Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   downloadable D&D Manuals? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88271)

cav_again 10-26-2003 12:36 PM

I used to have a couple of these in PDF format (like the Guide to Paladins and a couple others), but I had to format and now I can't find where I got them from.

does anybody know any sites where I can download these?

thanks

Gangrell 10-26-2003 01:09 PM

What D&D manuals are you looking for?

RoSs_bg2_rox 10-26-2003 01:17 PM

a search on google would probably turn something up

Grojlach 10-26-2003 01:18 PM

If this is about official TSR-manuals, I doubt it's legal to download any of them online...

RoSs_bg2_rox 10-26-2003 01:22 PM

you can certainly legally download some, I've done it before

Gangrell 10-26-2003 01:29 PM

It is legal, and I know a website that you can download from, it circles around 3rd edition (or 3.5) core rule books and manuals.

philip 10-26-2003 01:44 PM

Do you mean the 1st edition (maybe there are downlaods on second as well but i'm not so sure) books. check wizards site

pdfs for new books (3rd and 3.5) are just errata and the basic upgrades from 3rd to 3.5 edition (i mean basic as in nice to read but you can barely play with it unless someone has the real book). Unless you mean these pdf's it is illegal to download any of the whole books (especially the newest editions)

SpiritWarrior 10-26-2003 02:36 PM

It's not legal AFAIK, they're all copywritten. The site at WOTC is simply a list of errata to upgrade to 3.5. I think the full manuals need to be bought rather than downloaded. Although I have seen a site which has access to all the manuals...someone linked me to it before and they explained that it was perfectly legal. Can anyone settle this for future referance?

[ 10-26-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]

philip 10-26-2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
It's not legal AFAIK, they're all copywritten. The site at WOTC is simply a list of errata to upgrade to 3.5. I think the full manuals need to be bought rather than downloaded. Although I have seen a site which has access to all the manuals...someone linked me to it before and they explained that it was perfectly legal. Can anyone settle this for future referance?
i don't think it's legal, unless that site happens to be a russian or other eastern european sites where copyright laws are different. though i still think it's illegal in the rest of the world.

there are 1st edition manuals for download on the wizards site but i don't think many people play/start to play that. iirc the name of the book cav_again mentioned sounded like a 1st edition book, that's why i mentioned it.

Night Stalker 10-26-2003 04:10 PM

No, downloading any copyrighted material that is in print is not legal. Unless material has specifically been released into the public domain, you cannot download it for free.

WotC periodically releases old out of print TSR stuff for public download at their site. None of it is commercially viable though. They do it for sentimental value. Commercially viable "old stuff" they re-release and sell it again.

Any other site besides WotC that you find offering free downloads of TSR material is a warrez site and Ziroc has explicitly stated that such topics are not open for discussion on IW (see Rules&Regs). ;)