Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Guns 2 (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75352)

Ar-Cunin 05-27-2002 11:16 AM

to continue the guns thread that have reached 300 posts [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

here is Magik's original post: quote

Should guns, hand guns, hunting rifles be made illegal for eveyrone but law enforcement?

end qoute

And I can't copy the poll - oh well.

Earthdog 05-27-2002 11:31 AM

In Australia certain kinds of guns are legal but even cops have to turn theirs in when they go off duty. After duty hours cops are just like any other civilian as apposed to the USA where cops are cops 24/7 and they carry their guns 24/7

What are the laws concerning cops and guns in European nations?

[ 05-27-2002, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]

johnny 05-27-2002 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthdog:
In Australia certain kinds of guns are legal but even cops have to turn theirs in when they go off duty. After duty hours cops are just like any other civilian as apposed to the USA where cops are cops 24/7 and they carry their guns 24/7

i'm not sure, but i believe in holland they have to turn their guns in too. I think that's a stupid rule.

MagiK 05-27-2002 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
to continue the guns thread that have reached 300 posts [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

here is Magik's original post: quote

Should guns, hand guns, hunting rifles be made illegal for eveyrone but law enforcement?

end qoute

And I can't copy the poll - oh well.

Hehe no need to quote me here [img]smile.gif[/img] that thread has grown way beyond what I wanted to find out [img]smile.gif[/img] Bu tthanks for starting the new thread and getting the other locked. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sir Goulum 05-27-2002 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthdog:

<font color=Orange>Yes, the rule in the US does make some sense, because they could be called onto duty, but have no time to pick up their gun at a police station. What then? But it also has some downers, because if the officer gets mad and has enough motivation, he could kill someone or someone else with his gun he has 24/7</font>

Earthdog 05-27-2002 10:49 PM

This is true, but I think one reason cops carry their guns 24/7 is because if they happen to be in a bank or liquor store and the place gets held up, they have the tool to do something about it. Carrying their gun at all times could save innocent lives. Of course this brings us back to the debate on "How can the store get robbed if the perpetrator doesnt have a gun?"

Knives to the throat work. Swords arent all that uncommon in the states. I had several before I moved to Oz.

Here in Oz the thing that seems to be popular for robbing stores is a blood filled syringe. The threat of being contaminated with HIV is pretty serious. One guy who ran a convenience store got held up with such so he proceeded to pick up a phone book and wear out the cranial cavity of the would be robber.

As it turned out the robber was a heroin junky but he didnt have HIV. He was bluffing.

Should this blood filled syringe be considered armed robbery? It is life threatening albeit dying in ten years as apposed to instant death.