Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Should women be banned from men's football? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92554)

wellard 12-20-2004 07:59 AM

Should women be banned from men's football?

The world football governing body, Fifa, has ruled that a leading female Mexican footballer should not be allowed to play for a professional men's club. Maribel Dominguez had signed for the Mexican second-division club Celaya which would have been a first for football in North and Central America.

However, the Fifa executive committee has said that the division between men and women in the sport should be maintained. Do you agree with the Fifa ruling? Should women be barred from playing men's football?

Of course there is an argument that it would then allow men to play for the womens teams. How can you ban one and allow the other?

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 12-20-2004 08:03 AM

That's a really tough one. If it's good for Football (soccer) then it's good for anything else as well. I've argued for years that women should be equal to men in golf. But, would they fair poorly and drop out all together?

Vaskez 12-20-2004 08:03 AM

I dunno, the whole quest for equality thing is kinda silly where phsyical things are concerned. Where physical differences between the genders are relevant, they should stop trying to be equal and instead emphasise the different skills of the genders. Men will always be stronger and faster, women will always be more flexible and more elegant, just accept it and move on and concentrate on the sports that those traits allow. So I don't think women and men should play professional football together because of the unfair physical differences (in general, obviously there will be some women stronger and faster than some men etc.).

[ 12-20-2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]

Stratos 12-20-2004 08:13 AM

Men are on average physically stronger than women, so I don't think women would fare well in mixed teams. Football can be a rough sport, and I wonder what a man would do if he faced a female opponent. Now, female football players are not wimps, but can they really play alongside men and not be treated different than male players?

Callum 12-20-2004 08:14 AM

I don't think it should be allowed. If you allow women to play men's football, then you can't really stop men playing women's football, and then there will be no women left in the game... or only a very few...

Thoran 12-20-2004 10:49 AM

Very similar to the golf debate. Personally I think the gender division protects both men's and women's professional sports. If you eliminate that division you'll end up with a few top women perhaps breaking into mens professional sports, but you'll also get thousands of men who aren't quite good enough for mens teams clogging up the womens teams and reducing the number of women who are able to compete professionally.

lol... or what Callum said (he beat me to the post. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[ 12-20-2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]

Sigmar 12-20-2004 10:51 AM

No, I think you should be allowed to play "big-time" regardless of your gender.

Hell, if you're good enough, and perhaps even better than other players why the hell not?!

The best should be playing.

Lavindathar 12-20-2004 10:54 AM

<font color="cyan">Being a big football fan, I'd have to say no. Mainly, because women wouldn't be able to hack it. This isn't a sexist comment, but it would ruin the game far too much.

I don't know how you Americans play football, but I know the standard is no where near what the English Premier league is. Now, some women may possibly be just as good as the males in technical football ability, but, a male would not be able to play football properly against a female. He just wouldnt be able to tackle a female, as if he seriously hurt her, which is probable, imagine the media response.

In the English league, things get fairly rough and tempers fly, there is fighting, etc, and a man would just not be able to play properly knowing its a women on the recieving end of a Vinnie Jones diving headbutt. (just kiddin).

But, anyway, no. They may be good enough, but just down to the physical side, it would ruin the game.

Stick to the womens league, as I personally believe this can be quite enjoyable.</font>

[ 12-20-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

Xen 12-20-2004 11:02 AM

I think that they should be allowed to play. Everyone has the right to do it. Let them play. But on the other (and more realistic side) it wouldn't be wise. Men are naturally more stronger and agile, (not necessarily faster). It would be really bad if some guy would tackle a woman from behind and she would get injured. It probably would be a media story. And some men wouldn't be concentrated on the game but on something else.
But as I said: if they have a wish, let them play. In the end, they must be prepared to suffer any conequences or injuries. (If any are inflicted during the match)
Something else has come to mind: what would happen if they are to go showering together after the match? :D

Sigmar 12-20-2004 11:05 AM

Hmm...good point Lavindathar, I didn't see that side of the argument before.