Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   *sighs* Role Playing Game? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60317)

KalenLeah 12-01-2000 12:14 AM

I don't know. I (for myself) am actually no hero, and sometimes, I dont see the sense in some riddles. Problem is, is it against my role using the search function, or browsing through posts, which contain spoilers for thing I already managed. I don't think role playing has something to do with "riddle solving", it is the atmosphere. But if i hit someones butt with my post, I apologize.

Kalen

KalenLeah 12-01-2000 05:54 AM

I dont want to be a cockhead, but .... What is this all about? I mean, I bought the Game, cause it said "Role Playing Game", then I read this thread and think about my role.

I should be the chosen one, the last hope, the saviour of a land, which is threatened by unspeakable evil. I am breathing hard, my enemys are everywhere. Every step could be my last. Just encountered a dragon, i paid respect and honored this Ancient Dragon, cause he is more than 10 000 Years old, a hundred times more than a human life would last. I am proud that the last watcher of the mavin Sword, a blade which beholds the only way to save the land, thinks me worthy of the blade. After I snap the blade from the altar, hands still shivering because of its might, my dwarven warrior in the party tips on my shoulder and points to the dragon... "Hey Kalen, what about our Exp, lets kill it, I dont think we need it anymore...."

You get the point? If I want to kill, I just play Quake, or Unreal, if I want to kill and like the mideaval, then I play heretic, but no roleplaying games.

Sorry for the inconvinience
Kalen Leah

PS: Yes, i talk to my Chars when I sit in front of the computer.

Astyanax12 12-01-2000 06:16 AM

Weeeelll, if you really, really want to do pure role playing in this game then you shouldn't be reading this board. There are far too many spoilers, hints and cheats here. Even the hardest of puzzles should be solvable by sheer dint of play. (Hmmmm, dunno about the Valkyrie ascension tho).

My advice to you is to keep talking to your characters and to play the game as it should be played, and only when you are really, truly stumped should you come back to the board. And then use only the search facility to avoid picking up any Forbidden Knowledge from the Demi-Goddess Wyvern and her Spoiler Demons.

Wyvern 12-01-2000 07:37 AM

Yikes!!!

In one thread I'm rumored to be D.W.Bradley and now a demi-goddess (complete with spoiler demons)???? LOL!!! You, Astyanax, are named among their numbers!!!

Wyv

P.S. I never kill the good NPCs - I don't care how much experience their death might give my party - they are the good guys and good guys have to stick together!

Junker 12-01-2000 07:45 AM

I totaly Agree with you Kalen Leah...The worst is when some people even come to this board asking if they spoiled the game if they killed this or that NPC,,,,Furthermore why shouldnt we Roleplayers read this board what has that to do whit this thread ??

Astyanax12 12-01-2000 01:18 PM

No offense taken or intended. My only point is that this board is packed full of spoilers (and requests for spoilers) which it is impossible to avoid except through careful use of the Search function. This is because W&W has lots of puzzles to solve and many people are anxious to overcome seemingly impossible problems. As for whether this is a Good Thing or whether this is a Bad Thing is an argument I don't want to get into.

THE_ONE 12-01-2000 04:24 PM

I guess it depends on what Role Playing means to yourself. If you want to be a goodie, of course you shouldn't kill the innocent. But if you decide to lead a group of mean, nasty bastards (you know, the dark sourceror, the black knight, the evil warlock,...), act like them! Pure role playing doesn't mean having to be the white knight all the time. Just be everything you think that you could ever be!

As for the spoilers: as long as looking for a clue or anything is fun, don't spoil it. If it becomes frustrating, just go in for a little help from a friend (like the omniscient Wyvern). Remember, we are playing for fun, and not for the Cause of Purity!

Well, that's how I see role playing - just a personal opinion, of course.

THE ONE

P.S.: It's good to know there are still people who think about the meaning of role playing!

Junker 12-01-2000 07:15 PM

Okey first of all I need to point out this, everyone has the right to play a game how they see fit(most fun etc etc), In the end its all about that,,but here we are talking about roleplaying so I just had to answer...

Well Well lol..This is an answer to THE_ONE.....If you havent noticed that yet, as I see it you havent,,W.W simply isnt written for a group of "mean nasty bastards " or Evil characthers there is several games that has the option for this, one evil and one good path...but W.W doesnt..with that said , well yes you can still play a band of evil characters ,but in this case then nothing adds up,,Why would you try to destroy Cet,etc etc (I could go on for the whole story)..If the senario was real you should have allied with your enemies in the game, but you simply cant do that....So you want to play evil and still save the world from evil..hmm interesting!!(possible roleplaying scenario),,maybe taking over the Cet role yourself ??..WELL I DONT THINK SO.

No No No this is just a very cheap way of trying to defend that extra lust for exp..As stated above, there is nothing wrong in that, you can play the game as you see fit,,,But I still laugh at some that ask what they missed if they killed that NPC, or if they will be able to finish the game or not..for those that do this the game will always seem buggy,,,cus it isnt written for this sort of behavior....

thoon 12-01-2000 08:38 PM

yikes! Maybe I had better go back and unkill that dragon. Well ... he was a pompous old s.o.b. and he tried many times to burn me up and eat me.

