Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A question about RAM (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83459)

homer 01-06-2003 11:45 PM

I am not very computer savvy so if this is an ignorant question I apologize. I am looking to add RAM to my computer and would like to know which of the following I should purchase:

1. A 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM chip or,
2. A 512MB PC133 SDRAM chip

It would seem to me that the more memory involved the better off I am. However, since the price for both of these chips is close to the same, I assume the 256 chip is better. I suppose it is also possible that one may not work with my computer. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]

johnny 01-07-2003 12:58 AM

DDR RAM is better.

Rikard_OHF 01-07-2003 02:40 AM

if I'm correct they are different chips and require different slots in ur motherbord and you need to see what port you have first

Ar-Cunin 01-07-2003 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:
if I'm correct they are different chips and require different slots in ur motherbord and you need to see what port you have first
Correct - my computer/motherboard (2 years old) only have room for an extra 128 MB RAM.

Paladin2000 01-07-2003 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by homer:
I am not very computer savvy so if this is an ignorant question I apologize. I am looking to add RAM to my computer and would like to know which of the following I should purchase:

1. A 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM chip or,
2. A 512MB PC133 SDRAM chip

It would seem to me that the more memory involved the better off I am. However, since the price for both of these chips is close to the same, I assume the 256 chip is better. I suppose it is also possible that one may not work with my computer. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]

You better check your motherboard first. Older motherboards will not support DDR or RDRAM while some sh*t motherboard (like my current one) only supports RDRAM.

[ 01-07-2003, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]

Sir Krustin 01-07-2003 07:36 AM

It depends on what mobo and cpu you have. If you have a fairly new Athlon or P4 system, use the DDR. If the system is more than a couple of years old, or a celeron, it'll probably only need the PC133.

homer 01-07-2003 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
It depends on what mobo and cpu you have. If you have a fairly new Athlon or P4 system, use the DDR. If the system is more than a couple of years old, or a celeron, it'll probably only need the PC133.
I do know that the processor is an Athlon running at 900Mhz. I do not have any idea what kind of motherboard I have. The computer is a Compaq, I purchased it less than 2 years ago, and It came with 128 RAM. When I installed a graphics card I noticed another slot next to the currant RAM chip.

I was also under the impression that I do not need to keep the current RAM chip when I install the new one. Is this not true? Or mabey it dose not make a difference either way. Thank you again for any help. :confused:

andrewas 01-07-2003 09:27 AM

You might or might be able to keep yoru current ramchip. If you can, do keep it because although RAM is cheap these days its still not worth throwing away.

You will have to find out your motherboard though, or at least dig out your system manual and see what it can support. If it cant take DDR RAM then theres no way to make it do so. Id guess it will take the PC133 chip, but I cant be certain.

Post your model number, I have compaqs site in history here so I can find out quick enough.

homer 01-07-2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewas:
You might or might be able to keep yoru current ramchip. If you can, do keep it because although RAM is cheap these days its still not worth throwing away.

You will have to find out your motherboard though, or at least dig out your system manual and see what it can support. If it cant take DDR RAM then theres no way to make it do so. Id guess it will take the PC133 chip, but I cant be certain.

Post your model number, I have compaqs site in history here so I can find out quick enough.

The model number is 7994, Compaq Presario. Thanks again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Rokenn 01-07-2003 03:07 PM

You also may need to update the BIOS on your motherboard to use the 512MB stick.
I recently upgrade my dell from 512mb (2 256mb sticks) to 1GB (2 512mb sticks). The machine refused to boot with the new ram till I flashed the BIOS.

[ 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]