Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Best NPC award goes to......YOSHIMO!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49950)

Ramon 01-06-2001 12:47 AM

Well, Memnoch, I have to agree, that's a classic.

Turin, do not worry too much about it, though. Firstly, you did excuse yourself quickly. Secondly, this one is truly a classic in more than one sense, unfortunately. The actual harm you did should thus be pretty minimal. But it should not be that way in the first place, if people would be more careful about spoiling.

I find the topic interesting, too.

My choice for best (meaning most valuable not favourite) npc is clearly Keldorn. What a surprise ! I have been advocating him on various threads for the last couple of days now. The reasons: good thaco, very good hit ponts, probably the best saving throws in the game, that combined with the magic resistance granted by the HA - before he got that I used him mainly with a crossbow, very effective also - but above all his superpowerful dispell magic, his truesight his very useful as well.

So long,

Ramon

Turin_Mormegil 01-06-2001 11:24 AM

When you think about it both of the conventional "theif" skills can be simulated with low level spells. The thing that makes theifs so good are traps, and Yoshimo has the best trap setting abilities of any npc. His traps are just amazing. I took down a dragon with only traps. He can set 3 normal and 3 special traps per day. Those traps cant be resisted and they hit 100% of the time in my expereince. They also do aditional damage per round for a few rounds. At least the special ones. Also they dont disapear after u sleep so potentialy you can have like 20 traps for a monster. I found that 5-6 kill a Lich, around 10 to kill a dragon, 4-5 for Adamantine Golem, and 1-2 for Beholder. Traps are THE best way to kill mages that put up immunities to both magic and magic weapons. I garantee that 10 traps can kill pretty much anything in the game and then some.

Yoshimo is a trained boss killer. So far i can put all his level up points into set traps cuz i got both Knock and Find Traps spells.

Atleast until he betrays you yoshi is a vert very useful little theif

Memnoch 01-06-2001 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Turin_Mormegil:
Atleast until he betrays you yoshi is a vert very useful little theif

See what I was talking about about unmarked spoilers, Ramon? Here's an example of one. Granted, it's the worst kept secret in the game but Turin didn't need to include the above quote, especially with a title like that which practically invites newbies to look at the post. Didn't spoil me but i'm sure it will spoil a few people.

Turin_Mormegil 01-06-2001 11:42 AM

Crap...sorry bout that forgot to put in the spoiler alert. Its like 2 am and im loosing it. sorry

G.W. 01-06-2001 01:05 PM

But, as we all know, it's quite easy to avoid the Yoshimo betrayal if you want to. He makes a damn fine dual class fighter-bounty hunter as well. Great stats.

Aegis 01-06-2001 01:11 PM

Sorry but i have to disagree, Yoshimo sucks ass... he is so crap that Aerie can beat the shit out of him with her fists. And he is a traitor - he deserves to die!!

Aegis

Holy Mage Wah 01-06-2001 02:13 PM

Thanks a lot for ruining the plot for me. Never mind, I'm sure you was half as awake as any drunk kobold (only kidding!!) I haven't yet to finish the game with Yoshimo on my team, but now that you've pointed that out I guess there's no reason to.

G.W. 01-06-2001 02:27 PM

To save Yoshimo:
Leave him behind before chap 4. Pick him up after chap 4. Pause immediately when you enter the copper coronet. Click talk to him. Unpause, get him to join group. Resurrect.

G.W. 01-06-2001 02:32 PM

I still don't understand how these traps work. Do you set up a trap on someone who is already hostile? DO you sneak up to them and set the traps? How does it work?!

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-06-2001 02:55 PM

Best NPC award goes to......VALYGAR
thank you

Holy Mage Wah 01-06-2001 03:19 PM

Are you kidding??!! That man is as boring and sad as any loser. I prefer Jaheria over him, if not for her conversation alone - her AC is tops!!

Have you ever created a female character with VOICE NUMBER 1: you know, the scuffy hoarse one. She is totally funny!!! (and she's got 18 charisma in my party: even more LOL)

BLACK KNIGHT 01-06-2001 03:29 PM

You can try to set traps, but it is a lot more sucessful if you use traps to where creatures will appear (liches) or around other creatures that you know will turn hostile (Dragons). Plus many many many more I'm sure.

My Fav NPC has to be Anomen. After you get him to Knight Status and get him a deceit weapon, he really takes off. Good THAC0, Great Armor Class (-10), plus many heal spells.
Not the best fighter, but pound for pound, he has been my most important NPC.

BK

Ramon 01-06-2001 03:48 PM

Black Knight,

after your last post, take my advice: go looking for cover asap, before Armisael gets to see it, that is. Up to now, he has never failed to go after anyone who has dared to post anything pro-Anomen on this, his board. Hell,
I cannot blame him, Anomen's personality is most annoying. He is the only npc that had me on the verge of killing him. So obviously, I have not used him much, thus to be fair, I cannot say anything about his worth as combattant later on after gaining knighthood status.

