Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   To all Aussies out there ... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83531)

Night Stalker 01-10-2003 02:28 PM

How did Austrailia get the nick "Oz"? I know that there are many unique animal species there - 'roos, wombats, kolas ect. But do you have winged monkeys? Are there an abundance of Munchkins (I'm sorry, Little People)? I didn't think the Aborigonies were all that short. Is Sydney really made of Emeralds? Does your Prime Minister(President or whatever the country leader is) run the country from behind a curtain? And is there Portal to get me there from Kansas? Cuz I'ld like to visit, but the plane ride the KC is MUCH cheaper than the 22+ hour flight to Sydney.

I poke fun, but I'm really curious. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Nor actually trying to be insulting.

[ 01-10-2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Night Stalker ]

Yorick 01-10-2003 02:30 PM

Phonetics.

Oz-stralia.

Night Stalker 01-10-2003 02:46 PM

Oh

Makes sense. Thanx!

'Course we tend to pronounce it Awe - strailia. Then again, Brits don't think we speak English in America. Southerners don't at any rate. [img]tongue.gif[/img] And those from Newark and Camden, New Joizee DEFINATLY don't! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Aelia Jusa 01-10-2003 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Night Stalker:

'Course we tend to pronounce it Awe - strailia.

That's okay. Lots of aussies pronounce it Astraya ;)

Leonis 01-10-2003 05:13 PM

But yes, we do have winged monkeys. And drop bears....

Lanesra 01-10-2003 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Night Stalker:
How did Austrailia get the nick "Oz"? I know that there are many unique animal species there - 'roos, wombats, kolas ect. But do you have winged monkeys? Are there an abundance of Munchkins (I'm sorry, Little People)? I didn't think the Aborigonies were all that short. Is Sydney really made of Emeralds? Does your Prime Minister(President or whatever the country leader is) run the country from behind a curtain? And is there Portal to get me there from Kansas? Cuz I'ld like to visit, but the plane ride the KC is MUCH cheaper than the 22+ hour flight to Sydney.

I poke fun, but I'm really curious. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Nor actually trying to be insulting.

No the prime minister dosen't run the country, the queen does that from Great britain. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-10-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]

Night Stalker 01-10-2003 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis:
But are your bears armed like ours are?

And you do have the winged monkeys?!? Does that mean there's a portal in Kansas too? (pleasepleaseplease)

GokuZool 01-10-2003 07:13 PM

We don't have bears but many people call the Koala a bear even though its not.

Slizerio 01-10-2003 07:24 PM

Yes we do have an abundance of munchkins. And we do have a wicked witch. Only we call her "Nicole Kidman".

Davros 01-11-2003 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis:
Of course - the drop bears - that brings back memories of us as kids - staring intently up at the top of coconut palms - dashing from open space to open space - warning tourists of the dangers and how to take proper precautions.

That Bundy ad with the drop bear really cracks me up every time I see it ;) .

And we didn't have any winged monkeys were I can from - but we surehad many flying foxes :D .

And Lanesra, as usual, has his facts all about face [img]smile.gif[/img] - the Queen has a lot of respect and is the titular head of state, but she does not run the country.

Amd why OZ - well the abbreviation for Australian is Aussie (pronounced Ozzie), so the Land of Oz is a logical extension.