Lily the Ranger 12-01-2000 09:06 PM

I dont play for experience points. I play for the game. The game is supposed to be whatever I want it to be. This game seems to award points for quests and kills. When DM D&D we had experience points or penalty points and you could get creative. This game will give you enough rope to hang yourself. (I dropped it in town and it ain't coming back). I only debate the "morals" of an action in fun. I admit I have exploited one little bug for points (just one and only for the experience of having tried it), I got bored real quick though . . . for me the thrill is the play. Sometime I am a meany, usually try to be good. It is fun to save and go do something you know you "shouldn't" just to try it. I like the dragon even though he has crisped my several times now. But if you like the points and the learned sages here says "no consequence". . . KILL EM

freudianslip 12-01-2000 09:13 PM

Blasphemers!

What does role playing mean?

PLAYING the PART of a ROLE..

so if you get more XP for killing a dragon, you choose to refrain from such heinous antics!

For we are such that seek the Mavin, and seek the truth...

www.seastop.com/www.htm

or even, when we grow wholly disillusioned,

www.seastop.com/wwshinw.htm

we shall give our dreams to you, child!

freudianslip 12-01-2000 09:16 PM

errr, sory, for my misappropriated links:

The dream. The truth.

thoon 12-02-2000 12:15 AM

There are major moral questions I agree, but I trust that even the most noble among you realize that the dragon swallowed Kerah's stepdaughter, and without the Lamented Shoelace, you will never get into the zombie mound.

Archimedes 12-02-2000 12:56 AM

So I guess the verdict is that it is good to play games as good, that it is all right to play games as evil, but that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you play the game as Neutral Greedy.

Astyanax12 12-02-2000 04:07 AM

I'm with THE_ONE on this. How you choose to play the game is entirely up to you. You should play mean, evil bastards if that is what you prefer. And I don't agree that W&W is built for goody-two-shoes only. At the end you have the choice of allying with Cet or even refusing to...... (spoiler deleted). SO DWB obviously had an eye on the dark side.

I was impressed by the more complex gameplay of Might & Magic 7 (shame about the graphics tho) where approximately half way through you are faced with a major decision to make - make peace between the humans and elves, or trick them into all out war. As a consequence of that decision you would find yourself on the path of light or the path of dark. The remaining quests, role ascensions and ultimate goal were quite different according to the path taken. Playing the path of light was (as you might expect) in line with most RPG games, but the path of dark was very scary, it made you feel much more for the morality of the situation and responsibility for many of the evil things which flowed from that fateful decision. Ultimately winning with the path of dark actually gave me quite a sick feeling. Now that's what I call role playing (IMHO of course!)

Junker 12-02-2000 09:02 AM

Well Cet actually sais that in the end,,,but doesnt every villain try,,,well its just a dying monsters pray to live !!!!!!!!!!or can you tell me you saved Cets life and got an evil end to the game ????? I DONT THINK SO... So no DW .Bradley didnt include this as an option..

And yes you are right M.M has the option for an evil path, and is written for this,,and so has BG II

But as I said everyone can play the game they see fit...But in this case its just some strange defence of getting those extra exp(and goodies) for that NPC or not,,,

Junker 12-02-2000 02:17 PM

No i didnt say that,,,,I said everyone could play the game as they see fit, and they should absolutly do this cus its most fun to them obviously...But I dont get it..why a roleplaying game !!! Why not some other game where it is inteneded to kill every possible living thing in the entire gameworld....It just made me think..thats it..
Does it feel like its something forbidden,,sort of sneaking with your very first cigarette ??? Hey guys I killed that lady at the windmill,,hehehe !!! Yes i think its odd,,and I just wanted to see what responds I got,,,

freudianslip 12-02-2000 03:11 PM

I think the fallout series did an excellent job of allowing the player to choose between good and evil. In fact, you could actually get a "Child-Killer" perk if you waxed enough pre-pubescents I typically play the path of "good", but it's nice if the option is there, especially if it enhances the replay. (Like MM7, as mentioned.) I also liked the ability to make targetted shots; my female character was a self-proclaimed "crotch-buster" in Fallout! hehe

THE_ONE 12-02-2000 07:32 PM

Thank you for being with me on this topic, Astyanax12! My post was definitely NOT a cheap way to defend a lust for exp, Junker! Just calculate it through. The additional gain in exp from killing key characters is only marginal. It is certainly in no relation to the risk of killing off some guy you might still need later on. (By the way, I play white! I just tried a few kills and loaded back, to get a feel for the gain in exp.)
But as Lily the Ranger said "The game is supposed to be whatever I want it to be." Of course you are a bit restricted by the storyline (expecting you to be a goodie), but the individual imagination can easily overcome this. Just look at Kalen Leah, he talks to his characters, and that's great! And if he just feels like telling his warlock "Hey, just fry this egghead over there!", he doesn't do it for the exp, but for his mood and his fun.
Lily the Ranger said it all, we play for the game and not the exp. Obviously a very wise woman!

Greetings to all of you - just have a good time with this game, any way you want it to play!

THE ONE

Junker 12-02-2000 08:03 PM

To THE_ONE.....The only thing that matters in the end is having fun (I have said so in almost every post),,so I sort of stand back on you with that to,,,And if you are having fun killing those guys then fine,,,And I guess that is the story here,,,,So no hard feelings eh!!

Tuatha de Sidhe 12-06-2000 03:42 PM

Heh! Now I don't feel so bad for killing Mukdawa when he pissed me off for asking why I wasn't going to Toad Village when in fact I was trying to find a way there. (I un-killed him in the next re-load, but it was still a lot of fun to take out my frustrations on him.) I usually run a neutral party: I don't attack anything until it attacks me or gives me a good reason to kill it, regardless of its alliance. I'm taking a breather from Soulbringer, which has enough darkness in it that it scared me. W&W helped put me back in my comfort zone by the wav files that give the tip-off that something nasty's in the vicinity, so I'm pretty happy with it.