Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How can being "Liberal" be anti-patriotic? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75980)

Night Stalker 07-15-2003 09:36 PM

Now, as you good people are well aware, I am by no means a "bleeding heart" liberal. But how does anti-war, liberalism or whatever equate to anti-patriotic? Or worse Treason?

This is an excerpt from an interview with Anne Coulter on her latest book Treason.

Treason is a very specific charge. It does not include civil disobedience or exercising 1<sup>st</sup> Ammendment rights. It does include espoinage and activily working with declared enemies (what was that kids name, Mark - John or something ... the "American Taliban"?), but not voicing opinions or internal political activism.

Indemaijinj 07-15-2003 10:29 PM

Before anyone goes on an anti-government rant, let's cool down a little.

This book does not represent any official stances or policies. They are the words of one single rabble-rouser.

Still I find some of her points rather troublesome:

Firstly she seems to think that being against their own country is a plausible enough motivation for a rather large segment of the american political establishment. This is just plain stupid. Even the terrorists has hatred and lost pride as a motivation.

Secondly she seems to welcome the idea of USA becoming a one-party state, by saying that the democrats should be gotten rid of altogether. Sure there are other (minor) parties in the US, but I doubt that she would applaud their rise to power.

johnny 07-15-2003 10:41 PM

What an ....erm....unpleasant female. :D

Reeka 07-16-2003 12:23 AM

Just shows that there was extremists in everything. Of course it isn't unpatriotic to be liberal. That is one thing that is great about America---we have a right to not approve of everything our government does. I believe the two party system helps to keep things in balance.

Night Stalker 07-16-2003 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reeka:
Just shows that there was extremists in everything. Of course it isn't unpatriotic to be liberal. That is one thing that is great about America---we have a right to not approve of everything our government does. I believe the two party system helps to keep things in balance.
Actually any party system destroys what was intended. Parties ignore what the representitives are supposed to do .... represent their constituants intrests.

Chewbacca 07-16-2003 04:37 AM

I can't stand the old "your unpatriotic for having a dissenting veiwpoint" argument. It is a lame and unintellectual practice that she takes to the extreme.

I have gotten a great kick out of listening to her extreme type of neo-con foam at the mouth on many a talk-radio show. These days, with the supreme court partially upholding affirmative action, being closely followed by the Texas Sodomy case gave me hours of entertainment as they sputtered and fumed. Anne should get her own radio show. I would love to hear her show how dumb she is more often on the public airwaves. Here is an example...

I saw her on Geraldo's saturday FOX show, she started laughing when the "liberal" began a discourse about the current Iraq situation and how our troops are dying practically everyday. LAUGHING!

She was so caught up in her superiority complex, she failed to hear what the guy was saying and laughed at a most inappropriate time. It was shameful, but goes to show what a pompous arrogant superiority complex gets you. I mean, It's one thing to have a counter-argument agianst the poor planning and over-optimism, I can respect that.

It is another thing to keep laughing while the guy turned the discussion to the grim and tragic truth that our guys & gals are dying. Shameful.

It would serve her well to get some listening skills, look up Patriotism in the dictionary, and at least glance at the constitution while she is at it.

[ 07-16-2003, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]

Timber Loftis 07-16-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Q: Are you concerned that President Bush may have exaggerated evidence for the existence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?
A: No. People who love their country ought to be more concerned about what happened to those weapons. Are they in Syria? Are they in al-Qaeda's hands? Are they going to end up in New York? And instead, all we get is female taunting from the Democrats.

Q: Did you say female taunting? What does that mean exactly?
A: [Laughs.] I think your readers will understand it.
Q: TL, what do you think of that response?
A: I think if she was here in front of me right now and said that, I'd bitch-slap her.

Q: Bitch-slap?
A: I think I'll trust the readers to understand it.

[ 07-16-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]

Rokenn 07-16-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I saw her on Geraldo's saturday FOX show, she started laughing when the "liberal" began a discourse about the current Iraq situation and how our troops are dying practically everyday. LAUGHING!
What else would you expect from the pinup girl of the hateful Right? She stated in an interview last year that the 9/11 hijackers should have crashed a plane into the New York Times building while they were at it.

Rokenn 07-16-2003 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Q: TL, what do you think of that response?
A: I think if she was here in front of me right now and said that, I'd bitch-slap her?

Q: Bitch-slap?
A: I think I'll trust the readers to understand it.
I thought lawyers only bitch-slaped by padding their bills? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

khazadman 07-16-2003 10:54 AM

Did Coulter say that liberals are engaged in treasonous behavior because they hold a view contrary to hers? No. She accuses them of activly supporting and protecting the enemies of the US. For decades liberals in congress and around the country conspired to hinder our struggle against communism. I remember members of Congress meeting with Castro in New York, giving the brutal, murderous dictator a pair of boxing gloves that had Castro is #1 printed on them. Hell, to this day you can still find libs who claim that Alger Hiss (a soviet spy) was rail roaded. And this in spite of the release of his soviet handlers papers showing just what he did for them.