Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The murder of a murderer.... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75389)

Alexander 05-28-2002 11:59 PM

Texas has just executed a man convicted of a crime committed when he was seventeen.

Read all about it.

http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/print/...1?OpenDocument

As they say, he can't vote, can't buy cigarettes, can't drink alcohol, and can't own property, but if he commits a crime at 17, he can be murdered for it by the government.

Pure hypocrisy.

dizzy 05-29-2002 12:01 AM

pure justice. he knew the difference between right and wrong and he probably did all of the above things.. just illegaly.

[ 05-29-2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: dizzy ]

johnny 05-29-2002 12:31 AM

i'm pretty sure napoleon knew exactly what he was doing that time and he also knew what the concequences would be, so i'm sorry, but i don't feel sorry for napoleon. He took someone's life, now it's time for him to meet the reaper.

Azred 05-29-2002 12:33 AM

<font color = lightgreen>Yes, Texas did do that. He was arrested, tried, convicted of murder, and sentenced to death by lethal injection. This, of course, means that he gets several appeals, all of which resulted in not overturning the conviction/sentencing. Neither governor Rick Perry, President Bush, nor the Supreme Court saw any valid reason to intervene in the administration of justice, and so he was put to death.

What seems to be the difficulty here? How many appeals and how much consideration of "human rights" did the victim receive?

I have nothing against Amnesty International, but this man was not a political prisoner, he was a duly convicted criminal with no mental impairment.

Does the fact that a murderer may be only 17 make murder somehow more acceptable or any less disgusting? Does the 17-year-old murderer not know the difference between right and wrong? Even my 6-year-old knows that hurting someone else is wrong.

<font color = white>If you are going to commit and adult act such as murder but you are under the age of 18, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences an adult would face.</font>

Finally, I simply must make myself a reminder to care about what Amnesty International has to say one of these days. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] </font>

[ 05-29-2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Azred ]

Alexander 05-29-2002 12:58 AM

If we're going to treat people like this like 18-year olds, why not give them the right to vote, smoke, drink, enlist, whatever? The whole reason we make people wait for all that stuff is because 18 is the age at which people are considered responsible enough. Well, if we're going to treat kids like adults in the realm of punishment, surely we must give them the benefits adults have - and allow them to do the aforementioned things.

Earthdog 05-29-2002 01:01 AM

HMMM where to start.

At the age of 17 he can own property. Land, car, boat. Makes no difference. For that matter in the state of Texas you can own property at any age. So in that, Youre wrong.

Ive always disagreed with the fact that you can join the Army with parental permission at the age of 17, which in turn leads to the possibility that you can fight and die for your country but you arent responsible enough to drink, smoke, or vote. How rediculous is that?
The Surgeon General has determined that smoking is hazardous to your health. Arent bullets and hand grenades dangerous as well???

I, on the other hand, must fall into the hipocrate category because I believe that most people that are over the age of 4 know the difference between right and wrong. 17 or 15 are a far cry from 4. They know they arent supposed to murder people and yet want to hide behind the fact that they arent of "legal" age. They refuse to accept responsibilities for their actions. THATS a load of crap. If an 11 year grabs a gun and goes school and kills 15 kids because they made fun of his buck teeth, that kid should be charged as an adult. It took MALICE and FORETHOUGHT. He knew exactly what he was doing when he did it. Many of the kids that perpetrate crimes like that never feel any remorse whatsoever. Yes they apologise to save their ass. The fact is when the cameras go off and they are back in their cell, they laugh and brag about it. And they are held in high regard by other kids in jail.

How many cop killers are on death row??? how many get a hard time while they are awaiting death??? VERY FEW>>>> they are HONORED by the other prisoners. "You killed a cop??? Yous cool wit me man [img]smile.gif[/img] "

As Berreta used to say "Dont do the crime if ya cant do the time." In this case its a shortened life sentence.

[ 05-29-2002, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]

RudeDawg 05-29-2002 01:11 AM

[img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
I almost avoided this because of how disgustingly PC this board has become, but my opinion is as valid as anyone else.

The only problem with the execution is that we fed, clothed and sheltered the murderer for five years. We wait too long, here in Texas, to carry out the executions. We also spend too much money trying to execute them in a humane way. Stabbing or cutting a throat is free, and the knife can be washed and re-used. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

No, I am not joking.

If this gets me banned, oh well.

[ 05-29-2002, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: RudeDawg ]

Earthdog 05-29-2002 01:12 AM

And just a side thought on this: If I were to brutally murder the leading members of Amnesty International do you think the surviving members would feel sorry for me and ask the judges to be lenient?

And a BIG RIGHT ON to everything you said Azred.

[ 05-29-2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]

MILAMBER 05-29-2002 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dizzy:
pure justice. he knew the difference between right and wrong and he probably did all of the above things.. just illegaly.
I agree 100%. You certainly can tell the difference between right and wrong by 17.

MILAMBER 05-29-2002 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander:
If we're going to treat people like this like 18-year olds, why not give them the right to vote, smoke, drink, enlist, whatever? The whole reason we make people wait for all that stuff is because 18 is the age at which people are considered responsible enough. Well, if we're going to treat kids like adults in the realm of punishment, surely we must give them the benefits adults have - and allow them to do the aforementioned things.
Your whole defense for him keeping his life is based upon his ability to smoke?

Say he could smoke, drink, and buy guns. Would he then be more guilty of his crime? Would he then deserve to die?

I'm afraid you're not making much sense.