Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why does my cursor keep moving when I am typing on my netbook? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101993)

Ladyzekke 05-20-2011 09:53 PM

Why does my cursor keep moving when I am typing on my netbook?

I swear I try to keep my hands/wrists off of the touch pad, and have a wireless mouse I mostly use on my netbook. But when I am typing (like here, on forums, Facebook, etc.), the cursor will jump to another part of the text I have already typed, so I end up getting letters I have to delete, then have to put the cursor back to the end of my text where I want to continue my sentence. Never had this problem anywhere cept on my netbook. I also have tried clicking in the text box to first put the cursor there before I start typing, then move it away from the text box, then type, still doesn't fix it. I've gotten to where I am using the ipad more and more when I want to type stuff online, although it takes longer cause I tend to hunt and peck on the ipad.

Anyone have any ideas why the netbooks do this?

SpiritWarrior 05-20-2011 11:48 PM

Re: Why does my cursor keep moving when I am typing on my netbook?

Disable the touchpad completely and start typing using tab for long enough to see if the issue remains. This will eliminate the touchpad as a clulprit once and for all. Until then, people will constantly suggest this as the reason. It is actually quite common. Even though you are not touching it, some pads are hypersensitve...you could breathe near them and they will respond. I had a client with this issue - we disabled it, reset/recalibrated it in Control Panel, and it was fixed. Was a netbook too, windows XP or Vista.

Anyways, once you troubleshoot it with the touchpad completely disabled, if it then keeps occuring we then know it is a less obvious issue.

P.S. Many can be disabled via a button right next to it, others you have to disable it in settings or via Control Panel.

Bungleau 05-23-2011 02:58 PM

I concur with SW. Some touchpads are hyper-sensitive... your sleeve touching it might be enough to set it off (and then set you off ;) ).

Olorin 05-24-2011 12:29 PM

I've had touchpads that responded to the PROXIMITY of my hand (probably overly sensitive to static electricity). The worst one I had though would work fine while I was touching it, then when I pulled my finger off the pad, the cursor would jump 1/2 to 3/4 of the screen. Supremely annoying.

If disabling the touchpad doesn't work, try disabling the wireless mouse. There's a slight chance you're getting interference from another wireless/bluetooth device (neighbor's mouse?), but my money's on the touchpad.

Ladyzekke 05-27-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks, I have disabled the pad (chose the option to disable when the mouse is plugged in). I also had this problem before I got the mouse. I ended up actually getting the mouse because the touchpad also was clicking on thing like banner ads if I just hovered the cursor over it for a second! Talk about annoying!

Anyway, so far while I am typing this I have not had any cursor jumping, so maybe it worked, yay! I will know for sure when I type on facebook, which it did rampantly there. On facebook not only did the cursor jump, but when replying to a personal message it would just bump me out of the message altogether and I'd have to start all over again! No idea why they would make the touchpads so sensitive, there is no way you can type on a small netbook without your wrist being near it.

Again, thank you for the info - you saved me a lot of frustration! :)

SpiritWarrior 05-28-2011 01:28 PM

Yeah just get a USB mouse for your lappy either ways - that's what I always do. You can even get mini ones that fit into or unto your lappy. And a basic USB mouse costs around $10-15, not bad.

For me, whether the touchpad works fine or not, it is still an annoyingly time-consuming device that I always disable as a general rule while I opt for the mouse. Really, the only reason to ever use it, is if you are mobile and have no access to a surface that can sport a mouse. Like in a car or a plane. Even then, I will try to use my mouse if the seat next to me is free. I can just get things done faster. I find that navigating facebook and menial things like double-clicking take way more time using a pad.

Ladyzekke 05-28-2011 08:46 PM

Yep I have a wireless mouse on the netbook. I also much prefer to use a mouse. Much easier to move the cursor around rather than scooting your finger on the stupid pad. Not to mention if your fingers are even a little sweaty it is harder to use the pad. And I never need to use my netbook anywhere but at home, so I always have a surface. I figure if I ever need to get on the net away from home, that is what my phone and ipad are for.

Anyway, I can definitely confirm now that the problem is fixed now that I have disabled the pad of annoyance LOL. Haven't had one instance of cursor skipping! :)

Sazerac 05-30-2011 09:09 AM

LadyZ, I was having the same problem with one of the laptops in my training class this past week. I had no idea why the cursor kept leaping up to odd fields when I was trying to type in areas for our training exercises (especially when you're typing in a Cognos SQL command in an expression line and all of a sudden the bally thing leaps on you). I'd be willing to bet money it was the crappy touchpad. I know everyone was wondering why I kept muttering "Sonofa..." and "pain in the rumpus" sporadically during the exercises.

I'm fortunate my new Lenovo's touchpad isn't that sensitive; I can work directly on it without any interference. If I need to use it it works fine but it does need a little more pressure than your wrists barely grazing it. However, I'm glad to know it can be disabled if needed.