Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tornado tips (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74697)

*\Conan/* 04-30-2002 01:55 PM

Recently we had a F-5 blow through the area. It did 100 million dollars worth of damage and took some lives in its wake. I would like to give a few tips on what to do in case one forms your way. Please feel free to add your tips and or memories.

If a watch is issued, it means that a tornado is possible. If a tonado warning is issued, it means that a tornado has actually been spotted, or is strongly indicated on radar and it is time to go to a safe shelter immediately.
* Indoors:
Avoid windows (dont open them). Go to the lowest floor; a basement or small center room like a bathroom or closet. Crouch as low as posible to the floor, facing down. Cover your head with your hands. Cover yourself with some sort of thick padding (matress or blankets), to protect against falling debris.

* In a vehicle
Vehicles are extremely dangerous in a tornado. Park the vehicle, get out and seek shelter in a sturdy building. Avoid seeking shelter under bridges, which over little protection from flying debris.

* Outdoors
Lie flat and face down on low ground, protecting the back of your head with your arms. Get as far away from trees and cars as you can; they may be blown onto you.

Epona 04-30-2002 01:57 PM

Mmmmm... this isn't Scott's Tornado Tips thread... wonder what happened?

EDIT: Oh it is now - weird [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]

Lord Shield 04-30-2002 02:34 PM

more tips:

1) You cannot EAT a tornado

2) You cannot swim in it

*\Conan/* 04-30-2002 03:07 PM

:0

Remember the huge one in the Wizard of OZ?
Appearently alot of things go on inside them that we don't know..numerous possibilitys. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are these your final answers? ;)

*\Conan/* 04-30-2002 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Epona:
Mmmmm... this isn't Scott's Tornado Tips thread... wonder what happened?

EDIT: Oh it is now - weird [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

What did happen? When I posted this it sent me to a different thread for a couple of seconds...weird is right Epona, never had that happen before.

Talthyr Malkaviel 04-30-2002 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord Shield:

1) You cannot EAT a tornado

I beg to differ. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Epona 04-30-2002 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by *\Conan/*:

What did happen? When I posted this it sent me to a different thread for a couple of seconds...weird is right Epona, never had that happen before.

It was very odd Scott - I clicked the title from the index page and got some other thread. Then I hit reply (since I was going to post that in the thread I got) and when it took me back to the thread, here I was after all.

Hadn't even been drinking LOL, and you know I like my beer [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Incidentally, I've never seen a tornado - and I never want to [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]

*\Conan/* 04-30-2002 06:15 PM

This one hit about 45 minute drive from the house. The winds did snap a tree in my back yard but it positioned so it fell into the woods.

LaPlata, MD is hurting bad. Damn thing plowed right into the small town and quick. All the doppler equipment and no one warned quickly enough.? We arent use to this stuff. This is the first F-5 here that I know of..? Strange weather patterns this year for sure. Mybe some of you tornado belt folks could add a couple of tips. Dont worry, you can twist things out of context if you want ;)

Epona 04-30-2002 06:19 PM

I've sat through a hurricane before - and like you say because we don't get them often we just weren't prepared for it. Some rural areas were without power for nearly a month after it hit and there was no infrastructure in place to arrange getting the roads cleared - everyone with a chainsaw went out to help which is great, everyone really pulled together, but it took a while to do it.

I found it scary and exhilarating at the same time - I think fear and excitement are 2 sides of the same coin.

John D Harris 04-30-2002 06:23 PM

Well our tornado warning system just went off. Good thing we are all in the basement :D