Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   SIMPLE KANGAXX STRATEGY (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58927)

Kaleban 11-13-2001 11:22 AM

Ok, here is the easiest way to defeat Kangaxx no matter what class you are. The biggest problem is twofold, he has True Sight and unlimited Imprisonment. What this means is that regardless of party size and composition, you need to be able to counteract these two threats.

For whatever reason, Protection from Magic scrolls do not protect against Lich Imprisonment (perhaps its regarded as an innate, non-magical ability), so while Kangaxx is still in Lich form, the best thing to do is to engage at range with magic or items able to hit him (like the Sling of Everard, etc.). His Lich form is relatively easy to defeat even with one character, I've found that once he casts all his nasty spells like Gate, that as long as you are out of range he'll go after his Pit Fiend. Eventually, he'll just start coming after you and try to melee. Simply stay out of melee range and whittle him down.

Upon his demilich transformation, move any character that is weak at fighting to the stairs and out of the basement. Use your best fighters, and have them read Protection from Undead scrolls. Kangaxx will now ignore them and allow them to kill him at their leisure. He will eventually break morale and start zipping around, I find it easiest to "herd" him into the walkway that leads to his casket. You can then chop him up there.

The other option is to use Staff of the Magi and Cloak of Non-Detection. Become visible to initiate dialog, then go invisible and wait for the inevitable Timestop. You'll be invisible and Protected from Evil, so he will be unable to target spells (True Sight does not work against the Cloak), and you can wait out while he battles his Summon. When the Pit Fiend falls, let loose with Cloudkill. This is an easy way to kill the Lich, as you pop in and out of invisibility. Once he goes demi on you, just read the Protection from Undead scroll (if soloing a mage-type, also use oil of speed and Tenser's Transformation) for each character that will attack.

Any comments, corrections, or additions are welcome.

LennonCook 11-14-2001 03:11 AM

Where do i get the staff of the magi and cloak of non detection??
What are there stats??

chinese noodle 11-14-2001 03:14 AM

no he does not have unlimited imprisonments, using shadow keeper, i have loaded up kangaxx and it is an innate ability he has about 16 of as well as about 2 time stops.

Mitro Jellywadder 11-14-2001 03:20 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SookmaCook:
Where do i get the staff of the magi and cloak of non detection??
What are there stats??
<hr></blockquote>

Spoiler.
The Staff of the Magi is found in the Twisted Rune battle. It is located in the Bridge District, near the Delosar Inn. You need a Rogue Stone to enter. Be Afraid. Be very, very, afraid.

The cloack of non-detection...well...it makes you non-detectable.

Staff of the Magi

Invisibility
Immunity to Charm
Protection From Evil
Fireball-Lightning Spell (combined)
Spell Trap

Combat ability: each hit dispels magic

range : 150
Thac0 : +1 bonus
Damage 1d6 +1
Saving Throws : + 2 bonus
Speed Factor : 4

Jan 11-14-2001 03:30 AM

The easiest way is to cast wizards eye right next to the demi lich and pound him. That's easy as hell.

samoza 11-14-2001 03:16 PM

Heres a thought - why dont we dedicate a new forumn to all Kangaxx related questions, theres so many!!!lol [img]smile.gif[/img]

Aapje 11-14-2001 03:18 PM

but that doesnt answer all his questions, where can I/he find the cloak of non detection?

Kaleban 11-14-2001 06:59 PM

Cloak of Non-Detection is found off the human wizard in Mencar Pebblecrusher's party in one of the inn/taverns in the Waukeen's Promenade area (Mithrest I belive, 2nd floor).

It can be a difficult fight for a low-level party/solo, so be careful.

Oh, and to address Jan's idea of Wizard Eye usage, it is an excellent idea, but a solo Kensai, Thief, or Cleric may have a difficult time doing that... this can be done by even a solo cleric with the Sling of Everard, so as you can see, I was trying to adapt the strategy to a wide variety of play-style and party composition.

Skunk 11-14-2001 07:03 PM

Except that the cloak doesn't work... True sight does indeed dispel your invisibility...

Zerthimon 11-14-2001 08:08 PM

....and you might wanna detect traps on the Twisted Rune's door before you go and open it.