Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   HD DVD is dead (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98714)

wellard 02-19-2008 08:24 AM

HD DVD is dead

It was the video wars all over again, the best marketing won despite not being the best quality.

BBC news -
Japanese electronics giant Toshiba has admitted it has lost the battle to shape the next generation of DVD technology.

The company says it is abandoning its high-definition format, HD DVD, handing control of the market over to the rival Sony model, Blu-Ray.

The announcement ends years of fierce competition between the two companies.

Sony was able to gain the upper hand in the DVD battle by winning the support of Hollywood studios and major retailers.

Curse Sony - and watch the price of ps3 go up :(

Spirits Reborn 02-19-2008 03:48 PM

Re: HD DVD is dead

I totally saw this coming (and just read it on lifehacker)

But eh, I mean. It was one or the other, and having used neither. I'm glad the one with the better name won :hehe:

comon, hd-dvd? Thats not creative at all! (its so... to the point)

while blueray?! What does that even have to do with dvds? anything media for the matter?

No contest.

[/sarcasm]

wellard 02-19-2008 04:29 PM

yep Spirits 'blue ray' was a cooler sounding name by far and people recognised the product straight away. I hope Toshiba have sacked their marketing managers

Gangrell 02-20-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirits Reborn (Post 1200580)
comon, hd-dvd? Thats not creative at all! (its so... to the point)

while blueray?! What does that even have to do with dvds? anything media for the matter?

No contest.

Too true, the public at large is normally too dumbfounded by abbreviations anyway.

Well, guess this means I'll be waiting 3 more years for my Ps3.

Jorath Calar 02-20-2008 06:14 AM

Hmm, doesn't Xbox 360 use HD-DVD... does that mean it's going to die too?

And I don't see how PS3's price could rise because of this, thought it was selling badly enough already... not that I'll ever get one :)

wellard 02-20-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorath Calar (Post 1200620)

And I don't see how PS3's price could rise because of this, thought it was selling badly enough already... not that I'll ever get one :)

I have read in many places that Sony are losing money on every PS3 they sell - a pay off for being able to milk the money from blue ray products later. If true there is now no reason for Sony to keep losing money on the product.

Larry_OHF 02-20-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellard (Post 1200564)
The best marketing won despite not being the best quality.

<font color=skyblue>From my own studies of the two formats, I agree.

I thought HD-DVD actually had a better quality and was somewhat cheaper in cost.

The only reason BluRay won was marketing. I am sure of it. Makes since to me as a former Circuit City employee and what I saw from the vendor's side of things.</font>

wellard 02-20-2008 10:56 PM

I agree Larry, all the independent tests showed HD DVD to be better *sigh*

Spirits Reborn 02-20-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorath Calar (Post 1200620)

Nah, the xbox 360 has a hd-dvd addon, I don't think its naturally with hd-dvd.

So i guess microsoft made a smart choice not betting their console on Hd-dvd. lol :hehe:

So I don't think circle box (get it? 360?) is going to die yet.

And microsoft's actually making some good games for it (rpg wise). So circle box might just live.

Firestormalpha 02-20-2008 11:21 PM

What would the world be like if Beta won against the VHS, or if 8-trax overtook casettes?