Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Verto GeForce FX question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88699)

SpiritWarrior 12-07-2003 08:04 PM

The "Verto GeForce FX 5200 128 MB AGP" is what It's called. I have found some sites referring to it with "Ultra" added on the end, is there actually a different model, like a regular model (non ultra with lower specs & performance) or are they both the same thing?

Searching Nvidias site, from what I can see they only stock the "Ultras".

Larry_OHF 12-07-2003 08:56 PM

<font color=skyblue>If you are in the market for video cards, I was told by a sales guy at Intrex that if I was to wait until Half-Life 2 gets released next year...that card prices will go down because alot of people will be in the market to buy them at that time. I am wanting the 5900 of course, but it is currently $400. I guess I could settle for the 5700 which I am told compares to the Radeon's top of the line...though I am also told that while the NVidia runs faster, the Radeon has a prettier picture. Ahhh,....to many choices in the world to make...and I do not even have a job anymore!

Now...about the Ultra vs. the Not-Ultra...

I did a search on Circuit City's website and found the listing for their cards. They have two versions of the 5200. PNY's Verto and another brand name called XFX. The XFX was $10 cheaper than the Verto. Neither said Ultra in the label. I also found PNY's 5700...and it DOES say Ultra on it's box...though the PNY 5900 does not. </font>

SpiritWarrior 12-07-2003 09:06 PM

I guess It's safe to say they're one of the same then? I was looking for a quick upgrade for my old geforce 2 mx on my other system so opted for the 5200 since all I use it for is NWN's (when my primary computer is being used for sommat else) and plus it was dirt cheap so I bought it since I can't afford anything very high-end right now. What card do you use right now for NWN's, Larry? (poll anyone? :D )

After the horror stories about ATI's I'd never buy one lol - they tend to be generally incompat. with alot of games from what I have seen and heard.

Larry_OHF 12-07-2003 09:38 PM

<font color=skyblue>I have the Nvidia GeForce 3, Ti200. It was just barely above $100 when I bought it last year. It can play DVD Movies with no problem, but some of the games coming out soon make me wanna freaking buy FX5900. I gotta have one! Arrhh!</font>

If you are concerned about the "Ultra" title, then I would suggest you buy it if you are worried...but I am pretty sure that the "Ultra" is just a marketing word. It does not mean much to me. If you have dobt, but the more expensive of the two or something. hell...ANYTHING will be an upgrade from a MX version.</font>

SpiritWarrior 12-07-2003 09:42 PM

Yah I just bought the upgrade 2 days ago so should get it tomorrow. I do agree Ultra seems to be a marketing word from the searches I have done. Thanks Larry!

Bahamut 12-07-2003 10:59 PM

Ho there...

An FX 5200 ultra can somewhat rival a 5600... well something to that extent... ;)

Ultra of course should have an added kick... but I guess it wouldn't be a killer... the vital part is to have the memory of the card to the max... like 256 MB :D

Larry_OHF 12-07-2003 11:15 PM

<font color=skyblue>Well, it is certianly nice enough for Nvidia to not let us know the specifics of their stuff if they wanna sell it. Per my posts, I found nothing about an Ultra with two name brands of the same card. The only Ultra that appeared was in the 5700. The website of the card suggests that the cards' names are 5200, 5700, and 5900...all Ultra...nothing without the Ultra name.

Why do they punish us so with so many marketing ploys?</font>

Jim 12-09-2003 06:19 AM

I agree Larry, that there is far too much "Marketing" going on at the moment, with the primary objective of confusing the end user with terms like "Ultra" "XT" "PRO" "SE" etc, which is totally uninformative to new users within this area.

Sadly, there is a 5200, and a 5200 Ultra (as is the case with all of the FX series), with the Ultra providing substantial speed benefits. In the case of the 5200, the standard variant has a 250MHz core and 400MHz memory, where as the Ultra variant has a 325MHz core and 650MHz memory. The Ultra therefore has superior memory bandwidth (thus will handle higher resolutions much better), and around a 23% faster core speed.

Quote:

I guess I could settle for the 5700 which I am told compares to the Radeon's top of the line...
Sadly Larry, whoever told you this has certainly been misinformed. The 5700 series are Nvidia's best middle of the range cards, performing better than the 9600/FX5600 series, but can in no way match the 9800 PRO/XT cards (currently, top of the ATI line).

ATI's game incompatibility's are however, a thing of the past, since the "Catalyst" driver suits are now very stable.

That NWN poll on which 3D Accelerators people use is a good idea SpiritWarrior. Would be good to find out what most people are running here at IW.

Bahamut 12-09-2003 07:56 AM

there is the FX 5950 Ultra... don't bother asking the price... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Larry_OHF 12-09-2003 08:05 AM

<font color=skyblue>Well I have to ask...if the 5900 is $400, what is the 5950 Ultra's price? Tell me now! I must know!</font>