Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Advice needed (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58652)

Bokken 11-04-2001 09:52 AM

SPOILER!
I have just got off the ship (start of chapter 4) that took me to the island, where supposedly I will be able to find Imoen. I have not been to places like Trademeet though so I was just wondering if I am moving ahead too quick. In other words if this is near the end of the game maybe I should load up a previous save and go explore a bit more.
I have Throne of Bhaal so if there was something I had to do in trademeet that can be done in TOB then I'd probably continue but it just feels like I am near the end. That or I'm just really paranoid heh

Dundee Slaytern 11-04-2001 10:06 AM

Do not worry, you can still complete all the subquests in Chapter 6.

Bokken 11-04-2001 10:17 AM

Thanks Dundee_Slaytern! Was worried about that one for a while.

Desuma Malevois 11-04-2001 12:28 PM

Bokken, although I've not played ToB yet, there's something that I know that I feel you should be warned about based on what you said in your initial post. Since I'm not sure whether it's a spoiler or not I'm including some spoiler space...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Once you start ToB, you CANNOT access SoA areas, so make sure you've explored all you want beforehand (chapter 6 is a good time). In addition, if there's something you want to keep but don't want to carry with you, stick it in a chest in Watcher's Keep, as that is the one area that the two games have in common.

Bokken 11-04-2001 12:38 PM

Desuma Malevois - I really appreciate the last post! I actually knew that you couldn't access any of the areas but I only thought it meant Athkatla. Now that you've mentioned it though, I'm glad you pointed out that I can store things in watchers keep! I have everything stashed in my fort now so, I'll have to do some shipping as soon as I get back on the world map.

The.Relic 11-04-2001 11:33 PM

The only thing that I would add to this is that the subquests in the different regions offer alot of XP's which obviously benefit your characters, enabling most of them to level up at least twice. Making them a little stronger and more capable of handling the situations that arise when you move on to ch. 4. If you save them until you get back, you will find them rather anti-climactic and you might find yourself annoyed that you hadn't added all those XP's to your characters before you left.
There are also certain items that are extremely useful that you will only aquire in these areas that you might like to have in the latter chapters. Carsomyr for one if you have a paladin in your party.

Bokken 11-05-2001 12:00 AM

So would I be better off loading up a previous save and heading off to trademeet? I still have't played BG2 since I posted this as I want to make sure whether it's a good idea to go on or not.
I guess I'll just load a previous save and find out either way [img]smile.gif[/img]

The.Relic 11-05-2001 12:13 AM

In my opinion yes. All those quests and subquests and the XP's and items you will aquire from them, not to mention other NPC's you will meet and can add to your party if you prefer them over someone you have, will benefit your party far more if you do them before you go, rather than if you wait and do them afterwards.

Amergin 11-05-2001 12:15 AM

from a practical standpoint, the side quests offer more than just XP. there are also rep points and nice items to be had.

since you mention trademeet... in a relatively simple series of quests you can easily acquire +3 rep points, get a great shield, and be able to buy a nice belt, cloak, and club.

if you get to chapter 6 before doing these, with the exception of windspear hills, you might find them so easy as to be an annoyance rather than a challenge. and with the ToB already installed, imoen's XP when you rescue her is substantially more proportional than before (much higher than the previous cap of 400k), so dont fret much about her being too far behind.

for myself i only leave windspear hills, twisted rune, and kangaxx as the only side quests remaining before going to spellhold, more out of wanting imoen to be involved in things instead of just heading straight for suldanessalar.

Bokken 11-05-2001 12:26 AM

A very well put explanation by both of you Amergin and The.Relic. I'll be heading back there in no time!