Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Linspire/Lindows? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91577)

Stormymystic 09-09-2004 02:38 PM

Quote:

Monitor: not inlcuded

Processor Type: Celeron

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Hard Drive Size: 80 GB Ultra ATA-100 hard drive

Operating System: Lindows OS 4.5 operating system

Processor Brand: Intel

System RAM: 256 MB

Hard Drive Speed (RPM): 7200 RPM

Multimedia Drive: 48x24x46/16x CD-RW/DVD combo drive

Frontside Bus: 533 MHz frontside bus

Network: Integrated 10/100 LAN/56kbps Fax Modem

Floppy Drive: 3.5-inch floppy drive

PCI Slots: 2

USB Type: USB 2.0

USB Ports: 4

Serial Ports: 1

Parallel Port: 1

Speakers: Yes

Audio Ports: Yes

3.5 Total Drive Bays: External 1

5.25 Total Drive Bays: External 2

AGP: 1 AGP 4x
would this be worth buying at $428.00? I know it has no moniter, but I have them, and know where I can get a good one, was just wondering if I should add this to my christmas list, lol

walmart.com

[ 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]

Jorath Calar 09-09-2004 03:32 PM

Well if you are wondering...

Quote:

LinspireTM is a full-featured operating system like Microsoft Windows XP or Apple Mac OSX. Linspire offers you the power, stability and cost-savings of Linux with the ease of a windows environment. In addition, Linspire features exclusive CNR technology that makes installing software on Linspire fast and easy -- simply find the software you want in the CNR Warehouse, then click and run it!
More here

I had a demo disk of it somewhere in my cd pile but never bothered trying it... so I can't really tell you what it's like... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stormymystic 09-09-2004 04:08 PM

well, I get the full version for free right now...so I guess i will let oyu know if it is any good :D and on that note...all members of Deviant art can get a full copy of linspire for free! check your inboxes for the info :D

philip 09-09-2004 04:17 PM

Linspire is linux. I haven't used it myself since it looks way too Windows-like. It can be a pretty different experience from windows though. It doesn't have to be harder necessarily but it will be different. If you want to change operating system and you think you like to find new things out (you could well be googling around a lot to get to know things a lot in linux) you might want to try. I do think they offer support (they damn well should if you pay for it ;) )

There's one big catch there. Make absolutely sure it'll run the games if you want to play Most games aren't made for linux and the solution to make them work seems quite complicated and not everything is supported. Also from what I hear is the best (and the only for that matter) software to run windows games in linux is not free, you have to pay monthly.

For the price, I don't know. I don't have much hardware knowledge and it's behind a year or something. I'd prefer putting everything together myself having better stuff for what I use more. I'd check what the exact stuff in there is. For the operating system I'd make sure you want to switch to something else as linux is different.

Check this site: http://www.linspire.com/ for some preview stuff and here's an excellent forum for asking questions about linux and they have a special linspire part: www.linuxquestions.org

The Fallen One 09-09-2004 05:17 PM

hmm...stormy, try to avoid a celeron and there are definately better linux distros than linspire that you can get for free. IMO that pc isnt that great of a deal. And one more thing, check out www.tigerdirect.com , better stuff there for a better price than that imo [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Stormymystic 09-09-2004 06:58 PM

I have a celeron in my comp right now, and is not to bad ;)

aleph_null1 09-09-2004 07:37 PM

I've got a Celeron myself, got it cheap a year ago & it's worked splendidly.

Personally, Stormy, I'd say go for it, for the processor alone. That you're getting a decent hard drive, some RAM, and a DVD player is just a bonus ;)

Stormymystic 09-09-2004 09:20 PM

that was my thoughts on it too, I am thinking that as soon as I can save the money, to buy one, and see, instead of installing this os on my comp here.

Hivetyrant 09-10-2004 08:06 AM

Wow, that deal sounds great I would say go for it, and I have been using a celeron for a loooong time, and it has been good so far...Yes Pentiums are better but it still not bad.

Harkoliar 09-10-2004 10:49 AM

celeron would run fine actually for games except for hardcore ones like halflife 2 and doom 3. anyway, like philip said, if you want a computer for gaming, lindows is not for you sadly. i remember that there is several ways for you to run games but its not made for easy programing. just warning ya.

also.. 256 ram?? you can upgrade that right?