Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Oil on Mars? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99176)

Yorick 06-02-2008 12:01 AM

Oil on Mars?

Imagine... if they do, it will change everything. All those defense dollars poured into the space race. But all the positive ecological inroads we've made towards clean fuels etc. could be lost with a renewed license to use oil. Would the price plummet? Would shares in Oil companies skyrocket?

Who knows what would happen if Phoenix drills down for water and discovers oil on Mars?

Bungleau 06-02-2008 12:41 AM

Re: Oil on Mars?

Don't expect much just yet. The cost of transporting the oil from there to here would be cost-prohibitive, to say the least.

Albromor 06-02-2008 12:42 AM

The cost factor would be so astronomically (pun intended) expensive that I wouldn't see this happening for at least three generations. We don't even have the technology to get humans to Mars.

Firestormalpha 06-02-2008 12:45 AM

The question really would the cost in rocket fuel and other mission costs outweigh the profits to be reaped by oil on mars. Of course there's also the scientific implications as well. If you find oil you have some evidence of possible life on a planet other than earth. A statistical improbability to the extent of being not even plausible, but not yet an impossibility.

Wow, interesting to see we're all on the same page cost-wise.

Harkoliar 06-02-2008 05:34 AM

i would prefer we sort out the clean energy first. thanks :)

johnny 06-02-2008 06:57 AM

Wouldn't it be much more convenient if there were huge barleyfields on Mars? Can't wait to open up my own pub there. :D

Kakero 06-02-2008 07:58 AM

Don't mind my english...

By the time we have spacecraft going to Mars or other planets, which I see will only happens in hundred or so years from now (if it does happens). Around that time, are we still using oil as fuel or energy? Won't we be using other alternative stuff (solar? fusion?) as fuel or energy?

My point is that, currently as we are having oil crisis (either through rising oil prices and oil reserve getting less and less). Aren't our scientist researching other alternative stuff to replace oil? Granted, eventhough such research is currently still in it's infancy stage. But in another hundred or so years from now. I'm sure they have either found or perfected these alternative to replace oil as fuel or energy.

Firestormalpha 06-02-2008 08:15 AM

well there's always nuclear power plants, not 100% clean, and everytime someone builds one someone accuses them of starting a weapons program.

Solar power is already pretty effective.

Fusion I think would be a touch difficult seeing as the only place I've heard of it being a sustained reaction is in the core of the Sun (and the other stars)

And from what I've seen and heard hydrogen powered cars have been a good option for some time now.

Essentially many of the technologies that give you clean energy already exist in an efficient form. Have they been optimized? probably not yet, but put them into action first and reduce the dependence on petroleum then work on perfecting them.

SpiritWarrior 06-02-2008 11:16 AM

Well the international space station closest to Mars is solar powered.

SecretMaster 06-02-2008 05:43 PM

Maybe we should merge this thread and the nuclear thread... they seem to be going in the same direction.