Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gay/Lesbian Awareness Day??? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91859)

Larry_OHF 10-08-2004 09:02 AM

<font color=skyblue>Did anyone in the U.S. know that today, homosexuals are recommended to call in sick to work today, as well as print a receipt off from their ATM (masking out the acct. #), and send it to...somebody in the state...I don't know who...

all in an order to force recognition.

In other words, anybody that calls in sick to work today will automatically be assumed homosexual by their bosses or at very least faking sick for the cause.

I can see problems with anyone who really is sick today, trying to convince their boss that they really did need to be off. I remember in school we had Senior layout day where al seniors were supposed to stay home all day. Of course it was counted as an unexcused absence, but to the seniors that wanted to go to school and were really sick, they had a tougher time convincing the teacher that they deserved an excused absence.

Well, anyway, what do you guys think? Don't this sound like one of those e-mail things that go around everytime gas prices go up and then you get an e-mail stating that on such and such day, nobody in the cuontry should buy gas to show the economy that we won't stand for it.

How many people actually do that stuff? How effective is it?</font>

[ 10-08-2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Hivetyrant 10-08-2004 09:22 AM

Well I dont think anything like that is going to cause recognition in anyone except a few angry bosses, and I agree, I fell sorry for the sick people who are going to get some strange looks when they go back to work :D

Arvon 10-08-2004 10:00 AM

I wonder what would happen if someone called for a Straight Reconsign Day?

Dron_Cah 10-08-2004 10:06 AM

Well, Arvon, I think Sanfransisco could prolly runs as normal. :D ;)

Illumina Drathiran'ar 10-08-2004 11:08 AM

Stole my post, dear Larry.

In theory, it's supposed to demonstrate the buying power of the GLBT community and its allies. It *is* an official thing. The question is simply how many people will do it. At my campus none in my circle will be shopping today.

And it's not awareness day, it's a boycott... October is GLBT History/Awareness Month. October 11th is National Coming Out Day, and October 12th is Matthew Shepard Day.

Klorox 10-08-2004 11:22 AM

This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

What good does it do not to shop and to call in sick?

Gangrell 10-08-2004 11:38 AM

Why is it being homosexual is such a big thing? If you are, then you are, skipping out on work won't do anything except make a decline in your paycheck.

[ 10-08-2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]

Ilander 10-08-2004 01:22 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept here. Homosexuality IS a big thing in the world today, Gangrell, because, quite honestly, many of the more conservative places in the world are now having to see in right in front of their faces---which of course leads to the power struggle that we see so much nearly every day.

It's just a shame that the entire world cannot accept the reality, because if they did, then the "awareness month" thing would indeed be unecessary.

Stratos 10-08-2004 01:32 PM

Darn convenient to have it on a Friday. Makes the weekend longer for homosexuals. :rolleyes:

Gangrell 10-08-2004 01:36 PM

Well, my standpoint of it is, if thats who you are, then thats you, if someone has something to say about it, that's their problem. It's not an uncommon thing down here in southern Indy, so I'm not bothered at all by them. But my point is if you were going to have an awareness day, wouldn't it make more sense to have something community related instead of skipping out on work?