Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Installation problems (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4108)

Szass-Tam 10-22-2005 07:32 AM

I have had BG1 for about 6 years and played it many times, however, when I decided to re-install it for the first time in several years on my XP system, I get the following message after clicking install:

Can't run 16-bit Windows program
Insufficient memory to run this application. Quit one or more Windows applications and then try again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

RoSs_bg2_rox 10-22-2005 08:09 AM

Well, the second bit is telling you that you don't have enough virtual memory / RAM to run BG, so therefore you must have a lot of programs running, so close a couple down then try again. Try this first, as it might be the key, however I still have doubts as to whether it will work because of the
Quote:

Can't run 16-bit Windows program

Szass-Tam 10-22-2005 09:05 AM

No, I can't believe that RAM is the problem either, all things considered. Oh well, I don't think this problem is fixable.

[ 10-22-2005, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Szass-Tam ]

ElfBane 10-22-2005 12:00 PM

Well,,,I've been playing BG1 on an XP system for over a year now. And when I installed it,,it just loaded right up. I didn't need to do the "compatibility" fix at all. *However*....my version is the 'Original Saga' edition which comes on only 3 disks and already has the expansion embedded.
Don't give up, you should be able to get it to run unless your disks have become damaged.

Khayne 10-22-2005 01:01 PM

I have the original game (5 disc + 1 exp disc) on a XP system and mine installed fine. It sounds like a program is conflicting with you. How much memory do you have and what is running in the background?What video card do you use also?

[ 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Khayne ]

Szass-Tam 10-22-2005 06:58 PM

I have exactly the same edition of the game Khayne also on an XP system. I have a 64 MB graphics card and 256 MB RAM, so I doubt any of that is a problem.
I've cut off all backround programs and still no luck. It may well just be disc damsge, in which case there's no solution.

shamrock_uk 10-22-2005 07:36 PM

I couldn't get it running in WinXP either. BGTutu is your friend here [img]smile.gif[/img]

Khayne 10-22-2005 09:38 PM

Home Ed. or prof. ed.? Try and update it.

CerebroDragon 10-23-2005 01:14 AM

This is very strange, all of these XP problems. I just recently did an OS upgrade from Win98 SE straight over the top to XP Professional with the classic 98 interface. I expected to have problems with my latest BG games, which had been installed and run under Win98, however so far things are running just fine. Fingers crossed of course. ;)

I'm not overly skilled with XP, but there's still possible solutions for you, surely.
Perhaps the solution is upgrading again to Prof (if not already) or you could also try changing the baldurs exe file's compatibility in the properties tag, to that of a win95 file.
As a last resort, is to build a much cheaper computer for retro-ish gaming. I have a dx4-100 for whenever problems like this crop up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Otherwise, try searching more forums for other instances of the problem. The Bioware forums would be a good start.

Cheers,
CerebroDragon

Szass-Tam 10-23-2005 06:47 AM

Thanks for all your help, however, I can't install Tutu or change the executable's compatability, because the game isn't installed yet. Also, when I try to run things on the disc like setup, I get the same error.