Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Darkest Day..enjoying or just a hack and slash? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4777)

Zoltan 12-14-2001 11:43 AM

I'm downloading TDD still not completed. Yesterday, I was chatting with a friend I asked him about TDD. He told me that he's disapointed the game is just hack and slash if you install it you face zillions of trolls in nalias keep.. what's your opinions about TDD is it TOO unofficial or it's enjoying playable?

oaxaca_dan 12-14-2001 04:09 PM

well, i don't know - i downloaded it the other day, and am kinda digging it.. there are a lot more things to deal with, so there is a heavy element of hack and slash, (i often look at it like its just more xp - the creatures aren't that tough, just numerous, and with the cap super high, it helps level advancement)

Pros: but i think that the diversity of kits and new weapons kinda makes up for it... its kinda fun to explore these new kits, and it kinda nice to not know what to expect around every corner - the new quests seem (so i've gathered through reading the forums) to be cool too, though i haven't dealt with any of them yet..

cons: i haven't been playing long enough to experience any serious bugs - actually, haven't encountered any at all, but if you check out their forum, its quite active and they seem to be working hard to fix things if you have a prob - the only thing that really bothers me is the poor use of the english language (mostly in item descriptions) - there's plenty of spelling mistakes, and the grammar is sometimes unintelligeble

anyway, just my two cents

take care
oaxaca_dan

Willard 12-14-2001 06:43 PM

how do you download it? It takes 25 hours on the internet ( look at that bill) to download it.

Magness 12-14-2001 09:44 PM

I've downloaded TDD and have just started a new party. I have to completely uninstall ToB/SoA and re-install SoA, since TDD is not yet ToB compatible.

I haven't gotten very far as yet. I've completed Nalia's castle. I didn't find any more trolls than usual. There were some other rather interesting "guests" outside the castle when I showed up.

Here's my take thus far:

Pros:
More items
10 more NPC's (3 good, 5 evil, 2 nuetral)
More kits

(I know that there are supposed to be more quests, but I haven reached them as yet.)

Cons:
(1) The spelling is really weak. (This is a really annoying gripe for me. It won't limit my enjoying the new playing experience. However, as a professional programmer, I find such constant spelling errors to be really annoying, in the extreme. As I said on the TDD board, nothing screams unprofessional like bad spelling.)

(2) Far too many kit-specific items. I like new items. Bring'em on!!! But these kit specific items are just too much. Hammers that only certain kit of clerics can use? A sling that only the "slinger" kit (which BTW only can be selected by halflings) can use? Just too darned restrictive.

On the whole, I will still give a thumbs up. What the heck, it's new material. As long as its functional, I won't complain too much.

oaxaca_dan 12-15-2001 12:47 AM

Magness -
lol, i think i read that other message on the TDD forum... hehe - so my eyes were looking for those things you pointed out, and i agree with you, especially about the spelling stuff

the items too - though i must admit that i picked classes (lord, protector of the faith) that ended up having cool class-specific items, so i wasn't so upset - i know exactly what you're referring to

Willard -
in terms of downloading it, i have cable connection (finally), so it took about an hour - they have cd's you can get, but they charge you a little for the production and shipping. I think they tell you to use a download manager, which i suppose helps you split the download process (pause/continue) to little time increments

later
oaxaca_dan

huma 12-15-2001 02:18 AM

So....where can one download it from?
THANKS.

oaxaca_dan 12-15-2001 02:39 AM

Download darkest day? here's the link, though its a large download - 266mb

http://teambg.db-forge.com/net/tdd/?...&sel=0#install

oaxaca_dan

huma 12-15-2001 03:03 AM

That,s why I like this forum...Ask and ye shall receive.
muchly appreciated :D

Yorick 12-15-2001 04:25 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magness:
(1) The spelling is really weak. <hr></blockquote>

*groan*

Bahamut 12-15-2001 10:34 PM

really? can you like give me an instance on where spelling was a drag...