Just a well-intended warning.

So long,

Ramon

BLACK KNIGHT 01-06-2001 04:07 PM

Ramon, thanks for the warning. Not that I am going to go hide or nothing, but I find that in my parties, I need big strong warriors up front to slash and kill, mages in the back to through spells, and clerics in between to heal everyone on sight. If I could do it, everyone in my party would have Cleric spells. And be strong enough to kick someone's butt, too. Here is my Party

Me (Paladin) 18/97
Minsc (Ranger) 18/00
Amonen (Knight with all his lovely spells) 18/52
Jahera (Druid) with Either a girdle or Gauntlets of Ogre Stength 19
Imoen (who has no spells has 18/00 with the opposite of Jahera
And I round out my party with the Aerial, the Mage/Cleric. Still looking to get her strength up.
Everyone plays the game differently, and I am sure that me thinking that Valygar wasn't good enough to be in my party will ruffled somebodies feathers. But that is just me. But without using cheats, my party is one of the strongest you will come accross (I am only in chapter 5, so if there are better strength items out there, I haven't seen them.

But thanks for the heads up!!

BK

el_kalkylus 01-06-2001 05:25 PM

I just finnished the game, and I have to say that Korgan should get the award. Without him, I would be dead long ago. He has 138 hitpoints and -7 in THACO, -11 in AC, 7/2 attacks, and resists most spells. I never played Yoshimo and haven't tried the trap-skill, but I hear e verywhere it is really good. To lay 10 traps however, doesn't that take a very long time to do? I mean don't you have to rest your party a lot of times?
I finnished the game in 28 days doing all the subquest I could find, (game time, and it is the first time I played it) is this good? and if it is, it's all because of Korgan.

NytesHalo 01-06-2001 05:45 PM

Yoshimo is good, though if you make your own bounty you don't need him anyway. I have to say that after having almost all the NPCs in my party save for a few like Anomen and Jan, I must say I like both when it comes to undead, I prefer Aerie and Viconia, plus having these two sets up sparks between them almost at the start. I love watching Viconia baiting the flighty elf, who is absolutely terrified of her. Viconia is great against undead. Give her the Amulet for level drain imunity, and have Minsc follow her around with Azureblade and the undead fall fast. Plus with the two clerics. Undead fall fast toturning, either feared, destroyed outright and allied. which is another easy way to kill them. If an undead gets charmed, keep in near Aerie and it will eventually blow up Wish I didn't have to have Anomen to get a romance plot. I couldn't stand his little arrogant voice even when he first spoke int he Coronet. They really needed to add more male one, like Haer'Dalis. Now THAT would have been interesting. That bard's tongue is definitely silver coated. As far as humor, minsc all the way, and coupled with Lilarcor to boot. Don't these two make a perfect match or what?

Memnoch 01-06-2001 11:09 PM

Black Knight, don't ever be afraid to express your opinion (even if you're obviously wrong!!!! ) just as long as you can back up your statement with some form of logic.

Archlich Azuth 01-06-2001 11:21 PM

the best is Areis.
1) she a mage cleric. not possable by evles.
2) give her the right equiment she hard as nails.
3) she pretty
4) she helps Minsc
5) i say so.

Bahamut 01-06-2001 11:49 PM

The best NPC is... Jaheira. Not because of power, but because of versatility. She is like the most flexible character. And with Yoshimo, there is something in the override folder containing his name. Can someone clarify to me that the file in the override folder is to kill Yoshimo beyond chapter 4 if he is not in your party?

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-06-2001 11:54 PM

To be honst valygar is not the best (he is good though if you would only give him a change )
Thge best is ORCOURSE
EDWIN
+2 memrizing that help a hole funking lot
plus he is a conjurer
on of the best classes availble

Memnoch 01-06-2001 11:55 PM

Agree with Bahamut about Jaheira. She can fight, heal, cast spells, and there's lots of dialogue with her. She's not one-dimensional.

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 12:02 AM

Jhariea is as useful as a wet tussie send her in to battle a deamon she be killed, her healing spell are weaker then other she can't even achive maxine spell level like aries or amonomomn (whatever) and all she does is complain that her husband dies, who she couldn't of really loved because she virtuly just stight in to bed with our charater. in fact i with draw my last post no charater is better then the others for with out the party they all fodder.

Bahamut 01-07-2001 12:04 AM

Edwin maybe the best MAGE. but not the best character. Jaheira can take on him anytime. I can also say Viconia because of her outrageous AC leaps... but she ain't good in her THAC0, at least not better than Jaheira's... but she is a good candidate. I would say Aerie too, but the level cap really limits her abilities. But if they do, I would have to say, she is better than any mage in the game.

