Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone brew their own beer/wine? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99639)

Beaumanoir 08-22-2008 08:09 PM

Does anyone brew their own beer/wine?

Well, I just started today, and all was going well until, now, in my paranoid ways, I'm getting worried.

I added the yeast into my grape mixture and... nada. I don't seem to be getting any CO2 bubbles to indicate fermentation. I was told this would happen quite quickly... but 15 minutes later, and not a single bubble. I've used a seal AND petroleum jelly to ensure a airtight lock, but nothing. How long does this usually take to kick off? And if so, what'm I doing wrong?

Beaumanoir 08-22-2008 08:16 PM

Re: Does anyone brew their own beer/wine?

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I mean... IT'S FERMENTING!!!!

(Excuse me... It was just paranoia, the CO2 pressure just had to build before it'd bubble.)

But anyway, out of curiousity, does anyone do this?

Firestormalpha 08-22-2008 08:21 PM

Not myself, but my brother had started to brew some of his own mead before moving. I'll have to ask him if it survived the move.

Lavindathar 08-22-2008 09:55 PM

<font color="cyan">And it began....</font>

Beaumanoir 08-22-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavindathar (Post 1213545)
<font color="cyan">And it began....</font>

Too right. Give me two weeks and this baby might be drinkable. I'd give it a month until it'd be... 'good'.

Ilander 08-23-2008 01:06 AM

I intend to try it at some point, but, I've never done it, or tried the product...

johnny 08-23-2008 04:56 AM

nah...i only drink it. :D and btw...this topic makes me thirsty.

Stratos 08-23-2008 07:45 AM

My dad brewed his own wine once. Tasted like sh*t.

toot033 08-23-2008 09:07 AM

I used to home brew a lot ( as well as I brew beer professionally)
Your fermentation is dependent on few basic things, sugar temp and time. Seeing that you just pitched ( added the yeast) and there is more than enough sugar ( not converted to alcohol yet) it should take ~ 2 days before you see bubbles . Don't be surprised if something is floating ( beer and beer yeast is my strong suit, not wine) because different yeast strains act differently ( lager yeast sink, ale yeast float). It will take ~2 day because the yeast is starting to grow to a concentration ( exponential growth) and after that point you should see something. Did you aerate your must? Air at the initial fill will also help the yeast grow at a more vigorous rate during their initial growth phase ( but air at the end is bad! Ever taste a papery off note in beer, that is because air has been accidentally introduced somewhere after fermentation prior to packaging) so be careful after fermentation not to introduce air. Also at that point you should be concerned about any microbial contamination. Your local home brew store should have some sterilization supplies or just use some bleach( 1 -2 oz per 5 gallons) in water and rinse everything VERY well. A good portion of off flavors after fermentation are microbial in nature ( wild yeast lactic acid bacteria etc.) If you have to start a siphon rinse your mouth out with some 150 rum or Listerine.
Also let it age a little. Why do you think people go gaga over a 50+ year bottle of wine. Letting it age in will cut some of the harsh flavors a bit.
But just relax and enjoy.. What a better way to learn from your mistakes!

toot033 08-23-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny (Post 1213561)
nah...i only drink it. :D and btw...this topic makes me thirsty.

What doesn't make you Thirsty?