spinster of fine tales and finer illusions had been gracious enough to lead Simon back into the land of reality...if it were now to be believed. Indeed, was the very chair he was sitting in a chair, or was it a dog? He wanted to get up and actually confirm this theory, but embarrassment at how that would appear slowed his desire for such a comedic act.

He nodded and pondered silently from here onward until this Joseph was finished with his warning. He noted that Joseph did not know whether danger had followed or not. He could not take a chance and realized that he needed to find out.

"I thank you for the honesty you have granted my brother and I, and I can honestly say that we intend you no harm, for while I should question my own judgement at such a time as this, moreso than ever, I think you are actually here by way of a noble gesture and for that we honor you.

What has happened has happened and we can only hope for the best now, and if I am to do my duty I would like to begin making preparations for my small town to protect my people in the event that harm is headed this way.

Is there some assistance that your abilities could lend us if indeed we are to soon meet this enemy of your friend?"
</font>

Elif Godson 03-02-2007 11:21 AM

<font color=silver>Vincent Pathfinder

Giving a tired smile, he dusted himself off and headed towards the gate at Tao's suggestion. Looking at the two mercenaries as he passed them, he offered them a look of good luck as he over heard there conversation, stopped for a moment and then shook his head and then attempted to find the scent of cooking food, he was famished. </font color=silver>