Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Food glorious food! (help required *grin*) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97332)

Ivelliis 04-28-2007 05:35 PM

Righteo.

I eat rubbish. If it isn't chips, it's pizza, maybe I get one fruit/veg a day (with the only day being sunday where I get the required 5) and it needs to change.

Now, in biology I never listened to the balanced diet topic we did, so I know the food groups but not what I should/shouldn't eat.

Basically the plan in this is to get in better shape than I am. I'm a fit lad, but I can't last 90mins on the football pitch, and with my select body size I'm not the strongest if I get shoulder-barged unexpected, and this needs to change before next season.

I set out a list/rota/series of exercises which I'll stick too, but I'd rather have the healthy eating side of things up to scratch too.

Ideas? Recipes? Opinions what I should/shouldn't eat, what I should eat in consideration (I dispise rabbit food btw, but will eat it if I have to :/)

Gabrielles blades 04-28-2007 08:14 PM

60% carbs, 20% protien/fat will provide al of the energy you need.
Suggested ways of obtaining this:
Sandwiches with lean meats and mustard.
Pasta with red sauce & shrimp
chinese food, emphasis on the rice though.

plenty of other things to eat of course, but since you despise rabbit food it limits your choices a lot....are you sure you despise it? maybe you just havent had it cooked in a way that you would like it?

Eat: only an amount of calories that you need & no more regardless of what your eating - too much of good things is a bad thing.

Dont eat: processed foods or things high in sugar

Of course moderation is good though so if you do splurge to ease your craving of something make sure you dont go overboard.

Ivelliis 04-29-2007 05:23 AM

Well it tastes like, well, not my cuppa tea. I mean Traditional English Sunday Dinner, I'll eat my veg, but I couldn't sit and eat a salad. :/

Bithron 04-29-2007 05:48 AM

I also have a question: Where can you get a lot of protein? I don't eat eggs and I rarely eat meat...

Ivelliis 04-29-2007 06:02 AM

Fish is a good source of protein IIRC.

Bithron 04-29-2007 06:26 AM

Oh, I forgot to say that I don't eat fish either... Well, except for the fish liver oil. (translation?)

Felix The Assassin 04-29-2007 10:13 AM

<font color=8fbc8f>If you are hammering it hard during Spring 'soccer' training you can go over on your daily limit. However, once you slow down, your intake must slow down as well. If you are wanting to add mass to your frame, increase your protein intake during training.

To add muscle mass: During the off season add weight training to your routine. You do not need to spend hours doing this. For a soccer player you need leg strength, and chest shoulder strength. Therefore, work those areas; 3/4 squats, leg extensions, calf curls. Shoulder/military press, bench press, lat pull downs, basic arm curl. This will increase your mass and allow you to handle those shoulder-check-ups.

Add fish/seafood to your diet. Add more white meat and less red meat during the off season. Red meat has more protein, and some other minerals that have yet to be fully exploited. Red meat seems to actually slow down your metabolism, as well as cause an overreaction to storing the excess fat, all the while slowing the body functions down.

Veggies: Peas, beans, etc lots of them. Try 'Chick-Peas', or snow-peas. Add more true fruit to your diet, apples, pears, etc. Don't overlook the benefits of raw carrots either. Try steaming your veggies, and adding a full flavored spritzing of "Mrs. Dash or similar product. Salads? Bah. Add chicken or tuna, lots of tomatoes, radish, and mix with a light or none at all dressing, again thou, Mrs. Dash will add a bit.

Add pure water to your intake, and less soda. Pizza once a week is fine, chips and such in moderation are fine as well, just keep in mind that the more of these you intake, the harder you will have to put out in training. One normal scoop of plain vanilla ice cream for dessert will add wonders to your diet and your taste buds, and not hinder your body molding routine.</font>

Nightwing 04-30-2007 09:21 AM

the 60% 20/20 rule is what you want to strive for. Stay away from simple carbs like white rice or any breads that have enriched flour. Whole grains are the best source of carbs for your body they last longer and won't turn to sugar and stored fat. For other sources of protein have some almonds and soy nuts on hand they are a great source. Find veggies and fruit you like raw and make a salad every day with them. Sugar snap peas, cauliflower, black beans, carrots, mandarine oranges, slivered almonds, cheese and spinach make a tasty salad, add some turkey or seafood if you can. There are a lot of convience items that have your meat cut and cooked for you all you have to do is open the package. Chicken, fish, beef, turkey, ham. To help get more veggies drink a low sodium V-8 juice in between meals and check out the Kashi displays at your markets they are whole grains with good fiber and protein. You should learn to eat a little meat maybe 4-6 oz a day. It is such a complete protein a little goes a long way. Stay away from un-natural sugars like corn syrup. Really read your ingrediant statements well. Only use whole grain pasta. you will find by eating more natural, whole grains, and 6-8 servings of fruits and veggies will give you more energy. Black beans are an excellent source of protein and calories mixed with corn, red and green bells and feta cheese with red onions gives you a salsa to put on anything or heat up as a side dish.

Bithron 04-30-2007 11:14 AM

I'll thank for the advice that you gave me. Good thing that I don't have to change my eating habits too much! :D