Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need some advice for free webspace (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92135)

dplax 11-03-2004 11:17 AM

I am wanting to upload a file of 142 megabytes size so that I can send it to someone who does not have sufficiently large email. I have looked at a lot of free webspace providers, but either the total limit or the filesize limit is too small, or you have to pay for it. So basically what I am looking for is a provider where I can upload the file without paying for it. Would anyone be able to help?

Bozos of Bones 11-03-2004 11:25 AM

Well you've got gmail. With a gigabyte of free space I think you could be creative enough to find a way to send it through that(upload from your own address, then either give him the login, or send again) Hope it helped.

Gabrielles blades 11-03-2004 11:26 AM

dont think there are any with that big of a limit...
you could try using p2p software instead though
ICQ for example works depending on if you can set it up right.
DC++ is probably easier though

Bungleau 11-03-2004 02:02 PM

I'm assuming you've tried zipping it up to compress the size already, right?

Well, when you do that, you can also tell Winzip to break it into multiple smaller zip files that can be reassembled on the other end. That will bypass those nasty limits entirely.

You could also use a thumb drive (256MB is fairly cheap) and send it over.

Or best of all, you could find a friendly FTP site and let them download it from there.

RoSs_bg2_rox 11-03-2004 02:05 PM

Yes, first try RARing or something. If that doesn't work then you could just use DC++ or Soul Seek etc. and get the guy to dl it from there. Or send it to me and I will host it for you, although that still means you will have to upload it.

Oh yeh, and you can't send that big an attachment on Gmail.

Edit: Oh yes Patrick, I just remembered you can't use download programs, hmm, sending seems the best way.

[ 11-03-2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]

Bozos of Bones 11-03-2004 03:19 PM

What is gmail's limit anyway? I can0t find it anywhere..

dplax 11-03-2004 03:32 PM

The problem with all the suggested P2P programs is that the university firewall here blocks all of them. So no Kazaa, DC++, etc.. Gmail doesn't accept that large attachments and MSN messenger is horrendously slow. Anyone have any other ideas?

Gnarf 11-03-2004 04:17 PM

Split it up into smaller files (for example, you can specify volume size when making a .rar with WinRAR). Then you can upload'em at different places (or one at a time), attach'em to a bunch'a e-mails or something...