Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Glacias Discussion (Spoilers) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14871)

Tancred 02-16-2004 05:18 AM

For those who find their charm spells are charming Glaicas but not freeing im, try using charms which dont work on humans. Charm Air Elemental, Charm Animal... stuff from cheap magic items. Even the Ranger special ability, though you'll have to use it a few times for it to work 'cos Glaicas has a high save. The computer will think he's been countercharmed and free him, but because you haven't actually charmed him it won't override his script and turn him green.

drew_jarvie 02-16-2004 06:18 AM

Taken from DSimpson's guide which I found at gameFAQ.com....

Quote:

Within this room is a former guardsman by the name of Glaicas. There is
a non-violent way to end this, (see below) but only if you have Nalia in
your party.

Glaicas - 9500 exp
Flail Head (Acid, 2 of 3)
Full Plate Mail
Potions
Gold

Non-violent Solution: (from Sergio Le Roux)

In the de'Arnise Hold, in the secret room where Glaicas is located,
you have to charm him to "normalcy". But there's a bug with the game:
a couple of seconds after you charm him, he turns blue for about 1
second, then turns green again. So, basically, your own charm spell
is interfering with the script that would lead to him talking to
you.

If you want to save him (and earn 22,550 xp), you have to time it
right so that when you charm him (he turns green) one of your attacks
will hit him (this must happen BEFORE he turns blue). He will turn
red again... pause the game and make sure you stop all your
characters! He will continue being hostile, but then the script will
kick in. He'll talk to you and give you the last part of the flail.

There is absolutely nothing in the next room, so go back out.

Dundee Slaytern 02-16-2004 06:27 AM

? Never had that problem before. I just charm him with the Ring of Earth Control and he turns neutral like a charm (no pun intended) (after the effects wear off of course).

wally p 02-16-2004 10:42 AM

I thought the ring of earth control was charm elemental...does it work on humanoids?

Jerr Conner 02-21-2004 08:38 PM

Ah, yes Jan was shooting bolts at him! That's why it worked!

Nerull 02-21-2004 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wally p:
I thought the ring of earth control was charm elemental...does it work on humanoids?
As Tancred stated, charms that do not work on humans work just fine on him. While this is actually incorrect, it offers you the best way to free him. As Tancred stated, it puts him under your control, but when it wears off, it doesn't trigger him to go hostile. He then turns blue, and you can talk to him.

Lord 02-22-2004 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wally p:
It's only supposed to charm elementals, but it charms other things too. IIRC, it charms all giants, which includes a human.

Link 02-22-2004 06:22 AM

IIRC the Ring of Human Influence will work on chickens as well. Don't know for sure though [img]smile.gif[/img]

karlosovic 02-22-2004 07:30 AM

and in fact... It's been my experience whenever a mage fails the mind-battle for summoning earth elementals, that the stupid ring doesn't even work on the one thing its designed to charm!

not once for me