Bahamut 01-07-2001 12:09 AM

What did I say before? Its not about power, Versatility. The flexibility of the character make her fit into any kind of party, plus, shes a neutral. VERY versatile

Memnoch 01-07-2001 12:16 AM

Archlich, you're probably not outfitting her right. With the right magic items most fighters can be buffed up. You can get Jaheira's AC down to -9 if you want to. And she can get the Spear of Impaling which gives you a bonus +10 damage. the edge jaheira has is that she can cast spells as well. u ever heard of the druid spell Insect Plague? and Iron Skins? And the most powerful healing spell, Heal, is level 6 which Jaheira can get up to.

Bahamut 01-07-2001 12:21 AM

Jaheira can have spells up to level 7. Never got her that low an AC though... And why when I put some stuff on Viconia, she gets down to an AC of -13?

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-07-2001 12:31 AM

hm correct me if i'm wrong but druis cleric and rogue
are caracter you need for other actions
they can never kill a mage maybe they can kill a warrior
most of the time
they can't even hit a mage
and mages can kill them in a second
remember with the cap remover and edwin at level 18
he gets 4 time stops
and 6 abi-dalzims horrid wiltings
if you give him both amulet of power as well as robe of vacna
hm
let see
4 time stops
you can cast 2 ADHW's per timestop
lets see timestop
lowerrestence*3=lower magic resistance by 88%
timestop
2ADHW
timestop
2ADHW
timestop
2ADHW
=
6*18d8
that ■■■■■■■ good
your little cleric is never gonna survive that

and memnoch why arn't you on msn?

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 12:33 AM

ok but what do you give the others i had her in Gorgan mail, with the shield of the fallen and balurs helm. and her spells like incest plauge were useless if not used on mages to prevent spell,because they do little damage and spell prptect stop them anyway. and for her to cast healing she couldn't fight. and iron skins was as use full cheese, it takes up space from healing spells at least with Areis you can use her celric spell to heal and her mage to attack.

Holy Mage Wah 01-07-2001 12:36 AM

Greeting Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here to present to you LIVE from The Royal Albert Hall here in London (England)...............the nominations for the best NPC awards!!!

(Loud cheers)

And the nominations are:

Aerie - "my wings have been clipped, if only you knew what it would be like to fly..."

Edwin - "Greetings, I am Edwin Odesseron, but you simians may merely refer to me as sir.."

Minsc - "Butt KICKING FOR GOOODNEEEESSS!!"

Jaheria - "Khal......khal...........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!"

and finally, Yoshimo - "I can dance on the head of a bin as well......"

The winner is............Jaheria, for her tanking AC, chatters of wisdom and spell casting.

Runners up are as follows:

2nd place is Aerie for her cute looks, pitiful speeches and healing/spell abilities.
3rd place is Edwin for superior spell casting.
4th place goes to minsc for his humour

Thank you and goodnight.........(loud cheers!!)

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 12:38 AM

rikard one protect from energy spell and your spell are useless. maybe you should think it thorgh next time i personly would cast time stop, morkis sword, balck dlade of dastier and tenser tranformation.

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-07-2001 12:42 AM

they said Edwin is thje best mage but not the best NPC
he is
only magic users can stop him
thus magic users are the best
and the best magic nps is edwin
thus Edwin is the best NPC

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-07-2001 12:43 AM

name one NPC better then edwin

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 12:45 AM

jan jansen

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 01:07 AM

let me more spefic. he'll senk up to Ewdin and shoot with a buriser buster mate stunning him he then use bolts of bitting to poision him and bolts of lighting to finish him off. and then he do a nice little dance of the body.

Yorick 01-07-2001 01:12 AM

__________________________________________________ _____________________
Originally posted by Turin_Mormegil:
"Atleast until he betrays you yoshi is a vert very useful little theif"
__________________________________________________ _____________________

When I first played the game some months ago, I read an unmarked spoiler about this that SPOILED MY GAME. I dropped him straight away and missed out on a cool plot development.

I had a flame msg written as reaction against this spoil (close to my heart as it was) and then luckily read some of the other messages including the apology, before I hit reply this topic.

BUT THE BASTARD THAT SPOILED ME NEVER APOLOGISED!!!! INCONSIDERATE SCUM THAT HE WAS!!!

Wye aye auda!

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-07-2001 01:12 AM

hm
maybe right with that
er..
wait
i got
something
ehm
he is small so he doesn't look that good????????

wait i got it
he is dutch (Jan)
so he doesnt count coz dutch people are to great to compare with regulair people
so edwin is the best

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 01:15 AM

if you don't mind me asking what is your obission whith Edwin it all most un healthy.

Was the Azuth joke in my name got by anyone?

Archlich Azuth 01-07-2001 01:19 AM

i could do the same with Imoen or Yomsomo but i used Jan because he a gnome and everybody under emisates them.

Rikard T'Aranaxz 01-07-2001 01:25 AM

What is my obsession with edwin?
he is the only real mage
that is my obsession with edwin

and he is cool
and he look better then most of the others
he's got that -what the ■■■■ do you want punk- look
i used his bg1 picture as portait and still do but now i change the tint by 180
so he's all blue now

Yorick 01-07-2001 01:25 AM

Azuth where are you from?