Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What is Dungeon Craft? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42525)

Vedran 07-21-2005 09:41 AM

TSIA

manikus 07-21-2005 11:49 AM

<font size=3>Dungeon Craft is an open source game engine modeled on SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Headed up by Richard Turner, Dungeon Craft is all the things that FRUA wanted to be. Dungeon Craft supports resolutions up to 1024 by 768, also allowing 800 by 600 and 640 by 480. It allows 8, 16, and 24 bit color depths in a variety of standard graphics formats including .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .pcx and .png. Levels, pictures, text- all of these areas have an incredibly high number of allowances and vastly increased sizes over FRUA. The best part is that it's almost 100% customizable. There is one drawback- it is not finished yet. But, what is usable is astounding.

-manikus</font>

Lucern 07-21-2005 03:21 PM

I'm a fan of the goldbox games, but that was well after their heyday and FRUA's, so I'm not really familiar with FRUA.

Given what's available in the state of DC, a couple of general questions seem most appropriate here:

Could we find old FRUA campaigns and play them in DC? Would anything be different?

Could we make something that anyone would want to play with what's there?

How much scripting is involved in making a DC campaign? I realize it may depend, but some editors are more or less reliant upon user scripting.

manikus 07-21-2005 04:10 PM

<font size=3>Let's see what I can answer here.
Yes and kinda. Yes.
Absolutely.
Anywhere from none to a little for most designs to a fair amount if you want to simulate a telephone, etc.

-manikus</font>

Lucern 07-21-2005 04:50 PM

In that case...cool :D

I'm checking to see what's out there, starting with your links.

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

manikus 07-22-2005 02:54 AM

<font size=3>There's actually a pretty big FRUA community- with a yahoo group with about 500 members. The FRUA designs transfer into DC, but need to have the artwork added. Someone has already converted all of FRUA's art to a format that DC can use.The process is a bit tedious with a small learning curve, but doable. I am always willing to answer any questions and give any advice as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As soon as I get some free time, I'll upload my two designs. Both have been beta tested so should be playable. :D

-manikus</font>

SilentThief 09-16-2005 01:00 PM

Well, I know I haven't been around much lately to spout off on these subjects (no internet again...); but unfourtunately: No we do not yet have ALL the FRUA art converted... but it is in the works.
The icons for enemy character types (like the warrior, the thug, the cutpurse (memory is kinda shady on the names)) as well as some of the sprites and smallpics (moving pictures and stillpics) are not yet available.

SilentThief

[ 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: SilentThief ]