Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31762)

ElfBane 11-23-2008 01:42 PM

Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Finding a WIN98SE standalone disk will be tricky. MS doesn't sell them anymore, so you are left with garage sale/flea market or use a buddy's. But you could probably buy a warez 98 disk from a shady online dealer.

uk_john 11-23-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElfBane (Post 1222748)
Finding a WIN98SE standalone disk will be tricky. MS doesn't sell them anymore, so you are left with garage sale/flea market or use a buddy's. But you could probably buy a warez 98 disk from a shady online dealer.

You could try ebay. And as long as you have a bona-fide disk of XP or Vista, I would have thought you are allowed to download a Win 98 disk from wherever you can find it.

Shadow Stranger 11-25-2008 07:37 AM

Windows is supposed to have a compatibility mode for 98, is this installing of a virtual W 98 system superior to the compatibility mode?

uk_john 11-25-2008 12:57 PM

Well, I never got it working in Win98 or any other compatibility mode. I got as far as just having the mouse icon problem, where it doesn't change, which I understand is a DirectX problem. Others of course have got their copy working in XP, and I tried a lot of their suggestions to no avail. So me going down the Virtual PC route was a last result - and I HAD a Win98 OS disk! So if you have to GET a Win98 OS disk, then it really IS the last resort to get it working, I would have thought! :)

Bungleau 11-25-2008 02:21 PM

Yes, a VM is superior to compatibility. In a VM, you're actually running that OS - you're not running XP (or whatever) pretending to be 98.

uk_john 11-25-2008 06:19 PM

Just to let you know guys, I have also got the game running in software mode (it doesn't look too different than D3D to be honest!) in my XP using win95 compatibility and using a CPU speed controller (freeware) called SpeedSwitch XP. It is actually designed for laptops to save battery life by slowing CPU speed. I got it to work after turning on my Cool'n'Quiet option in my Bios (Award). What it does (on my PC) is take my dual core 2.8ghz down to two 1.0ghz, I then switch one off and therefore now have a 1.0ghz CPU. I used this program to get 'Outcast' running, and thought i'd try it with W&W. So if getting a win98 disk for Virtual PC is not possible, try downloading SpeedSwitch XP. I have an AMD CPU, so I downloaded 'AMDClock' which allows me to quickly see CPU speed. This is how I know SpeedSwitch XP takes my cpu's down from 2800 to 1000 on each core!

I hope you have cool'n'quiet (or similar) on your motherboard and that SpeedSwitch XP works on your PC (just double clcik desktop shortcut then right-click on taskbar icon and choose 'Maximum Battery'- it's that simple!) as it does mine, because you then maybe be able to get the game running in either D3D or software. I can only get it working in software with it, but you may do better, and it's a better answer than finding a Win98 OS disk! :)

Peltz 04-05-2009 08:32 AM

Can someone please post the games recommended system requirements. Also if anyone has got the game to work for more than say 25minutes, can you please post your: Op sys, GPU, mobo, CPU and Ram.

When i install the game it runs fine for about 25 minutes after that no matter if i load a save or start a new, the game crashes immediatly. So uninstall and install again for a new 25minute game.

I was thinking that i could build a box real cheap for this game if i could find the recommended specs for the game.

Bungleau 04-05-2009 07:19 PM

Welcome to the boards, Peltz! May your journeys in the Gael Serran last much, much longer than a mere 25 minutes :)

If you want to build a cheap box for it, put on Win 98. Put in a gig of memory (Win98 won't handle more than that, methinks), and you should be fine.

Have you tried installing the patch? Or the other things listed in the Tech Tips thread?

Beanstalk 10-03-2009 10:49 AM

I got a new one (I think)

My specs: core2 quad, 8 gigs ram, geforce 8800 gtx, Win Vista64

Amazingly, W&W runs without a hitch in software mode.
But as soon as I switch to D3D (with or without the graphics patch), I get EXTREME flickering, choppiness and heavy graphical artefacts (most of the landscape becomes invisible, save for the occasional tree).

Interestingly, the character avatars on the upper left as well as the NPCs in the shops/guilds in town display fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Maybe a different driver version?
I don´t think I can "bust down" directx under vista...

Wyvern 10-14-2009 08:36 AM

Sorry for such a delay in replying and also that I'm not the techie around here and will not have any reasonable advice.

I believe there have often been issues getting this game to run in modes other than software mode and that may end up being your best choice.

Hopefully someone with technical knowledge will come along and give you some better/useful advice.

Wyv